Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  6
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eaton's Mk4 #9130 Southern Oregon Build Thread-Wiriing/Dash progress

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A Big Congratulations From The Swamp Lands Of Louisiana!

2. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mark! Love to see the look of happiness and relief we all get when it finally comes to life. Bet the boys love that sound.
    -Steve
    MK IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

4. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice video Mark, sounds awesome. Good to here you pushing through making good progress. First go cart ride will be soon!
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

6. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like your still enjoying your build. Congrats on the first start. You'll be driving in no time.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Cobra Colorist. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

8. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark
    Thats awesome. Looks like youre having a blast. Youll be driving it soon. Congratulations

10. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Well done.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, vinyl dash w/ glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and front speaker boxes.

12. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WooHoo! Congrats!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    Plan: 427W-X, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, first start Oct 22, 2017, first go-cart Mar 26, 2018

14. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4th or so brake line re-route and starting alignment

With my recent first start I realized that my brake lines were a little close to the CATS, so I moved them, again and hopefully for the last time. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before with all my meticulous planning. Here are the photos. I was a little irritated at first but find that I kind of enjoy routing brake lines.

I then had to bleed the lines (including hydraulic clutch) so I decided to go ahead and replace my DOT 3 fluid with DOT 4 RACING fluid. I used this slick CNC brake bleeding cap thing that makes this an easy one person job. I love this little gadget.

Next, I worked on centering my power steering rack. I found this thread helpful,

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...etup-Procedure
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Alignment cont.

I cut 1/4" off the aft limb of the UCA to help obtain 8° castor

I have been puzzling with alignment in the back of my head since build school. I am determined to figure it out myself. Trusting a shop to do it doesn't seem like a good idea. Plus, this gave me a reason to buy a self leveling laser and some Longacre alignment equipent. I fixed the laser level at 90* to the chassis to help figure out trueing up the wheels.

Of course, I double checked using the string method.

Post Thanks / Like

Clutch pedal stop and cooling fan light

I fabricated and installed a clutch pedal stop bracket. I copied this directly out of the 40 watt garage build thread. Thanks Fixit! I'll powder coat it later.

I also tapped into the blue cooling fan power wire in the front harness and wired in a cooling fan LED light for the dash as per instruction from Edwardb. Thanks Paul! I don't have a photo of that but I did test it and it works!

I must say that I love just firing up the 9130 and listening to her purr. Can hardly wait to start go karting !!

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Heaters and more Electrical

I put together the Cobraheat seat heaters. Pretty straightforward. I hope that spray adhesive holds them in place.

I think that they must have shortened the cables that come with these things, I couldn't get them to reach the aft part of the cockpit. I was hoping I could get them to come out behind the restraint anchors.

this will have to do.

I am in the middle of wiring mayhem but little by little it is starting to make sense. I am making meticulous notes of my progress. I have been puzzling over the switched power source and wiring for some time. I decided to hit the EASY button and get a fuse box from Painless for my 12V switched power. I will run it off of the Electric choke feed with the power coming from the Busbar. This thing is really nice for inexperienced folks like myself. It comes all prewired with two relays, two circuit breakers, and seven switched sources for all my ridiculous electrical mods...

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mark,

I Truly Hated The Wiring Aspect Of The Build!
    Wish Papa Lived Near Me For This Talks!
    Good Luck From The Dark-Dart Side!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Mounting Brackets

I was hoping to be finished with my wiring at this point but I am stalled and waiting for parts. I made the mistake of ordering some LED dash lights from a shop in Australia which are being shipped on the slow boat.

I want my seats to be tilted back for comfort and the Breeze brackets were appealing but I realized I had enough scrap aluminum and some long acre ramps (which I won't use for their intended purpose) to build my own brackets.

Pretty straight forward and completely modeled after the Breeze units. The driver side is adjustable. The base plate on the left is 3/16" steel, I welded in some 5/16" studs to mount the adjustable bracket.

powder coated:

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Quick release Steering Wheel Hub

I ordered the Breeze splined quick release steering wheel hub kit. It is top notch and I am very happy with it. The instructions are meticulous but I found them puzzling, that is, it calls for removing the upper steering shaft to properly align the steering wheel to the polished aluminum hub adapter. I read through the instructions several times and it was clear to me that I would screw it up doing it that way. Also, my steering shaft has been in and out multiple times and it is now in with red loctite everywhere including set screws and its not coming out unless I rearend a parked car doing 70mph. I searched both forums to see if anyone posted installation without removing the steering shaft but came up empty handed.

The polished aluminum hub adapter has two concentric circles. The smaller circle fits snuggly over the steering shaft and the larger circle is the same size as the inner circle of the steering wheel which just fits the billet aluminum FFR badge thing. It made sense to me that these two circles need to line up perfectly in order for the badge to fit and this should center up the steering wheel perfectly on the shaft. I saw no reason I couldn't just do this on my bench and then just mount the whole thing. That is what I did.

I started by cutting off 5/8" of the steering shaft so the length would be appropriate.

Next I welded the spline to the shaft.

I then carefully aligned the steering wheel to the polished aluminum hub adapter and drilled and tapped the six holes for mounting. I used a drill press for the drilling. I put it all together and it came out nice. The arrow in this photo shows the two circles, the inner being on the polished aluminum hub adapter and outer being on the steering wheel, which needed to line up perfectly.

Very happy with the outcome.

22. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Mark. I see youre really getting your moneys worth using your welder and powder coating accessories.

24. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Power coating my dash and wiring it

I have spent some time customizing my dash and powder coating it. I actually purchased a cow hide to cover the dash but I didn't really like how it looked on my practice pieces. This powder coating method is a bit unorthodox but it works. I kept the fire extinguisher handy...

I wired it up and tried to button down the loose ends.

Tested the dashlights, this is encouraging. I must have done something right.

installed.

Fired up the engine but I'm having serious stalling issues. Not sure why, planning to rerun the sniper setup wizard again this weekend but if that doesn't solve my stalling problems I may start a thread for help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be the same issue with the oval filter as seen in this post by Wallace18 or other RF interference. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post367766

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post

Fired up the engine but I'm having serious stalling issues. Not sure why, planning to rerun the sniper setup wizard again this weekend but if that doesn't solve my stalling problems I may start a thread for help.
    Last edited by Greg K; 06-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567