Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hydraulic clutch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic clutch

I know Mike Forte has a hydraulic clutch conversion for the Wilwood pedal assembly and I may end up going that way but it is rather pricey @ $468 plus shipping. Are there other less expensive hydraulic clutch assemblies that will work with the Wilwood pedal assembly? Ease of install is worth paying a few extra $ so you guys say Mike is the only way to go then so be it.

And with a hydraulic clutch do I need to mount all the hardware on top of the wildwood clutch pedal as shown in the manual or can certain items be left off?

Thanks!
    Don
    Last edited by brrgy; 09-11-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Mike's hydraulic clutch setup on two builds. Agreed it's not cheap. The Wilwood master and CNC slave that Mike provides are around $150 retail. Add to that the SS braided line, fittings, and the custom machined parts to mount the slave and attach to the clutch arm. Fair price for all that? I guess you have to judge. There may be alternatives out there, but none that I've tried so can't give any recommendations.

But to your second question, no you won't use any of the parts FF provides to convert the Wilwood clutch setup to a cable drive. The Wilwood clutch master cylinder bolts to the Wilwood pedal box just like the brake master cylinders, and attaches to the clevis already on the top of the clutch pedal arm. Couldn't be much easier. You'll need to put a block-off plate on the footbox for the clutch cable exit hole since it's not used.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-11-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on your motor and trans combo.

I made my own hydraulic clutch kit based on this design. Works perfectly.

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/Test3550bracket.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
    Depends on your motor and trans combo.

I made my own hydraulic clutch kit based on this design. Works perfectly.

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/Test3550bracket.html
    This is a nice setup - almost exactly like what Mike provides. It appears the only parts you need to add on is the MC and the stainless hose.

I too have Mike's setup, Yes it works but man it took me several hours to get it working along with Mike's support and shipping parts back and forth, etc. etc. If I had to do it all over again, for the money - looks like what CDXXVII found will save you over $200 that you can use for other stuff.

At the end of the day, what you need is the custom bracket - then you can purchase the MC, Slave, hose and a piston rod. Boom done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Mike's setup and after 36k miles and 12 years, it's still perfect, never a leak. There might be other items to be judicial (cheap) with, but not this one. Just pay the man.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
    I have Mike's setup and after 36k miles and 12 years, it's still perfect, never a leak. There might be other items to be judicial (cheap) with, but not this one. Just pay the man.
    X2.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed Mike's system and it has been great.
    FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475HP/500lbs), TKO600, Power steering, Power Brakes, Hydraulic Clutch, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
    Visit my Blog: http://crawleyscobra.wordpress.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a handful other hydraulic clutch options including an internal, hydraulic throwout bearing. All work well but are no less expensive than Mike's setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mikes it is��!
    Thanks for the input !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I engineered a few things and the trial and error process takes a long time and is expensive. So when the time came for the hydraulic clutch I used Mikes setup, it's already tried and tested. Just bolted it on then moved on to the next thing on the long list.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Gym membership is $100. You could build up that left leg and keep the MAN-strength clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Same here. Very pleased with the one Mike provided.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017