Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power window mounting---Are you happy with it?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Power window mounting---Are you happy with it?

I've got 2 818C's in here now and not really liking the way the windows go in. Does anyone have any alternative ways to support the glass when fully up?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking for the same answer. It seems like the glass should be taller to keep the power window unit lower while the window is all the way up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne, can you be more specific? My windows seem to seal well when fully up and the door is closed, though it took a lot of trial & error. When the door is open with the window up, it is a little shakey, but I can close the door firmly without worrying about the glass. The only problem I have is raising the window with the door closed because the top edge catches on the bottom of the felted seal around the jam. If I raise the window a couple of inches before closing the door, all's good.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I've got 2 818C's in here now and not really liking the way the windows go in. Does anyone have any alternative ways to support the glass when fully up?
    Wayne, I'm giving my windows a go right now and here is what I've discovered; the window curvature matches the opening okay. The window regulator curvature matches the window curvature. The big problem is that if kept on the same plane, the regulator bottom would need to be on the inside of the door framework. Can't do this unless you want to completely remake the door framework.
    My solution;first I de-arched the window regulator to about 1/4 of original arch, next scavenge the rear window channels from inside your donor car. Next I bought some window channel liners and pressed a length inside the arched window guide. Next I cut the factory mounting points from the channel & welded back a couple mounting bolts. Weld 2 extra tabs onto the door frame at appropriate place forward of the window leading edge to mount arched window guide channel. Adjust as necessary. Next, I made some bronze shoes to mount onto the regulator slider to prevent the plastic guide from disengaging. After all this, I believe I can live with the window operation.