Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japollon 289 FIA Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel-
    She looks fantastic!! You did a really nice job, and got all of the details just right!

I look forward to seeing her after paint. Congratulations on a wonderful job, and you should be very proud of your work!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel
    Awesome work. Your car looks beautiful.
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really nice Joel, can't wait to see it in paint!
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the car looks great... a clean, well thought out job, that is excellently done.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not diligent about posting progress notes regarding my 289 FIA build on the Forum. I have posted a few pictures here and there in response to some other questions but not on my own thread. By way of an update, my car is at Ken Pike's shop in Yuba City going through the paint process. I took him the car with the body on initially and he set the gaps, fit the doors, hood and trunk lids plus a host of other things before taking the body back off. The body stayed with Ken and I took the chassis back home to complete the carpeting and a few other details. Last week I took the chassis back to Ken and at some point in the near future the car will get finish body work, paint and some reassembly. Here are a few pictures of the progress after getting the chassis back home.

Like others here I used Lizard Skin over the aluminum panels in both the interior and trunk areas. I sprayed the ceramic insulation for a heat barrier. It took about two and a half gallons.

20190211_180532.jpg
    20190211_180612.jpg

After the Lizard Skin cured, I covered all of the surfaces with Dynamat for sound insulation and control. So folks have asked me, why didn't I finish the job with Lizard Skin sound control? I do not have a good answer! How's that! I chatted with a couple of hot rod builders I know at SEMA and they did the Lizard Skin/Dynamat combo so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm not sure I would do it like this again. The Dynamat application takes hours and that crap sticks to everything! I'm still trying to get it off of my shoes.

20190220_113639.jpg
    20190303_153700.jpg

I used a German velour (backless) carpet instead of the carpet that came with the kit. It formed well to the corners and laid down very flat. I used Weldwood Landau top and trim adhesive (thanks Paul) where gluing was necessary. In the trunk, I made removable panels that cover the battery access and fuel tank access covers. The edges are bound so they look like they belong there--at least to me. The are held in with upholstery snaps.

20190308_164053.jpg
    20190308_164117.jpg

Seats are mounted with the Breeze seat mount system which I like very much. The seats with this system are easy to get in and out quickly and are adjustable. Everything else here is pretty typical. I covered the transmission tunnel with the same leather as the dash and am hoping I have enough left for the door pockets. We will see. My transmission tunnel is the aftermarket, thicker aluminum variety (I can't remember where I purchased it) and is held in place solidly by the center dash mount in the front and 3M velcro-type stuff in the rear (thanks Dave).

20190311_172938.jpg

Ken Pike suggested that I fabricate a permanent shim for the windshield so I did. The gap in my windshield attachment is only on the passenger side and tapers a little from top to bottom. I made it out of aluminum and tapered it with a belt sander. It's removable and held in place by a couple of #8 countersunk machine screws.

20190118_141434.jpg

The 289 fuel filler is in the rear section behind the passenger seat. As such the filler tube runs through the trunk and I didn't want it flopping around so fabricated a couple brackets to hold it in place then powder coated them and called it a day. They screw into nutserts with #10 machine screws through the carpet. My Lemans cap mounts directly to the body as in the Black Mamba done by Erik T.

IMG-20190310-WA0026.jpeg

As always many thanks to all of those on the forum who are so gracious with their help and time. Chris and Peter, fellow 289 builders, especially but also Paul, Dave and a host of others. Thank you all. Next post will be after paint and the finished product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, Joel. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. Should be about a month. Just in time for spring!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Joel! You're going to love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Joel! Love the carpet, makes me want to do mine over...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow! What Do You Charge To Do Carpet Work? Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel-

Like everything you have done, the most recent update shows the quality work you are doing! She is going to be beautiful when she is done!

I am curious about the carpet you bought. Would you be willing to share your source?

Keep up the great work, and I can't wait to see your next update; will it be a graduation type post, or just an "I finished" update? Either way I am sure it will be awesome!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve, I am out of town at the moment but have all of the information regarding the carpet at home. I'll be back on Sunday and will post the information here. It was $70 a yard. I do remember that much. Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, here is the information regarding the source of the carpet I used. It is Black German Velour, D33062 (backless). Here is the web address: http://www.globalupholstery.com/prod...es-carpet.html

Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Ken Pike's shop in Yuba City California today looking at the progress on my car. It's primed, blocked and pretty much ready to go. Ken will start the painting process on Monday and I should have it back in my garage in a couple of weeks. See the picture below with an anonymous person standing in the background. Joel

20190530_141335.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. Are you anxious? I would be.

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

Post Thanks / Like
    Paint on my 289 FIA is done. Sort of a non-traditional look for a 289 car with the Arctic White stripe and red pin stripe. Reproduction of the white looks a little creamy in the pictures but really in the sun it is a pure white. These pictures are before cut and buff but still looks amazing. I am very pleased with Ken's work and his attention to details. I could not be more happy. Assembly maybe later this week and back home the following. Joel

Attachment 108342

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I like the red accent stripe. Well done.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Joel! Soon enough it will be back and you'll be driving.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    One more shot.

image1 (2).jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking fantastic, Joel! I'm right behind you and can't wait to see some color on mine in the coming months.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel
    I was at Ken’s this past Monday and thought you already picked up your car. As i was leaving i saw your chassis. If i was thinking i would have asked to see the painted body and would have taken pictures...sorry. Your build looks really good. I like that german carpet you chose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are just a few more pictures of my car during the assembly phase. Body is back on, windshield is in place and for the most part she is a roller. I will complete the assembly process when I get her home on Monday. Getting close!!!! Will be driving in a rally on July 4th!!!

image1 (5).jpeg

image1 (4).jpeg

image2 (2).jpeg

25. Likes Straversi, Papa, Chadillac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking beautiful

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update.....pictures to follow.

My car is virtually done. I've driven it about 200 miles so far. My last trip was to the regional CHP office in Rohnert Park, CA for VIN assignment. They assign a unique California VIN and no longer are allowed to utilize the FFR serial number. From there it was back to the CA DMV....always an adventure! After about an hour I had all the paperwork approved and received my SB 100 number--2019186. I am assuming that is the 186th number assigned in 2019. Given it's October and there are a total of 500 SB100 numbers available each year, it does not appear folks are building a lot of cars in CA.

There have been a couple of frustrating issues in getting the car complete. The under door aluminum pieces had to be significantly altered to fit correctly. The same was true of the front splash shields. The radiator aluminum pieces were so far off I ended up fabricating new pieces to get them to fit correctly. Is the experience the same with these particular pieces for 289 FIA owner/builders??? It's all a part of the build process I guess.

As well, California CARB (California Air Resources Board) requires a closed PCV system. My motor had a PCV valve but and open breather on the opposite side valve cover. Not a big problem to get a closed cap with a nipple and run a hose to the clean side of the air cleaner. Still, all of this stuff takes time. No matter, it is all good! I have a few rattles to sort out but that is all a part of the process. In all, I am pleased with the parts and pieces supplied by FFR and am looking forward to some extended trips soon given the northern California rain stays away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Joel! She looks amazing. Looking forward to the finished pictures.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks EZ$

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joel,

Congratulations on making it through the CA process! Big milestone. My radiator pieces fit ok, i had to modify them to fit the oil cooler lines though. My wheel well splash guards however don't fit well. At some point i will replace them.

I just redid my fuel fill setup due to some leaks that cropped up. Replaced the sender unit orings, turns out i had the square ones. Also replaced the fill tube seal with a Ford part and added some more supports to the fill tube.

Chris
    Last edited by cnutting; 10-05-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link

Post Thanks / Like
    All sounds good Chris. I am having some fuel filler venting issues. I'll send you an email. Joel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12