Likes Likes:  277
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gator's 818R

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!! can't wait to see it on track

Post Thanks / Like
    My Fast Lap at Pacific Raceways in the Enduro
    https://youtu.be/6UV9KxArunM

And a few laps the next day during the ST race. My fastest lap of the weekend is in there, an official 1:32.871 on the timing system. https://youtu.be/Xhjdx8w5Frs
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the laps down memory lane, loved racing at Kent (Now Pacific Raceway) when I lived out west. Track hasn't changed much other than if I remember correctly the road course use to come on to the drag strip just past the Christmas tree, MUCH better now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the videos Gator. That track is really nice looking. Lots of long straights. It's always educational watching and listening to you drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not specific to my 818R but related:

STI Update:The Short Version: Oil in the Coolant - No racing this weekend.

The Long Version: On the way to PIR I stopped by ORP to bed in my brake pads. The first session at PIR is Qualifying, not a good time to be bedding in pads, the other driver's don't appreciate 100 to 10 mph stops for no reason on the straights!

When that was finished I parked the car and heard gurgling in the coolant overflow tank. A lot of gurgling. And it kept gurgling. After 10 minutes the gurgling slowed down and I pulled the yellow cap off to see the chocolate brown color and floaters of oil in the coolant. Crap, head gasket seal failure!

I went on to Portland and dropped the car off at Surgeline. We suspect that the block's pulled threads repair and heads installation done at Rallispec has failed. Of course that's only speculation until we dig into the engine further.

Looking back I might have suspected something was going wrong when I had the positive psi in the crankcase under sealed dry sump vacuum. At the time I thought it was the 2 stage DS not keeping up with the loose built forged block. Now I suspect the repaired threads were starting to fail after a few heat cycles and the combustion gas was starting to slip out.

Check List Modification: After every full day of track practice or racing use my head gasket CO2 sniffer to catch issues early, rather than just before a race. It will now be part of my standard post race inspection.

I have to add this is not a Subaru issue, it could/has happened on LS and Coyote blocks, all traceable back to the ARP TQ issue. That caused the block to be repaired, and that repair could have failed on any race engine.

Worth a revisit:
    Damage Alert: How to Avoid Pulling Threads or Killing Head Bolts
    By JEFF SMITH JANUARY 26, 2018
    http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...ng-head-bolts/
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like

Front Brake Ducts

Given Rob T's recent experience, and the fact all my other race cars always seem to work much better with them, we are taking the opportunity while everything is easily reachable to install front brake ducts.
    We are using oem C6 Z06 ducts, a bit of 3" hose, and a rectangular inlet duct. The inlet duct will be permanently mounted to the front bumper. The hose will be attached to it, but only stuffed inside the Z06 duct. That way I can pull the front bumper off without having to unconnect the front ducts, the hose will just slide out of the Z06 duct. And vice versa for putting the front bumper back on. For now there will be no hose from the Z06 duct to a backing plate on the hub, we'll add that later if deemed needed.

The bumper will be cut out at the red line to match the duct inlet. The outboard holes in the bumper will be taped up until I think of a use for them too.

Pics:

Another Kudo to Josh Murray at ArcFlash for taking my concept and making it reality! https://www.arcflashllc.com/
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 06-07-2018 at 06:46 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

7. Thanks biknman thanked for this post
    Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty clever with how you're attaching the front intake to the ducting for easy removal/install. I'll be interested to see what difference those make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Pretty clever with how you're attaching the front intake to the ducting for easy removal/install. I'll be interested to see what difference those make.
    I'll get some caliper temp paint and run blocked and open to see if they make a difference.

Cuts Made:

818R ICSCC SPM

10. Likes biknman liked this post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should get gobs of air to the brakes from those big vents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Front Hood Ducting Almost Finished

The Front Hood Ducting is almost finished on the 818R. There will be rubber seal around the duct to hood interface. Josh at Arcflash has done some great work on the 818. When he's done with his part we'll swap the 818 for my STI. I'll take the 818 home to install the dry sump system and the fuel -AN lines, meanwhile he'll pull the STI engine out and we'll figure out why it's got oil in the coolant.

818R ICSCC SPM

14. Thanks flynntuna thanked for this post
    Likes Canadian818, biknman, flynntuna liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    lookin great!

16. Thanks flynntuna thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRacing View Post
    lookin great!
    Thanks!

Rear Trunk Lid mod. I took the crazy heavy trunk oem hinges off, which meant finding another way to hold the leading edge down. I was going to install 2 more hood pins, but Josh had a better idea, he extended the pin plate to include the trunk lid:

And the dash is trimmed to fit around the halo now:

The FFR shifter cables are at the cable shop to be shortened to use with my MR2 rebuilt shifter.
    We're getting close to bringing it home for the dry sump install!
    818R ICSCC SPM

18. Thanks biknman, flynntuna thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting closer to the final weigh in!
    Really like the rear trunk hood pin plates, I am going to copy Josh's idea. A sincere form of flattery.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 06-20-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    MR2 Shifter installed and new cables connected. Virtually every part that could be replaced with oem Toyota parts was replaced in this eBay special. I haven't driven it yet, but just sitting in the car and shifting while making vroom vroom sounds sure feels sweet!

Seats mounts re-done. We moved the seats over to center them behind the steering wheel and pedals. A sub belt mount bar was welded in to put the sub belts in the correct position.

No Pics, but the -AN lines are run for the fuel surge tank/pump and the dry sump pump. The DS system is ready to go other than a v belt. The Air Filter > Intake pipe> is almost finished, I eliminated all the PCV connections to the intake. At least initially I'm running an open DS system vented from the block main vent to the DS oil tank. Pics to follow on all that.
    818R ICSCC SPM

21. Likes Zach34, biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still can't believe FFR has not fixed the sub belt mount position. That is a huge safety issue.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Knock the inside vertical lip off the rear of the front fender as well, not needed

Post Thanks / Like

Almost ready to rent and race! And now the big question, how much does it weigh with a full halo cage?

The contestants!
    So far entries for the Gator 818R weight pool are:
    Mitch 1956#
    Hobby Racer 2084#
    Gator 1950#
    Wayne 2015#
    Retro 1990#
    DanielsDM. 1972#

And the envelope please.......2040 Lbs wet.

Added a secondary kill switch, easy for emergency workers to hit it:

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 08-14-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

25. Likes Zach34, Mitch Wright liked this post
    Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's basically what my S weighs wet. But without the halo cage lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    And Wayne is the winner. Let me know size and color T Wayne and we will get it in the mail. Choices are Red, Blue or Black IMG-0931.JPG IMG-0932.JPG

Congrats Gator, now make some noise with that thing.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 08-14-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to some great video and some performance stats....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I'm looking forward to some great video and some performance stats....
    Very soon! The 818R is at Surgeline in Portland getting tuned. They ran into issues with the injectors. It turns out they are DW 650s and they just would not tune consistently. After two hours of chasing the tune on the dyno we pulled it off and are replacing them with ID/Cobb 1050x injectors.

I'm racing at The Ridge this weekend in my STI so it will be a little while til I can get the 818R on track. Possibly Sept 19-20 at ORP. This weekend may be interesting at The Ridge, I see Retro Racing's 818R will be in the Enduro with me and the Dragonfly center drive 818RSR will be there too. Three Subaru powered cars in an endurance race is some kind of record, especially if we all finish it!
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 09-12-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Another unanticipated issue was the fuel pressure. It was too high. We thought it had an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator in the Outfront Motorsports billet fuel rails but on closer inspection we discovered it's the oem regulator. It can't handle the increased pressure of the FITech surge tank pump. https://fitechefi.com/products/40007/

So on goes an new regulator....
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Very soon! The 818R is at Surgeline in Portland getting tuned. They ran into issues with the injectors. It tunrs out they are DW 650s and they just would not tune consistently. After two hours of chasing the tune on the dyno we pulled it off and are replacing them with ID/Cobb 1050x injectors.
    I believe that IAG (JR) will not tune a car that has DW injectors. I had a bunch of issues with DW 1000s before.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 818R is tuned up and ready to go for a couple of days of shakedown testing at ORP. I hope to post pics and videos Monday!
    Here it is on the dyno at Surgeline in Portland:

818R ICSCC SPM

33. Likes Mitch Wright, Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ORP Track Days Report:
    The positives:

There is virtually no noticeable turbo lag from the mile long FMIC piping. I'm sure on the street it would be noticeable, but on the track it's not. So for 818Rs the FMIC is a viable option. Another day of testing without the following issues will tell me definitively.

The car is fast. Even with 277 HP it's quick. It spins up to 7,000 RPM fast as heck. I found myself hitting the rev limiter a few times because unlike the STI there's no noticeable reduction in power over 6,000 rpm, it's still pulling hard to the redline.

It handled and braked well.

I believe the cage makes the frame extremely stiff, and it gives a feel of confidence you can survive the bad times too.

However it was a frustrating but good shake down (as usual for a first couple of track days!)

It started off badly. I filled the 818R to the brim of the fill cap, then filled up Pearl (my Palatov D4) and took Pearl out on track. When I returned 30 minutes later I found a pool of gasoline all over the driver and passenger floorboard. OMG! There was at least a pint, maybe a liter of gas right under my seat and legs (if I had been in the car). Clearly the tank was leaking at a fitting or something. Clean up the gas for 20 minutes, then take out the driver seat and the firewall so I can see what's going on at the tank. It was leaking out the main tank plate, the one with six bolts in a star pattern. On checking them I discovered 5 of the six bolts were relatively loose. I've never had that plate off and never filled the tank to the edge of the gas fill cap before so I had no idea. My bad for not nut and bolt checking everything before putting the firewall on.

This did highlite a safety issue I'd never really thought about. Any leaks at the hose fittings, hoses, pump, tank, will hit the floor and run forward under the center tunnel, driver, and passenger. And there's lots of electrical connections around the tank and in the center tunnel. A fire like that and even with an open top you're going to be severely burned before you can get out.

I see two solutions:
    1) Seal the firewall with Permatex along the bottom edge and sides up a few inches. That should stop the gas from getting thru and running under my seat, but will be a pain in the rear everytime you need to take the firewall off to work on things. And there still needs to be a drain function so there's not a lake of gas in there waiting to explode.

2) Work up some sort of dam across the floor behind the firewall that is sealed to the floor to keep fuel from coming forward, but doesn't inhibit removing the firewall for maintenance. And drill a couple of drain holes with fittings for drain hoses that go to the very back of the car and dump leaking fuel outside away from the exhaust. Probably an aluminum angle bar sealed with oil/fuel gasket maker (like Permatex Right Stuff) to the floor.

On to the next issue....I take the now gasoline contained 818 on the track...I discovered the latch and link belts would not work with my arm restraints. Not a big deal in the long run, I've already ordered new rotary release belts that will work. I just need to be careful not to roll it today!

I discovered that my left elbow needs more room. I can barely turn left, my elbow jams into the side rail.

On to the track: The 818 had oil leak issues, as in all over the top of the engine once I started getting on the throttle/rpm. Big smoke clouds. Fire potential. What was so frustrating was that it had just come off two hours on the tuning dyno!

I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how oil could be on top of the engine. Based on prior experiences I thought it might be blow by escaping out the vents or a loose dry sump hose, leaking DS pump....or maybe even leaking below the engine and the air circulation was blowing some back on top. The driver side lower area was dripping oil. i figured it had to be a blowby out the vents issue.
    I drove home Saturday night, worked on the 818R to duplicate the valve cover venting I have on the STI, and went back to ORP Sunday afternoon.

It was still blowing oil somewhere. Brando installed red Defi gauges which are damn near impossible to read in sunlight when you have dark glasses on. But this time I had clear glasses which meant I could just barely read the oil pressure gauge. I noticed the pressure was fine until I got on the throttle and the engine spun up, then the needle started bouncing all over the place. I thought WTF!?! Then when I stopped to check on the situation I noticed the alternator belt was gone! And the dry sump belt had moved one rib over the pulley! I called it a day for the 818 and finished out the day driving the D4.

Today I dug into the issue. It appears the driver side AVCS Oil Control Valve O-ring is the culprit. The tuner mentioned having to pull it out and clean it because it was stuck. Apparently 14 year old O-rings can't handle that. At high rpm the pressure and volume cause it to leak out the back, across the top of the block and down the head onto the exhaust. A little research on NASIOC showed this is a known issue. I have a JDM EJ207 in the 818 so it uses slightly different AVCS valves than USDM cars. Apparently you can use the USDM parts but the connector is angled differently and the mounting bracket is slightly larger. I'm in no rush now that the season is over so I went ahead and ordered the correct JDM valves. Partly as a test to see how it goes. Only one is leaking but I figure it's time to replace them both.

On the Alternator belt and DS belt: I discovered the oem serp belt tensioner was destroyed. I think the nut that holds the tensioning wheel on came off and/or I incorrectly installed the jam nuts. Anyway that caused the DS belt to move out and force the alternator belt off the pulleys. I have the replacement parts and I'll be sure they match the STI's setup this time!

818 Sorting to do's:

Get a new Alternator belt.

Replace the oem tensioner parts.

Put the DS belt back where it belongs.

Eventually this winter I'll install a Fluidamper crank pulley.

Fuel Tank Leak Dam and Drain system

Remove Defi Gauges. Replace with readable gauges.

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to put the required back brace on the Kirkey seats. Install new driver's seat and belts that don't require a back brace and work with arm restraints.

Non Skid safety tape on the floorboards.

Probably remove the front sway, bar, more testing on that.

I'd like a bit less brake pedal pressure, I may have to adjust the leverage fulcrum on the pedal.

Probably modify the driver's side rails to be like NASCAR bars which will fix the elbow room issue. The full halo cage should mitigate any loss of frame strength.

It never ends.....!
    818R ICSCC SPM

35. Likes Bob_n_Cincy, Mitch Wright, Santiago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks gator for the great report.
    We did about a dozen autocrosses to shake down the 818 before trying a track day.
    It could have been frustrating, But we went home after each event with a list of improvements. As long as the same issue never repeated itself. The progress made us feel good.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you got the car out Gator. I did drill drain hole in the far right corner of the floor in case of a fuel cell leak. (my 15 gallon cell sits in the passenger seat area)
    I don't have a issue with my left arm but I am not a vary big man. With that said when I installed the seat I placed it as low and far to the right as I could, if you have the space that might do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update Gator. Did you get any video? I know we'd all love to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered that my left elbow needs more room. I can barely turn left, my elbow jams into the side rail.
    Check my build thread for my side roll cage modification. It's a ton of work, but I think worth it even though I haven't driven the car yet. I don't know how this hasn't been cited as an issue from more R guys. Just from sitting in mine I could tell it was a no-go.

If you stay with 1.5" tube, you can move the cage out 5 inches where your elbow is and still have about 1/8-1/4" clearance to the inside of the door/side-sail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Thanks for the update Gator. Did you get any video? I know we'd all love to see it.
    I do have some video but it's pretty lame. I was running about 60% most of the time trying to figure out all the teething problems. Once I replace the AVCS oli control valves I do a new one.

BTW, the NASIOC thread was wrong. The USDM AVCS oil control valves won't plug into my JDM engine harness connector! I have the correct JDM valves arriving this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Check my build thread for my side roll cage modification. It's a ton of work, but I think worth it even though I haven't driven the car yet. I don't know how this hasn't been cited as an issue from more R guys. Just from sitting in mine I could tell it was a no-go.

If you stay with 1.5" tube, you can move the cage out 5 inches where your elbow is and still have about 1/8-1/4" clearance to the inside of the door/side-sail.
    Thanks. I knew there was a thread about it somewhere but I couldn't remember whose mod it was. Much appreciated!
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    The JDM oil control valves arrived in record time. I bought them on eBay from the UAE, they arrived in a week!
    I put them in and went for a spin on my favorite back road. It ran great, no oil leaks, no smoke. I'm even getting used to the left elbow issue. It's only a problem on hairpin corners, regular sweepers are not an issue.
    I have another list of things still to do but it's a big relief to know leaking oil all over the top of the engine is not one of them.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm even getting used to the left elbow issue. It's only a problem on hairpin corners, regular sweepers are not an issue.
    I'm 6'3" with about a 6'4" armspan, so others might be able to get by where I could not. I think my biggest worry was being able to steer rapidly - like to catch the rear end from sliding or something. It's a million times better with the cage moved out. Feels larger inside, and offers some peace-of-mind for a potential side impact to know that at least the first steel part hit will be just a little further from my body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool Gator, get the thing out and burn some gas.
    I was up in your way last week (Poulsbo/Bremerton area) with family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zach you have a good point. I'll probably move them out this winter. Not as extensively as you did, mostly just in the area where my elbow needs clearance.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick Update: I was at ORP again for testing this weekend:

The Good: No turbo lag at all. I can reconfirm the above post that running a FMIC on a track is great. Even though there is a mile of piping that virtually everyone who sees it tells me will have horrible lag, there is none on track. And it's not just my subjective feel, I actually watched the turbo boost gauge thru several corners and out on to the straight. As soon as I cracked the throttle open prior to the apex the boost went from vacuum to positive by a pound or two. Post apex the turbo builds power as much as the rear tires can handle, so progressively opening the throttle resulted in progressive boost, and by the time I reached corner exit there was full boost available.

Of course if you miss a shift and end up in a lower gear under 4000 rpm there is a bit of a wait for the power to come back. But that's true on any turbo race car.

The Bad: Changing the AVCS control valves did not fix the oil leak. So then I thought it might be the adapter fitting on the bottom of the DS pump. I got that tightened up but still blowing oil on the left side of the engine out on track. It doesn't do it idling in the paddock. Now I'm thinking it's a driver side cam seal.

I also installed new Sparco seats. I never could get the Kirkey seats to fit correctly and be legal with a back brace. I'll post pics and video the next time I get on track without issues.

I reconfirmed the Defi gauges are worthless in the sun even with non-polarized sunglasses. They are on the list for a complete swap out next winter for sure.

The A7 tires have reached end of life. I'm looking at wheel/tire options. I already posted in the wheel tire thread but I'll ask again here, anyone tried running 15" wheels all around yet?
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 06-09-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

46. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's very interesting to hear about the FMIC. Good to see that it worked out to be a good solution.

I'm glad I went back and looked through your thread. You may have inspired my hood vent project. I am fabricating the plenum/duct from the back of the radiator to the hood vents. Mine will be a combination of aluminum panels and fiberglass. This is one of the most difficult re-design issues I've faced so far on the body. There's just nowhere to really seal the duct to.

How did you attach the side aluminum panels to the radiator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    How did you attach the side aluminum panels to the radiator?
    I'll get better pics and notes on it shortly.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like

The A7 tires have reached end of life. I'm looking at wheel/tire options. I already posted in the wheel tire thread but I'll ask again here, anyone tried running 15" wheels all around yet?
    Finding 15” wheels with the 5x100 lug spacing that are race proven is difficult. You can do a custom two piece race wheel but those are pricey.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    Finding 15” wheels with the 5x100 lug spacing that are race proven is difficult. You can do a custom two piece race wheel but those are pricey.
    Yep that's what I'm finding out! The front tire being limited to a little over 24" diameter on an R is the main reason I was looking for 15" wheels. The choices are minimal in race tires at 17" for the front.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast