Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help needed with Megasquirt MS3 Pro Evo for EZ30 engine

Post Thanks / Like

Help needed with Megasquirt MS3 Pro Evo for EZ30 engine

I live in East Hartford, Connecticut and need an installer for my Megasquirt computer on my EZ30 engines and chassis wiring for off-road use. I have attempted to read the 308 page manual but I don't even understand the terms let alone where to attach the wires.

I can trailer the car anywhere (wait a minute! I had to sell my trailer to buy the computer! :-( ), but money is an issue. I can't pay for the help until I sell something or the car is sold. I know what the comments will be but I Have to ask.

Thanks,

Jack

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't find anyone local, there is a shop in Atlanta called Zen Motorsports who is really good with Megasquirt from what I have heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post
    I live in East Hartford, Connecticut and need an installer for my Megasquirt computer on my EZ30 engines and chassis wiring for off-road use. I have attempted to read the 308 page manual but I don't even understand the terms let alone where to attach the wires.
    I can trailer the car anywhere (wait a minute! I had to sell my trailer to buy the computer! :-( ), but money is an issue. I can't pay for the help until I sell something or the car is sold. I know what the comments will be but I Have to ask.
    Thanks,
    Jack
    JB
    I have a question about your mechanical configuration.
    Is your connection of the 2 engines in phase so cylinder one on both engine fires at the same time?
    Or do you have a 60 degree offset in the coupler?

Is this a cable throttle body or DBW system?
    Just curious, I don't have the time or expertise to help with a system like this.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been to the MegaSquirt forums for help? You may be able to find a tuner closer to your location.

I have wired in an MS3-Pro ECU to my EZ36R engine, its not too difficult.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a haltech elite, but I can share my wiring pin out if you can cross reference it to the mega squirt. It's for an ez30r. It's been running for a year now so the pin out has been verified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bob,

I have the front engine at TDC on cylinder one and the rear on cylinder 6, the next cylinder in the firing order. I set it up this way for a few reasons.

1. For balance with one cylinder firing on each side at the same time.
    2. So there would be no strain on the coupler I designed.
    3. I originally thought I could use the OEM ECU but have found that is almost impossible to do unless you use the entire car harness.
    4. At the time, I figured it would be easier to find a 6 cylinder aftermarket ECU than a 12 cylinder one.

I have installed mechanical throttle bodies as I've been told, the computer won't work with electric ones.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Hobby,

There are a few things handicapping me. I do Not understand the lingo, I don't want to learn it for this, probably my last car, and because over the last 10m years, I have Burned Out twice. I have moved towards doing it myself a dozen times but anxiety rears it's ugly head and I have to stop.

I designed and built this car, a modern Formula One car for the street and an aluminum tube chassis and fiberglass body for a Lemans 917. All, from NO Prior Mechanical Experience. I just got up at 4:30am one day in 2008 and said, "I'm going to build a car." At my age, 58, I figured this would be a one time deal so I had to start at the top. The recession hit right after I started which helped to end my construction career and with my money tied up in the cars and a tenant not paying the rent, I had to sell my three family house.

All that, and I am running on fumes at this point. That's a long story to say why I can't do the wiring myself with No electrical background. It has boggled my mind how hard it is to get someone to do this! I am communicating with the Tech department at Megasquirt but every time someone starts with the lingo, my mind goes blank. People in the know, don't realize that they have to alter their language for the people who Don't know. I'm trying to get Megasquirt to realize that and alter their directions. They are starting to work on that now.

I am just beginning to get into Megasquirt forums so maybe that will work.

Thanks,

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    EVO-Wiring-Pinout.png This is the pin card from the EVO. Look at the language and then imagine having NO electrical experience and you have to install the Do It Yourself system. The only way I could do this myself is with someone standing next to me a talking ga-ga goo-goo to me. Plain English, not electrical gibberish.

I developed my own ski teaching method in the late 70's because the American technique was so confusing even the instructors didn't understand what they were saying and it had Nothing to do with the way I skied. Mine is so simple, I could teach someone in their living room because it is based on analogies. Things the people already understand. Instructions or directions are Not often written in a language the lay person can understand and I, can't wrap my mind around this! I need to find someone. I'm now thinking of a club of teenage Risers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hindsight,

I bought an old trailer, restored and registered it, only to have to sell it to buy the computer. I have only things to Barter for services at this point but only cash will talk. Plus, getting into someone's schedule at this point isn't going to happen till the spring.

Last October I made arrangements to have it done in May, back when I Had some money, but that never happened so now I'm Stuck! But thanks for the help.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the link to the video I put on YouTube yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adocRB6Ntbs&t=4s

Post Thanks / Like
    What lingo for wiring are you struggling with? They use industry standard terms like tps for throtle position sensor, varible reluctance sensors vs hall effect they also include diagrams, ociliscope renderings and clear wiring diagrams in the manual. What is your specific question that you are struggling with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the Megasquirt glossary of terms, scroll down to section #8. It explains all abbreviations and terms used.

While Megasquirt does require quite a bit of reading to get your head around it, it is the best documented ECU system out there. Without $$$ to pay someone to do the work its the best DIY option.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 10-21-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine227 View Post
    What lingo for wiring are you struggling with? They use industry standard terms like tps for throtle position sensor, varible reluctance sensors vs hall effect they also include diagrams, ociliscope renderings and clear wiring diagrams in the manual. What is your specific question that you are struggling with.
    The problem? All Of The Above. When someone says reluctor ( Spell check doesn't even have a word for that!!!), or hall effect, I run for an anxiety pill! Someone who does not know the lingo has no idea what those words mean and at this point, I cannot and Will not learn them. As I said in another post, people who Know electrical work, don't understand that directions for a DIY kit have to be written in English, Not Electrish! :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Here is a link to the Megasquirt glossary of terms, scroll down to section #8. It explains all abbreviations and terms used.

While Megasquirt does require quite a bit of reading to get your head around it, it is the best documented ECU system out there. Without $$$ to pay someone to do the work its the best DIY option.
    THE DEFINITIONS NEED DEFINITIONS FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT AUTOMOTIVE WIRING!!! I might as well park it in the yard, fill it with dirt and plant flowers.

I just met a young man whom is Very enthusiastic about doing it for free and he knows his stuff. He said it would take the entire winter doing it a couple of hours at a time. After what I have been through with the previous 8 EIGHT electricians who said basically the same thing, I HAD to tell him No Thanks. I couldn't take the stress.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's gotta be some clubs, associations or some gearhead groups in your area, whether Subaru, racing or hotrod that can help you figure it out. Otherwise you might consider finding a good custom shop to do the wiring for you.

I feel your pain, this electrical sorcery is the hardest part of this hobby. Reading some of the posts regarding wiring just leaves me scratching my head. If it wasn't for vendors like IWire I wouldn't even consider starting my build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well good luck to you still wondering what your struggling with as you have not asked what does this mean or what type of sensors do I have. With a degree in political science I have installed megasquirt on around 10 vehicles just took a little bit of research and asking questions. My EZ30 harness took around 3hrs to build certainly not weeks. Seems like you turn down anyhelp unless they solve all your problems for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you been to the MegaSquirt forums for help? You may be able to find a tuner closer to your location.

I have wired in an MS3-Pro ECU to my EZ36R engine, its not too difficult.
    BINGO!!! Thanks Hobby! I found a young man two towns over on the Megasquirt Forum who has already stared the wiring. He is even coming today after the football games. He thinks the engine will be running before Thanksgiving (Now it's Nov 4-5), and the chassis and computer harnesses will be done by Christmas. 7 years behind schedule but at least we are on the way.

He is an engineer working on making the rotary engine durable and efficient. He has worked with Megasquirt computers and it's his passion to open a tuning shop. I hope my car will give him some publicity.
    Last edited by JB91710; 10-30-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Update

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you8 have the EZ36R in?

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ A Factory Five 818R

Post Thanks / Like
    If I sell my car and feel like building another, after a Long Vacation, I'm thinking of a 818 with that engine, or TWO! It Does have the same wheel base of a Porsche 917/30!

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you put a list of your stuff at the bottom of the comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear them finally running. I am also running an MS3-Pro on my EZ36 (the later version of your motors). I have a quick question in your setup. Are you running it in semi-sequential mode using wasted COP? The reason I ask is just got the firmware developers to fix a bug in the MS3 firmware that was preventing these motors from running fully sequential and COP mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    yea baby! congrats on the major milestone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear them finally running. I am also running an MS3-Pro on my EZ36 (the later version of your motors). I have a quick question in your setup. Are you running it in semi-sequential mode using wasted COP? The reason I ask is just got the firmware developers to fix a bug in the MS3 firmware that was preventing these motors from running fully sequential and COP mode.
    I'm going to have to refer your question to the tuner that did the work as I don't have a clue what you asked!

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of that champaigne... congrats indeed - I know you had a long haul just finding someone who could do that computer. I turned my computer speakers full up and probably still came some X db short of the racket. But 12 cylinders banging is always sweet at any volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's Just the first start. The computer isn't even Tuned yet. Because of other work I have to do, it won't be perfected for awhile

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'm wrong but the drive that is needed for removing the flywheel bolts on an EZ30 is the TORX T50. I believe I paid something like $23 dollars for it through some kind of Subaru related source. You can buy them on Amazon for $6.61.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's wasted spark COP. Batch fire injected. Whatever that means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB91710 View Post
    It's wasted spark COP. Batch fire injected. Whatever that means.
    Yup, I thought so. If you want to switch to fully sequential injection using COP ignition, you'll have to wait for the next release of the MS3 firmware. I just got the pre beta version a few days ago that fixes the bug that prevents these engines from running in fully sequential, COP mode.

It took me months to get the developers to fix it, and in the end I had to write the software fix myself and give it to them!

Post Thanks / Like
    My tuner had software problems too which was confusing. It seemed like the product was incomplete. Megasquirt is putting the startup videos on their website.