Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 4 "guys" in the garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    The last couple days we have been driving around (~32 miles) our neighborhood.

-fixed leaks and don't see any new ones.
    -engine temp is ~80C and fan working great.
    -no parts missing
    -no strange/usual noise
    -brakes works better after I bled them again
    -speedo is working, forgot to attach gps cable
    -tach is working, forgot to run a cable to coil to pick up the pulse.
    -noticed fuel pump needs config, later
    -clock (heard that some people use the radio/mem cable from resetting it over and over)

Never seen so many thumbs up driving around
    We even saw a police car, got bit scared - cop just looked and gave us a thumb up!
    Last edited by broku518; 03-19-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided that I would need to charge my electronic devices, phone and such. So I ordered this USB and 12v charging kit from Amazon.
    From leftover cover I cut out bracket and mounted under the dash. To power it I used one of the unused cables heat/radio/wipers/light, works fine.
    Out of sight and supports the dash as well.

I also used the radio_mem feed to power my clock.

I am in the process of installing the cockpit carpet. I was surprised how easy it was to the trunk areas, so I started this as well. Got most of it done, a lot of black in pictures
    Hint: get a really sharp knife and don't cut your fingers! Lay carpet pieces before gluing. That way you can see how the seems lines up and minimize the trimming.
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice charging ports. Those are a must nowadays.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I felt like trying the body on today. It was two man job, surprisingly easy. I haven't done front wheel alignment, so it may still look off.
    I heard that is kinda important to line up the door opening with the lock thingy. I am not sure what else to look for. To me it look pretty good!
    But again, I have no idea

The side exhaust pipes aren't lining up with the cutouts, but I think that is somewhat expected and will be tweaked later.
    I am thinking I should finish the wheel alignment first.

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that you don't have the body all the way down so that the rockers can wrap around under the chassis. 3 link rear? If so the rearward position of the back wheel in the opening may indicate that the pinion angle is not set properly however until the body is fully down and located front to rear we can't know for sure if that may simply be because the body needs to move.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    It appears that you don't have the body all the way down so that the rockers can wrap around under the chassis. 3 link rear? If so the rearward position of the back wheel in the opening may indicate that the pinion angle is not set properly however until the body is fully down and located front to rear we can't know for sure if that may simply be because the body needs to move.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff, Thanks! Right, it moved down a bit, now the under body lip in under the body. Will post more pics...

Post Thanks / Like
    So today is another 'body on and body off' day. I noticed couple spots where the bulbs seal was pretty tight - trunk sides and lower areas. Also, the door striker area could use a trim.
    I was thinking about trimming the dashboard lip part, but first I only removed couple washers that I used under the screws to hold it in place.

After I trimmed all these areas and removed the washers, the body was super easy to install. Like 30sec
    Next I installed the rear and front QJ bolts. Check the gap in hood opening in relation to the frame, pretty close.

Now I am prepping for the windshield fit....more to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I was bit spooked about the wheel position, but realized later that alignment is still needed.
    To make me feel better I turned the upper arm bolts and move the wheel in favorable angle

Summary:
    My door strikers are about 1/4" recessed in relation to the fiberglass door opening. On both sides.
    Body is wrapped around the bottom edge (on sides).
    I will trim the dashboard rolled edge. I noticed it isn't entirely even and see some gaps there. It isn't a must, but it bugs me.
    Trimmed trunk area, sides and lower plates about 1"4"
    Trimmed both sides out panels to get better fit. Panels behind the seats where the bulb seal goes.
    Front body centered in relation to the frame. Measured front multiple frame members.

Ignored the front wheels, no alignment done. The rear looks pretty good.

Overall body fit experience: Scared the heck out - talked about it - got some beer - simplified - super easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    ...I was bit spooked about the wheel position, but realized later that alignment is still needed.
    To make me feel better I turned the upper arm bolts and move the wheel in favorable angle

Summary:
    My door strikers are about 1/4" recessed in relation to the fiberglass door opening. On both sides.
    Body is wrapped around the bottom edge (on sides).
    I will trim the dashboard rolled edge. I noticed it isn't entirely even and see some gaps there. It isn't a must, but it bugs me.
    Trimmed trunk area, sides and lower plates about 1"4"
    Trimmed both sides out panels to get better fit. Panels behind the seats where the bulb seal goes.
    Front body centered in relation to the frame. Measured front multiple frame members.

Ignored the front wheels, no alignment done. The rear looks pretty good.

Overall body fit experience: Scared the heck out - talked about it - got some beer - simplified - super easy
    Looking good brother!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasommer View Post
    Looking good brother!
    Thanks Jimmy!
    Baby was working on the body, smoothing out dings, or rather making new ones!

Also tested the backlight on gauges, sweet
    Last edited by broku518; 03-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, back to work. Today was working on some loose ends on carpet area.

And did the most important mod of all, cup holders!

Also got some cheap floor mats and trim them to fit, not bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Great!
    The cheap floor mats are a great idea, but be CAREFUL they won't stay put, unless you anchor them some way or mount them to something stiff.
    The drivers side will push forward and can get bunched up under your gas and/or brake. Just be careful.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are those the upgraded polished pipes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Looks Great!
    The cheap floor mats are a great idea, but be CAREFUL they won't stay put, unless you anchor them some way or mount them to something stiff.
    The drivers side will push forward and can get bunched up under your gas and/or brake. Just be careful.
    Thanks for the tip. Right now they feel very snug, I trimmed them very tight, can't even pull them out without a significant effort. But will watch out for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalKnowledgeNone View Post
    Are those the upgraded polished pipes?
    Are you referring to these side pipes? Yes, they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'm debating if I should get the polished side pipes or not. The upgrade for the polished pipes is pretty expensive and I'm trying to decide if that's worth the cost or if polishing the side pipes is something I can do on my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I'm debating if I should get the polished side pipes or not. The upgrade for the polished pipes is pretty expensive and I'm trying to decide if that's worth the cost or if polishing the side pipes is something I can do on my own.
    I was having this same debate myself but have decided on going with Gas-N pipes because of the sound. They are pricey so it will be an add on for later, which means I will be going with the bare pipes that come with the kit first. No sense spending on the upgraded polished pipes when I'm just going to replace them later.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right, I guess this would be based on your overall scheme idea. I like the chrome look on outside, matching the rest of parts. You can also get them bare and paint it yourself,wrap it or coat it.

Thanks,

Broku518
    Last edited by broku518; 04-09-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of apples and oranges there. The polished stainless sidepipes from Factory Five are just that. Polished stainless steel. The base pipes (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about) are mild steel with a standard mill finish and not made for polishing. They need to be painted, ceramic coated, whatever. HTH
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last couple days. Started on alignment. To be honest, I don't like it. My floor isn't leveled, I needed to measure each time I moved to other wheel. Also, keeping up with 3 different angles isn't that easy. First aligned the rear, then ran some kite strings and measured toe. The caster and camber is another story by itself. I got it close, but still need a professional shop to dial it perfect. No worries there.

Worked on lighting connectors, got some handy testers, lights on, off, on, off, on, off, repeat

Post Thanks / Like
    I found it easiest to set ride heights, square the rear, set front camber and caster, yes it requires going back n forth a bunch and sometimes you're turning the upper adjusters 1 flat at a time. Once I get the caster and camber where I want it, repeatable and accurate, I set the toe. Go back and double check and be proud.

Make sure you have your steering rack centered in the frame and then have the steering wheel marked for the center of the rack. When you do toe, make damn sure the front wheels are straight ahead. You can have 1/16 toe and still be 5* to the right...

I went through a lot of questions and re-dos on mine, but I got it and on Go-Kart, the Boss was straight and cool....
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    I found it easiest to set ride heights, square the rear, set front camber and caster, yes it requires going back n forth a bunch and sometimes you're turning the upper adjusters 1 flat at a time. Once I get the caster and camber where I want it, repeatable and accurate, I set the toe. Go back and double check and be proud.

Make sure you have your steering rack centered in the frame and then have the steering wheel marked for the center of the rack. When you do toe, make damn sure the front wheels are straight ahead. You can have 1/16 toe and still be 5* to the right...

I went through a lot of questions and re-dos on mine, but I got it and on Go-Kart, the Boss was straight and cool....
    Thanks Boydster, but I will let this one go. With 3 kids around and time constrains it isn't as enjoyable.
    I figured I will need to get a hitch to tow this rocket to Jeff Kleiner for paint this winter. So I getting the hitch sooner, to tow to alignment shop/
    Last edited by broku518; 04-14-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Understood, man. We all have limitations for different reasons and need to know where and what they are. Mine is bodywork... ��
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I am working on brake vents. I saw some on ********** site, but figured I can make my own. In my case this just to cover the openings, not to cool my brakes.
    Went to Menards and got this wire mesh, 7 bucks, smallest they got

Little a bit of cutting and bending, not bad!
    Last edited by broku518; 04-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy, busy last couple days. I needed to double check my alignment. I did it myself, but wasn't entirely trusting it. So I did something I shouldn't - I drove it to nearby Firestone shop. It was about 2 miles.
    When I got there, the entire shop stopped working and came over and started taking pictures and asking questions.
    Same while driving in traffic, it felt like I was in a parade - people smiling and staring

Then went home and hired this painting crew, they did awesome job on painting the inside. Black rubber paint.

Then I worked some random stuff.
    Trimmed dash edge,
    installed the body,
    fitted back and front bolts, using 3/4 sleeve and rubber grommets.
    installed lights,
    roll bar,
    trunk lock and plate/light.
    Windsheild, pain in the butt, used shims
    fitted door, passenger side looks better, driver is ok
    install door lock, drilled out the lock opening on driver side for easy unlock
    install door rubber hinges
    gas tank cap

Noticed that it would be a pain to work on rear mirror, pending...
    Need to research the rear and front chrome bumper install hints.
    Last edited by broku518; 04-22-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You've Got The Best Helpers On The Planet!

Glad they are able to help you with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    You've Got The Best Helpers On The Planet!

Glad they are able to help you with your build.
    Thanks Steve. They are helpful, but it all depends on their moods

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve. They are helpful, but it all depends on their moods
    I'm sure the pizza helped motivate them. . Looking good!
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Busy, busy, busy. Worked on many things I can't even recall them. Looking at the pictures:
    -lights
    -front bumper kit
    -rear bumper kit
    -cut and fitted side pipes
    -drilled seats and bolted in place
    -drilled submarine belt, HUGE thanks to Jacob McCrea for shipping the brackets!!!

Also, did a Doughnuts and Starbucks run to test out the cup holders. For some reason we drove ~20miles.

Observations:
    -59 miles total
    -smiling for no reason
    -noticed oil pressure fluctuating a bit. For some reason I thought it would stay still
    -no missing parts
    -no leaks
    -turn signal relay bad. It worked before, not it doesn't. I switched it with the flasher relay to validate it. Ordered a new one from Amazon.

Last edited by broku518; 04-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    She looks great, Martin. You are moving right along. I hope to start making more progress in a couple of weeks. Right now it's all about getting the spring property chores done.

Keep up the great work,
    Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice work Martin! You and your helpers pace is very encouraging, as I hope to get mine by July and am shooting to have completed by Christmas. Thanks for the build thread!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    She looks great, Martin. You are moving right along. I hope to start making more progress in a couple of weeks. Right now it's all about getting the spring property chores done.

Keep up the great work,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave! It may seem fast, but I am only doing minimal body work/fitting. This will done by Jeff in winter.
    The main goal right now is to get it inspected. After that I can keep on working...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Really nice work Martin! You and your helpers pace is very encouraging, as I hope to get mine by July and am shooting to have completed by Christmas. Thanks for the build thread!!
    Thanks! Don't be fooled, it still requires a lot of hours and prep work (research). You can spread it over the time, but the results are same.
    I see you are in Fl, you can chug along any day. Here is IL it was brutal during winter time

Speaking of FL, we may be a neighbors soon

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, I knew this would come at some point...oil leak. I noticed one last night. Couple oil drops in pan/bell housing area.
    notes: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ow-bad-is-this

First, I freaked out. I envisioned taking everything apart and spending days working on it
    Then, started tracing it. I figured to start in highest spot - that would be valve covers. And yes, I felt some oil there! Called Mike F. got the proper bolts torque and torque them. While doing this I noticed more oil seeping. For now I will monitor and keep my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by broku518; 05-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is so nice outside, I don't want to work on this car. I want to drive more
    about 225 miles so far.
    -valve cover is leaking,
    -fan heat sensor is leaking (tiny)
    -the car feels very stiff and solid. As I keep finishing various parts, it feels really solid.
    -no missing parts.
    -some work shoes are bit wide

Getting there, working on rear splash guards.

Boys helped me to align the hood, it is pain to do from outside. They are the right size

I did the spindle mod. Boy, this was pain. I messed up the first, but it worked out well. Used a bit of oil to lube the spindle thread. Some are very rough to turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's cheating! Those little dudes are awesome helpers. Could have saved my back a number of times with half sized labor. Priceless photos.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    That's cheating! Those little dudes are awesome helpers. Could have saved my back a number of times with half sized labor. Priceless photos.
    -Steve
    Right?! I would twist and turn, they fit right in.
    They asked to be paid 5 bucks, I figured it was a good deal

Post Thanks / Like
    They asked to be paid 5 bucks, I figured it was a good deal
    That's hilarious. kids...
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those kid pics are priceless! You'll be happy you took those.

Car is looking GOOD! Wait until you drive one of the youngin's to school. They will be royalty for the day!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Today is the day. I am ready to submit the pictures and paperwork.
    Fingers crossed

A HUGE thanks to this community!!! You folks are awesome. I wouldn't be able to get to this point without your help!

Thanks,
    Broku518

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast