FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OT: Man are modern PC's FAST or what?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OT: Man are modern PC's FAST or what?!?

A little background...

I've been involved in IT since 1992. When I first started in IT I worked for a business that had a dual core mainframe that took up 400 sq ft and demanded a 10-ton AC unit and raised floors. It had tape drives and two 5 MASSIVE 15 MB disk drives. I was "cutting edge" and pushed for a new client-server network to replace the mainframe. It took me 2 years to get the OK to install the first Novell 3.11 network. The boss told me if it doesn't work your fired!

Email was new tech and only the biggest companies had them. I proposed and built a Client/server network that included 265GB of network storage that cost me $22,000 in parts just to
    build! We completed the migration off the mainframe and the new tech along with a new MIS syste I designed helped thrust the company from 5MM to 26 MM in 6 years.

Fast forward to today. My Development laptop took a dump and I bought a new laptop.

This thing has a 512GB SSD drive, which if you're not in the know offers speed 10x an standard disk drive. AND 2X the storage I paid $22K for in 1996. The processor is a 8th gen I7 quad-core. In other words, I paid $1500 for a PC that I couldn't even get close to for $30K in my early career! Amazing.

Now I'm doing advanced analytics and machine learning. Insane.

Are you as amazed by the continued tech progress as I am?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

My first exposure to "high-end" computing devices was in 1983 when I joined the Army. The computer I was using then was programmed using rolls of perforated cardboard tape. I bought my first personal computer in 1984. It used a standard cassette recorder/player to load software into its massive 16 kilobytes of RAM. The PC I'm typing this on now is a dual quad core I7 with 16GB of RAM and a 2TB hard drive that cost less than $1,000 with the 27" LED monitor. Although Moore's law hasn't really kept up the past few years, I'm not complaining about the affordable technology we have at our fingertips today.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 10-20-2017 at 01:06 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post

Are you as amazed by the continued tech progress as I am?

Yes.
    In 1972, I was punching cards to run a program.
    In 1976, we were discussing bioengineering human beings in grad school(seemed far-fetched then).
    In 1980's, brokers talked about "watching the tape".
    In 1990, I sold PC's to help analyze drugs, medicine, etc.
    In 2000, I relented and agreed to a cell phone.
    In 2000, I blew up a portfolio in the tech collapse.
    Today, evolution of tech and biotech have continued such that it is difficult to stay abreast with anything more than the concepts.
    Last night, I had to have my son help me transfer coupe pics onto a USB drive in a new laptop!
    -Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

My timeline looks a little like Bob-STL's . . . early 70's, punching and sorting punch cards for Chevron's main frame, running on tape reels for storage. Can you say; Univac ??
    80's and 90's worked on energy management systems for large hospitals and business offices . . . no tape, but dedicated rooms filled with refrigerator sized hard drives and a bazillion miles of wire under the floor.
    2000 - 2010 worked on computer graphics with [at the time] very limited colors and dimensions. No where near what todays 3D graphics can render.
    I now carry around more storage and processing power on my hip (a cell phone) then I could possibly imagine back in the early days of computers.
    Gotta love technology . . . FWIW, modern cars have more lines of code then a 747, go figure.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, it's amazing right. I got a love-hate relationship with "tech", I remember in high school researching for a paper, going to the card catalog looking for a book going to the racks pull the book, find something in the book that takes you back to the card catalog ect ect ect. I remember thinking wouldn't it be great to have something that would take you from some reference of one book to another book without the hassle of going to the card catalog over and over. Fast forward 40+years
    and here we are in the internet. Love it. Now I have tantrum when my iPad gives me problems. Hate it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a friend in the army (1968) he worked on the Saturn Project at Cape Canaveral. One of his jobs was to monitor the computer. Two buildings of computer. He walked up and down the halls replacing bad cards. We now have more power in our desktop computer than was in those two buildings. More power in the desktop than we had when we sent a man to the moon. Almost unbelievable.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first computer when I got on the CHP.....My first computer.jpg

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    In 1974 my High School English teacher laughed her back end off when I told her one day I would have my own computer and it not only would print my papers, but would also check my spelling. In 1979 the head of the Science Department of my college told me that PCs were a fad and would never be used by companies. In 1982 when I recommended to an Engineering manager, that our engineering group should purchase a new IBM PC with Display Write, he laughed and told me that you can not BS a BS artist.

If you want to see how far we have come, check out IOT [http://internetofthingsagenda.techta...of-Things-IoT]

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not only amazing to you tech guys. . .
    To produce a magazine ad in the late 1970s/early 1980s, I had to send the wording out to get typeset, then key-lined. Photos had to be developed, then sent out for 4-color separation ($1,000 each). Artwork was then pasted up with the key-lined type on a camera-ready board. All this was sent to the printer by courier or overnight FedEx. It took about 3 weeks and $3,000 or more.

Now, I can easily do all of this on a lap top from anywhere and send it anywhere. It takes me an hour or so, at zero cost.

But, my neighbor insists that everything was better back then.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, you guys are making me feel GREAT! My school was a big deal because they put an Apple 2 (that's right, 1) in every classroom. 3.5 inch floppies were already common. A decent computer would let you type up a crappy document to print out on a dot matrix printer, compose a rudimentary spreadsheet, and play video games on part with early Atari. People around me used to argue that you couldn't do enough with them to make them worth as much as a cars. Now I think about all the stuff I can do with my phone...every one of those things - way better, and 10,000 times more. When I was 10 (late 80s), I was upset that I missed out on the 50s; drive ins all over the place, parents not worried about you disappearing all day, muscle cars. These days, though, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advance's made in deciphering Alien technology, just the last few years, and putting it to good use..

Post Thanks / Like
    My first planter “monitor” in the early 80’s was a metal box with a light for each row that blinked when a seed passed by it. If it stopped blinking, you got off the open tractor and checked the row. It was a big improvement over just hoping it was planting. Now I create variable rate planting maps in my office that stream to my planter. It varies the population by the row as the soil changes and creates an as planted map on my iPad in the cab as I go which streams back to my office computer also. And now if my AC quits working in the tractor I have to quit for the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow an apple in each class room, we couldnt have apples we had 4 commodore ??? With the monotone green monitor for the whole school. Although there were only 10 or 20 computer students at the time!

The "computerized" planting is cool!!!

The thing about the new phones are - can we have one that can make a call and you can actually hear the person with out it dropping the call? I may have to give a little on this because i have just about destroyed my hearing!
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I am the dinosaur here. My first programming job was in 1973 in Chicago, IBM 360-30 32K of memory, thets "K". Moved into networks later and finally rn a classified data net in Baghdad. A good long run, retired now.

By the way, I have a few new mainframe tapes if anyone is interested, new never used.

I am playing with the Arduino microprocessor these days.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. IBM 360-40 in 1970. I was the JCL expert. What I find amazing is that we have no nostalgia for those machines whatsoever and we are extremely pleased with our new lap tops. Yet we build 1965 automobiles.