Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My One Year Delay Is Now Over!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with NAZ; as long as all wear interfaces stay matched the valvetrain should be happy. Any torque to yield fasteners are one time use.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Since you ran the engine for a period of time with the oil contaminated by water, I would be very careful on reusing the cam and lifters. You may have gotten some scoring on the lobes or lifters which will result in a failure down the road. A new flat tappet cam and lifters are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. With that said, normally reusing your cam and lifters would be fine as long as they were kept matched up.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Gentlemen,

Just wanted you all to know that I talked to Mike Forte as well and he agrees with the consensus but suggested I upgrade to a Roller Cam if I could afford it.

In addition, Mike also agreed that the block should have been discarded and replaced instead of bringing patched with J/B Weld or any product like that.
    I may be pulling the engine on Sunday since we'll be Cruising The Coast on Thursday, Friday & Saturday, but it depends on when the Dart Block gets shipped.
    If any of you decide to come down for the fun, then please let me know.
    Thanks Again For The Assistance & Support!

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    Would love to come help with the pullout but I'm stuck in GA for a few more weeks. So sorry for your disappointment. There are still a lot of good folks out there who do the right thing, every time. It's just difficult to tell the difference sometimes, until they show themselves.
    Sorry you found the wrong kind.
    Hang in there, this is going to be a fantastic car!!!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve keep your hopes up. As a diesel mechanic the first thing I'd do is pull the pan and pressurize the cooling system. Try to find where the water is coming from.
    I've even seen bad timing case or timing case casket. If water is coming from one cyl. then you can narrow your view. Might save one head gasket. Seems to me that if you got into the cooling system while clearancing the block you would have found the problem before this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doutie View Post
    Seems to me that if you got into the cooling system while clearancing the block you would have found the problem before this.
    Doutie,

This has been a long grueling forum thread so you must have missed the spot where I found the leak.

The fellow that did the work hit two of the water passages in the bottom of the block and then attempted to plug them with J/B Weld, but never told me.

While the J/B Weld worked for a while, he failed to tell me what he had done and insisted that I let me come over to install some "Block Sealant" which would fix my problem.

Thank God I Didn't Because I'm Sure The Block Sealant Would Have Wiped Out My Rotating Assembly, Double Roller Timing Chain, Cam & Lifters Along With The Oil Pump.

Steve

PS: At least it looks like I can salvage these parts.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-04-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to read about the broken parts and broken trust.

x3 or 4 or whatever. Cam should be fine, keep the lifters in order. Replace the hardware.
    Last edited by Boydster; 10-04-2017 at 02:54 AM.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't hesitate to re-use cam and lifters because they are easy to examine for damage. A light and maybe even a magnifying glass will tell you whether they have been worn.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Steve,

That's the worst "shade tree mechanic" trick I have heard in a long time. I feel for you having followed some of your threads during this build. Like most of us, building your dream car is very personal. Sorry it turned out like this.

I wanted to mention something. Another poster suggested going to an LS as a replacement. It sure would be the way I would go if the budget allows. It is such a good engine especially as a 383 stroker. I'm on a Corvette forum so I hear people raving about them. Since you are in a contemplative state, it's worth considering.

Good luck getting your project back on the road,

WEK
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Hi Steve,

I wanted to mention something. Another poster suggested going to an LS as a replacement. It sure would be the way I would go if the budget allows. It is such a good engine especially as a 383 stroker.

WEK
    I'm committed to a SBC since the engine mounts have been set up for that power plant.
    Also, a new Dart Block is already on order.

Thanks-O-Million For Your Comment!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1. Hurricane Nate Passed Us Last Weekend So The Replacement Block (Dart SHP) Will Be Delivered Tomorrow!
    2. The Chevy Cobra Will Be Brought Back Home From My Brother's Place Too So Hopefully The 2nd Time Will Be A Charm!
    3. Hopefully, Sooner Than Later The Chevy Cobra Will Become The Dark Side Dart Cobra & The Testing Can Begin Once More!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-11-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great news Steve. Happy to hear. You will have that motor slapped together in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    You get to open the box for an early Christmas.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad your getting a replacement. I have had brand new short blocks go bad as well as problems with new long blocks. It is a pain to do everything over but worth it in the long run. Best of luck this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats Steve.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go get em steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Been following this thread. Glad you're now on the road to getting this whole situation in the rear view mirror. You handled it much better than I would have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, you've been able to maintain your cool to an inspirational level. I'm just beginning my build and can't imagine how disappointed is be after achieving go cart to only end up taking the engine back out. Thanks for showing us all the way to take bad news.
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The block delivery has been delayed to Monday of next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. My entire kit delivery was delayed due to all the hurricanes and shipping backups. I know it'll make for a looooong weekend.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Steve, it will all come together for you at some point. Hang in there and I'm sure the Chevy Cobra will be an awesome machine. BTW, thanks for the call last week regarding the Cruising the Coast Event. As of now, Factory Five will not be at the Emerald Coast Cruizin so I will pass on that as well.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here is the last recorded drive of the Chevy Cobra Go-Kart prior to it springing a leak.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

We'll start taking it apart to pull the driveline this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Here is the last recorded drive of the Chevy Cobra Go-Kart prior to it springing a leak.

Don't fret Steve, you will overcome. If it makes you feel any better your in good company, my 331 has sprung a leak as well. I'm in my first 200 miles and this issue is a major setback. In a big way! I took on the task of building the motor myself knowing a mistake could be a financial hit but I wanted the satisfaction/knowledge, knowing I built the power plant. I now have the car in the hands of a experienced engine builder and he informed me yesterday the motor needs to come out. Main bearing is shot, head gasket(s) are done, etc. As to the exact root cause of the leak (#3 cylinder flooded with coolant), still is yet to be determined but this guy suspects when I installed the oil pickup I should have bolted it down to the outer 2 bolt main instead of the inner. His words "A big no no". It's never good to hear a guy who has been building race engines for over 50 years say "I've never seen X do that".

I am heading to his shop today to get more detail on his diagnosis and form a plan but I am absolutely sick to my stomach about it. Major setback. In the grand scheme of things, it's all part of the deal. I knew I would make mistakes along the way and I am willing to accept the result. In the end, you will resolve your issue as well as I and the power plants that propel our cars will be stronger and better than ever.

RickP.
    Last edited by RickP; 10-13-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are starting to get me worried. While I hired a professional to rebuild mine, I do take pride in knowing that I took the engine apart (which was not easy. . . for me). However, I'm starting to regret not going with a crate motor. I take my hat off to the real car guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Don't fret Steve, you will overcome. If it makes you feel any better your in good company, my 331 has sprung a leak as well. I'm in my first 200 miles and this issue is a major setback. In a big way! I took on the task of building the motor myself knowing a mistake could be a financial hit but I wanted the satisfaction/knowledge, knowing I built the power plant. I now have the car in the hands of a experienced engine builder and he informed me yesterday the motor needs to come out. Main bearing is shot, head gasket(s) are done, etc. As to the exact root cause of the leak (#3 cylinder flooded with coolant), still is yet to be determined but this guy suspects when I installed the oil pickup I should have bolted it down to the outer 2 bolt main instead of the inner. His words "A big no no". It's never good to hear a guy who has been building race engines for over 50 years say "I've never seen X do that".

I am heading to his shop today to get more detail on his diagnosis and form a plan but I am absolutely sick to my stomach about it. Major setback. In the grand scheme of things, it's all part of the deal. I knew I would make mistakes along the way and I am willing to accept the result. In the end, you will resolve your issue as well as I and the power plants that propel our cars will be stronger and better than ever.

RickP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugi View Post
    You guys are starting to get me worried. While I hired a professional to rebuild mine, I do take pride in knowing that I took the engine apart (which was not easy. . . for me). However, I'm starting to regret not going with a crate motor. I take my hat off to the real car guys.
    Steve & Rick,

I can't even imagine how devastated I'd be in your situations. Building one of these cars is a labor of love and passion and to have such a major mile stone achieved and then taken away has to be tough. You are both dealing with it way better than I would be. Honestly, if it were me I'd likely be considering aborting the entire project and buying a Porsche.

Fugi,

When I started planning my build I knew there was no way I was going to try to build the engine, trans, rear end. I definitely like a challenge, but with the precise tolerances needed to have the desired performance I had in mind, a crate package was my only option. I looked at the cost of my chosen package and then thought about how expensive it could get if I made a 1/1000th of an inch error and that sealed it for me. Someday I'd still like to learn how to build an engine, but it will be in a $3,000 beater that I can give my grandsons someday, not for my roadster.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't think of a good way to put positive spin on it other than, "good thing to find out now, rather then later".......not really! Hey, at least she stops real good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Honestly, if it were me I'd likely be considering aborting the entire project and buying a Porsche.

It Now Has Become A Quest For I Seek The Grail!

https://youtu.be/pWS8Mg-JWSg

We all know this truth to be self evident for we are the chosen few who dare build our own cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Okay, the new Dart SHP Block Really, Really, Really is supposed to show up tomorrow afternoon!

Post Thanks / Like
    "And here is a signed statement that I won't pull the ball away when you try to kick it Charle Brown." Signed Lucy :-)

Keeping fingers crossed your "football" doesn't get snatched away again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gang,

> The Eagle has landed or at least my new Dart SHP Block is in the workshop as of this evening.
    > With said it is time to pull the engine and transmission so that i can disassemble the engine.
    > Shown below is the latest update from the Dark Side Dart Cobra Cave @ Camp Go-Dad-Go:

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-16-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gang,

> The Eagle has landed or at least my new Dart SHP Block is in the workshop as of this evening.
    > With said it is time to pull the engine and transmission so that i can disassemble the engine.
    > Shown below is the latest update from the Dark Side Dart Cobra Cave @ Camp Go-Dad-Go:

https://youtu.be/IGYtX-3p7xk

Steve
    Congrats, Steve.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you will have it back together and running better than ever in what you will look back on as a blink . . . well maybe more than a blink, but certainly much less time than it took the first time. The water line marks from the barious hurricanes are incredible. Now we know why you can stay so positive, having been through that (twice) a blown engine ain't nothing but a thing. Congrats

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your problem, my stomach would sink if this happened to me as I dont have a machine shop in my back pocket. Is the "clearancing" performed on any stroker? I think the answer is YES !!!

Reason I ask is I have a ford 331 stroker made from a 302 block.
    Last edited by mcwho; 10-16-2017 at 11:16 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK steve, now get to the parts! You will have fun with the DART.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problem, my stomach would sink if this happened to me as I dont have a machine shop in my back pocket. Is the "clearancing" performed on any stroker? I think the answer is YES !!!

Hey Bob,

I'm not familiar with the bottom end of any Ford, but "Good Engine Builders" clearance blocks all the time.

My engine was already a 383 stroker, but had a cast externally balanced crank with the very weak 5.556" stock chevy 400 rods from the 1970's, hence the reason why I wanted to upgrade the assembly to all forged parts that were internally balanced.

In my application, I knew that going with the 6.0" H-Beam Rods was going to create some issues so I turned to the fellow that had been doing my machine work for over 30 years.

If the gentleman, and I used the term loosely, would have told me when he hit the 1st water jacket, then he would have shown himself to be an honorable man; however, since he tried to hide his tracks on more than several occasions his lack of honor was exposed.

Our Takeaway From My Misfortune Is To Always Be Honorable Men!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    The SBF (302) block isn't "clearance'd" for a 331 like a 347 would be.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    The SBF (302) block isn't "clearance'd" for a 331 like a 347 would be.
    Mine was. A few minutes with a die grinder to prevent possible disaster. A Ford block doesn't have the issue with hitting a water jacket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Weendoggy & Rich GRSC,

Glad you guys could put Bob's (McWho) mind at ease.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    ...A Ford block doesn't have the issue with hitting a water jacket.
    Ooooooh, was that a low blow and carefully crafted thinly veiled jab at the Chevy from Rich

Jeff

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast