Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  78
Likes Likes:  277
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gator's 818R

Post Thanks / Like
    I had run my car as low as 3.25" measured at the front of the main frame rail with 17" wheels and a 24.5" tire that put the front splitter at 2.75" which would contact the track in a few places here at NCM.

2. Thanks Sgt.Gator thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After replacing the oil fill hole cover, valve cover gaskets, coil hole gaskets, and valve cover grommet "O-Rings", the leak appears to have stopped. At least a 30 minute drive around town didn't leak any. Next up is a trip to Driving Force Graphics for race numbers and sponsor stickers, then a couple of days at Oregon Raceway Park (July 12-14) for Test & Tuning. Fingers crossed!
    If that goes well I'll enter it in the ICSCC NWMECS Enduro race at Pacific Raceways July 20.

There was a snafu getting the correct valve cover gaskets to fit a JDM EJ207 AVCS heads... for future reference they are:
    13270AA152 and 13272AA075.
    The grommets are 13271AA071.
    The coil gaskets are 13293AA051.
    Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 07-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

4. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Track Day Transmission Fail

The test & tune at ORP started off really well. The oil leaks were all gone! Once that was confirmed we started pushing it a little harder and harder.

Later in the afternoon when the track was at least 100 degrees or more, and with the help of another 818 builder, we did hot pit tire temps with a needle pyrometer. I was very pleased with the temps on my new Hoosier R7's. Very consistent 160-165 degrees across the treads. I was expecting them to be quite a bit hotter, Hoosier recommends 180-220 degrees for optimum stick. That's telling me that going to a wider tire is not going to help, at least not until I really start hammering on it hard.
    Front: 225/40/17
    Rear: 245/35ZR18

Then it happened. After about 2 hours of track time in 5 -10 lap sessions the 2004 WRX with Cusco 1.5 LSD trans broke. Loud clunking and an awful thump emanate from inside it now. We haven't taken it apart yet to see the exact damage, that will be later this week.

Then insult to injury: On the tow in the tow line came undone, the rope went under the right front wheel and wrapped around it, smashing/cracking the fiberglass fender out from the inside, and tearing off the brake line!

So back to the shop for fender repair, brake line repair, a rebuilt 5 speed, and this time a trans cooler package. I knew I should have done the cooler, and I can't say it would have helped for sure, but I will do it now that it's getting re-done anyway.

A few pics here, a one lap video later this week:

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 07-15-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    818R ICSCC SPM

6. Likes Mitch Wright, Pearldrummer7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much HP & torque are you putting down? Just trying to get a feeling for what the 5MT can handle in the 818R's.

Wondering when mine is going to give up the ghost
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    How much HP & torque are you putting down? Just trying to get a feeling for what the 5MT can handle in the 818R's.

Wondering when mine is going to give up the ghost
    277 HP; 251 TQ.
    Zach at ZF Design told me he has seen several with burned up 5th gears. The non-Stock forward tilt causes the rear to run dry. So on the next one we are going to plumb the coloer to drop the oil back in from the top towards the rear. However I don't think this is a burned up 5th gear.

I'm going to detune to 225 HP/225 TQ RWP for racing next year in a new class structure we have in our ICSCC NWMECS Mini Enduro series. That's getting dang close to what a NA motor could do, which is tempting and the ability to lose more weight and complexity! You would think that at a Turbo 225 HP the trans and engine should last a long time....
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Gator: Sorry to hear the news of your 5MT. If you are looking for a spare, I have one (left over from Chad), sitting on my shelf. PM me. I broke mine (still not sure what broke yet) but punched a gear tooth through the case. Going to a 6 speed. I had 320 RWHP, but based on my instruments, didn't get much above 275. I did see some high trans temps though, no cooler, running 7 or 8 lap sets.

Did you have fun while it lasted? I look forward to seeing the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gator,
    On my 5mt I block off all the oil passage ways that let oil make it to the center Diff chamber. I figured that would keep more oil on the rotating parts during acceleration.

The 5mt failure I had was a result of the ring gear bolts coming loose. This was a transmission that had never been apart.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about the transmission troubles. Just seems like one thing after another with these cars...

Thanks for sharing the tire temp data. I will probably mirror your wheel/tire size setup. That's a huge help. What are the widths of your wheels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the transmission troubles. Just seems like one thing after another with these cars...

Thanks for sharing the tire temp data. I will probably mirror your wheel/tire size setup. That's a huge help. What are the widths of your wheels?
    Your more than welcome!
    Enkei 17”x8” +45 Front 818
    Enkei 18”x8.5” +45 Rear 818

For the new Enduro Spec class I will be experimenting with Konig Dekagrams 17" x 9" +40 on all four with Toyo Proxes R1R 235/40/17 Front and 255/40/17 Rear; 200 Treadware tires. Although they are by number larger, in reality they are the almost the same size as the Hoosiers. I'll post up some test numbers when I get back on the track, but it will be awhile.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    I have those wheels and I had to run a 5mm spacer to clear the Sti Brembos in the front

Post Thanks / Like
    Gator, I had heard that running less than 3.5qts could be a problem so I ran 3.5qt+ in my 2004 WRX trans without issue with about the same HP and torque. Glad to hear you got in some good shake down laps and sounds like you are getting close. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the 200TW tires on the 818, I never did try them on the 818 but have driven Corvettes to Miata's with them and I am impressed. We just did a ChampCar race here in a Miata (3rd overall Sunday and won our class both days) and after 15 hours of racing the tires are in good enough shape for a track day or 2. And they never fell off we all ran our quickest laps in Sundays race. Needless to say I am a fan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Gator: Sorry to hear the news of your 5MT. If you are looking for a spare, I have one (left over from Chad), sitting on my shelf. PM me. I broke mine (still not sure what broke yet) but punched a gear tooth through the case. Going to a 6 speed. I had 320 RWHP, but based on my instruments, didn't get much above 275. I did see some high trans temps though, no cooler, running 7 or 8 lap sets.

Did you have fun while it lasted? I look forward to seeing the video.
    Thanks for the offer on the tranny but I'm going to get a rebuilt one with the stronger LGT/WRX +08 gears and probably a 4.44 FD.
    YES, It was great fun on the track! I love the views. And I've become quite used to jumping in and out thru the top. I've even had some shorter men & women jumping in an out without problem once they get the hang of it. So the halo cage is not as much of an issue as I'd feared for instructing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Gator,
    On my 5mt I block off all the oil passage ways that let oil make it to the center Diff chamber. I figured that would keep more oil on the rotating parts during acceleration.

The 5mt failure I had was a result of the ring gear bolts coming loose. This was a transmission that had never been apart.
    Bob
    That may be my problem too. It "sounds & feels" like the ring and pinion are in violent disagreement.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    Gator, I had heard that running less than 3.5qts could be a problem so I ran 3.5qt+ in my 2004 WRX trans without issue with about the same HP and torque. Glad to hear you got in some good shake down laps and sounds like you are getting close. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the 200TW tires on the 818, I never did try them on the 818 but have driven Corvettes to Miata's with them and I am impressed. We just did a ChampCar race here in a Miata (3rd overall Sunday and won our class both days) and after 15 hours of racing the tires are in good enough shape for a track day or 2. And they never fell off we all ran our quickest laps in Sundays race. Needless to say I am a fan.
    The Gold Standard in endurance 200TW tires seems to be the Hankook Ventus RS4. Cheap, great wear, and excellent lap times. I just wasn't sure if the diameter on the front tire would fit with 235/45/17 at 25.1". I need that size if I run the Konig 17" x 9" wheels. I'm trying to keep things simplified with one diameter and width of wheels all around. Maybe when the R1Rs wear out I'll test fit a single RS4.
    In our new enduro classing by HP/Wt ratio (10 lbs/hp) I'd be in the top ME0 class, but by using 200TW tires I can drop down to ME1 , which makes my main competition the Spec E46 guys. And we have one ME1 Spec E46 car/driver who regularly beats all the ME0 cars.
    But with Retro getting his K-Miata and K-818R almost ready for ME0 I need a different strategy!
    Should be fun!
    818R ICSCC SPM

17. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Blue Sake Bomber took First Place in Class and First Place Overall at the Northwest Motorsports 2019 Spokane Grand Prix Enduro. Special thanks to Subaru of Bend, your support over the years has been great! And thanks to Surgeline, and Arcflash for your help.

And then the next day I blew the turbo and the head gaskets in the ST Qualifying!
    818R ICSCC SPM

19. Likes Zach34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post

For the new Enduro Spec class I will be experimenting with Konig Dekagrams 17" x 9" +40 on all four with Toyo Proxes R1R 235/40/17 Front and 255/40/17 Rear; 200 Treadware tires.
    Gator, I'm running similar tires.
    17" x 9" +45 rims on all four with Toyo Proxes R888 235/40/17 Front and 255/40/17 Rear; 100 Treadware tires.
    I run a 15mm spacer in rear to prevent rubbing on the OEM lower trailing link.
    In front I run a 40mm wider track width to allow full lock to lock steering.
    I am also at a 5" ride height. The picture below is a 1.2G body roll.
    Bob
    roll.jpg
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Gator…...you are one persistent SOB. I would have bailed long ago. I applaud your efforts my friend.
    Last edited by Steve Powell; 07-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The RS4's are what we ran and was impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Powell View Post
    Gator…...you are one persistent SOB. I would have bailed long ago. I applaud you efforts my friend.
    LOL, coming from you that means a lot!
    It seems to me your FF Challenge Racer has had more than it's fair share too.
    From one persistent SOB to another!
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like

The Carnage

Here's pics of the carnage. Broken Ring and Pinion, Carrier bearing on driver side broken. This may be due to an improper Cusco LSD install. The Spool, LSD, and End Plate are going off to ZF Design to convert a WRX case with 08+ WRX/LGT gearing and a 4.44 FD. He will also add a -8AN fitting to the top of the case for the cooler return. I'll put an 8AN in the drain plug for the outlet to the pump and cooler.

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. My failure was a single tooth ejected through the side of the case near the ring and pinion. The car was still "driveable" after that. It will be a while, but I'll post when I get to do the autopsy.

Any idea what was done "improperly" with the LSD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch, it doesn't look like a heat or lack of lubrication issue but the bearing races would be a better indicator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. My failure was a single tooth ejected through the side of the case near the ring and pinion. The car was still "driveable" after that. It will be a while, but I'll post when I get to do the autopsy.

Any idea what was done "improperly" with the LSD?
    Ouch, it doesn't look like a heat or lack of lubrication issue but the bearing races would be a better indicator.
    I asked Zach if this was an bad rebuild whe the LSD was installed or a typical 5 speed fail. His reply: "We've seen it both ways who's seen the front ring opinion blow up from launching similar to that but we've also seen botched rebuilds where the diff is basically walking back and forth and takes out the side of the transmission and the teeth".

I have never launched it hard since in my possession. Brando probably launched it hard at AutoX events a few times but he never took it to the drag strip. So my guess is the LSD install.
    That's why I would never attampt this myself and I'm paying ZF to do it. He rebuilt my STI 6 speed and so far it's doing fine. And he's done several 818 conversions. BTW, his FB page is here: https://www.facebook.com/thezfdesign/
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for the record, I never launched hard, either, and was in the middle of the track, doing nothing radical, when mine blew up. I have a LSD in mine as well. Torsen type.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of more pics. It worries me when I see a lot of RTV.:

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like

One Lap at ORP

One lap at ORP while it was running good. Sorry no sound, I forgot to plug in the mic!
    818R ICSCC SPM

31. Thanks biknman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting. Looks like a fun, fast track.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 Looks like a great track.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting. Looks like a fun, fast track.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    +1 Looks like a great track.
    You know when sections are called "The Half Pipe" and 'The Big Dipper" it's got some elevation changes. Over four hundred feet of elevation change per lap in 2.3 miles.
    818R ICSCC SPM

35. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the FMIC is working fine for my R I'm selling the VCP AWIC setup that was originally installed. I think it's one of Wayne's very first kits. Before I put it in the Parts For Sale forum or on my eBay storefront I'm giving readers of my build thread first dibs.
    $550 includes shipping. I think all the parts are here and then some more, but it's possible something is missing. Buyer Beware it might not be 100% complete!
    You can email me at colredracing at gmail.com. You can pay with a credit card via PayPal, I'll send you a PayPal invoice and when it's paid I ship.

AWIC4.jpg..AWIC3.jpg..AWIC2.jpg..AWIC1.jpg
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like

Time for an update!

While we wait of our race tracks to re-open I figured now is a good time for the over winter update.

1) Arcflash here in Bend swapped out original turbo Brando installed for a a slightly used OEM Subaru STI turbo. The reason was to detune the engine to meet the class rules for our ICSCC Enduro Race series. I'm detuned to close to 10lbs/HP level now, 213HP/211 TQ. My car weighs 2040 (no driver), so with me in it at 2250 lbs and 225 HP is right on the rule. However I'm going to be sharing enduro seat time with a young female driver who weighs probably 110 lbs, so 2150 lbs 215 HP is the max. We'll do a final tune on the track to get the best real race tune.

As many here have noted the oem turbos with internal wastegate don't clear the crossover bar in the engine compartment so we modified the bar, now there's lots of clearance:

We also re-worked the dry sump vent system slightly. Both heads vent to a Tee that comes up from the main rear crankcase vent then thru a new one way valve to the DS tank. The idea is to run a sealed system as long as the dry sump pump can maintain vacuum, but if it can't keep up and cranckcase blowby starts to go positive the one way valve opens and vents to the DS tank.

Can't wait to get on track again!
    818R ICSCC SPM

38. Likes Bob_n_Cincy, DSR-3, Kurk818, AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update II

As mentioned above the tranny is rebuilt by ZF Design, now with a cooler system. The trans oil comes out the bottom, thru a pump, into an Earl's cooler mounted in the rear vent, then back into the top rear of the tranny:

Transponder mounted up front in the nose:

And the best house mod, a new driveway that took the HUMP out of the street to driveway apron! It was so tall the 818 would high center on it, and the Palatov was impossible. Now it's a nice low entry:

And as long as I'm under house arrest for Corona Virus I guess I could have worse jailers than the Three Sisters and Broken Top:

818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    And as long as I'm under house arrest for Corona Virus I guess I could have worse jailers than the Three Sisters and Broken Top:
    Oh man, that is a great view!
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Oh man, that is a great view!
    Thanks, yes we love the never ending scenery change from our deck. We can see from Mt Bachelor in the south (where we ski) to Mt Hood in the north on any clear day, and many days Mt Adams up in Washington, and on a really clear day we can see Mt Rainier, 194 miles away as the crow flys.

Two of my favorite pics of the Sisters and Broken Top from the Mt Bachelor ski area. The top one I took while skiing, the lower image is from one of the ski area's cams that morning. Unfortunately our season was closed early for the Corona Virus:

818R ICSCC SPM

42. Likes Mitch Wright, AZPete, Santiago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One Lap at ORP in the 818 Detuned to 210 HP.

Oregon Raceway Park, Mt Adams in the background.

For this season we have changed the setup in the 818R to compete in the NWMECS mini enduro series as a P1 class car. That meant the 818 needs to be at 225HP, 2250lbs (with driver, 10lbs/hp) which puts us in P0, but by running 200 treadware tires we can compete in P1/ME1 where the main competition is BMW SpecE46 cars. That meant swapping out the turbo and a retune. In this video the tune is actually detuned down to 210 HP because we thought a small female driver was going to be co-driving the car this year but she has dropped out because of the Covid economic situation.
    Lots more Test & Tuning to go but the car is a blast to drive!

Build Notes:
    First session was with no hood, trunk, or wing to make it easy to find leaks. No leaks! This is a bigger deal than you might think given the history. The car felt nice and balanced and was easy to drive.

I went in, put on the body panels and rear wing, back out for another test. Instantly obvious understeer at medium and high speed. The fix was to disconnect the front sway bar. The car handled fine then.

The biggest problem: The trans got too hot. In only 5 laps it gets hot, in 10 laps it's at 250 degrees. And the temp is related to the amount of WOT, by running at a lap at half throttle I could drop the temps 5-10 degrees. I think the problem is 1) The cooler is too close to the exhaust and 2) The cooler has no fresh air ducted to it, and no fan on it. So we are going to DEI wrap the exhaust from the turbo to the exhaust tip and either relocate the cooler or add ducting to get it cool air.

So for 2 days my testing was limited to 5 laps at a time in the 818. It wasn't so bad because I just kept switching from the 818 to the STI.

I put a piece of cardboard over the Defi gauges to create a hood. Even with the hood the gauges are barely readable on a sunny day with sunglasses and a helmet face shield. They are coming out and will be replaced with old school gauges. If anyone wants them for the inside of their C model let me know, I'll make you a deal.

I'm really looking forward to racing the 818 this season. It should be very cost effective on consumables, especially at 225 HP. And with 225 HP it's blast drive. Unless you are in a class where you need 400 HP I think 225 HP in a 2250 LB vehicle is plenty for a track toy. IMHO!

You Tube Video
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, glad to see you have gotten the car out and some laps on it.

I read in one of the trades I get that ORP is for sale, hope it ends up in good hands that track looks really fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, glad to see you have gotten the car out and some laps on it.

I read in one of the trades I get that ORP is for sale, hope it ends up in good hands that track looks really fun.
    It is. Would you like to join with 100 other guys and be an owner in your own private track?
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL as much as I like Central Oregon and the Bend area particularly I will have to pass. I have managed 4 tracks and told my wife the current track would be the last. If a group of buyers would like some input and advice I am available. Brett has invited me out there a number of times now I think I need to make the time and take him up on it.

47. Likes Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL as much as I like Central Oregon and the Bend area particularly I will have to pass. I have managed 4 tracks and told my wife the current track would be the last. If a group of buyers would like some input and advice I am available. Brett has invited me out there a number of times now I think I need to make the time and take him up on it.
    I'll keep you in mind for your advice if something comes together. And of course we'd love have you come out for some of our ORP Club days. The Governor has allowed us to have 25 people at a time now so the track is open for club members again.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    That is great news. We are opening up for Driving Club members tomorrow (small groups) and our first track day will be the June 6th and 7th with Chin Motorsports. We have been able to get a lot of things done that we didn't get too over the winter but more than ready to have people back enjoying the track.

50. Likes Bob_n_Cincy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ongoing testing at ORP trying to resolve the Trans Temp issue. More details on that later.
    ORP was having an Instructor and Corner Worker Certification day on May 30 when in the afternoon a freak downburst type storm rolled in and in a couple of minutes the wind went from the usual 15-20 mph to 80 mph. A car in front of me is blown off the track (you'll see him in the weeds at turn 14), as I come down Valkyrie hill the dust storm and tumbleweeds attack, at Turn 2 the corner worker is waving a Red flag, then switches to a Black Flag.

Porta Potties blown over, Race Ramps sailing across the parking lot...then the rain starts.

818R ICSCC SPM

52. Likes redbudrr liked this post
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast