BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Avoid new jersey!

Post Thanks / Like

Avoid new jersey!

I would discourage anyone from trying to have their safety inspection at the Asbury Park station.

Just to recap, I originally sent my paperwork to the DMV in Trenton in APRIL. Received an ok for a safety inspection, which was "first available appointment" in mid June.

After bringing the car there, Joe inspected the car for 2.5 hrs, bringing me in only to point out arbitrary items like:

• a brake line rubbing against the frame by the steering column (even though it's solid mounted to frame)
    • windshield wiper touching the body slightly (his opinion it would get torn up)
    • "didnt care for" my front blinker placement
    •*gaps in front floor pan need to be "sealed"

So ok, I agreed to fix those items. But reinspection dates are available in another 8 weeks–August 29th...

I agree and have my inspection last week, which takes another 2 hrs. Total of 4.5hrs inspecting my very simple hot rod...

After he agrees that it passes, he has to send in the paperwork to Trenton. Well called today and they still haven't received it–another week has passed...Call their office and "Joe is on vacation this week." Even though he was supposed to send it in last week.

So in total I've waited 5 months and still have no plates, with no end in site. So if you're in a hurry to build a car in NJ, I'd say buy one done or build it somewhere else. The experience here has been frustrating to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's why I bought one together and am taking it apart and doing it my way, less chance for me to go to jail for getting into a fight with nj inspectors because I have a finished car that I can't drive for months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eight weeks to get a re-inspection is absurd. Why so long, does every car in Jersey need an inspection each year?

The stuff you needed to fix, they should have been able to check out, in 15 minutes or less. What did they do for the other hour and forty-five minutes?
    They still send paperwork in this day and age, when a couple of keystrokes or a click of a mouse, and it could be done in seconds..