Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 289 gauge wiring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    Here is the rear of my water temp gauge. The rest are basically the same. So i would think that i would want to daisy chain the red gauge power, the grounds, and the white dash lighting? Then the yellow/red stripe and yellow/black stripe are the senders back out to the sensors on the engine.
    You're getting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    One last question....for now. I have an older 289 kit. My speedometer doesnt say GPS on the face and doesnt have the built in turn signals/high beam indicator. Is this a GPS speedometer?
    Early GPS units didn't have the indicator lights (I know, I have one...) but it should be pretty easy to tell. (1) Is there a GPS antenna in the box and a gold connector on the back of the gauge for the coax cable? If so, GPS. (2) Are there two separate multi-colored wires like the ones you had out of the water temp gauge, in addition to the power and lighting wires? If so, not GPS and those wires are for the speed sensor in the transmission.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post

Early GPS units didn't have the indicator lights (I know, I have one...) but it should be pretty easy to tell. (1) Is there a GPS antenna in the box and a gold connector on the back of the gauge for the coax cable? If so, GPS. (2) Are there two separate multi-colored wires like the ones you had out of the water temp gauge, in addition to the power and lighting wires? If so, not GPS and those wires are for the speed sensor in the transmission.
    It appears i have a non-GPS speedometer. Bummer. I like the built in high beams and indicator lights on the new ones. I'll have to decide if i want to purchase separately from Speedhut @ $179
    2nd 289 Build In progress. 302, midshift T5, IRS, 15" Halibrands