Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Visor Screws FYI

Post Thanks / Like

Visor Screws FYI

Hi folks, just sending out an FYI. I installed my wind wings and sun visors today on my MK4. The assembly of each went together very nice but when I attempted to fasten the visor brackets to the windshield frame I ran into an issue. Factory Five supplied me with 8 very small 6-32 screws. The threaded holes in the windshield frame are 3m metric holes. I damn near ruined my windshield frame by cross threading the screws provided. This may have been a one time oversight by FFR but I just wanted to share so nobody destroys their very expensive windshield frame. BTW I am in no way criticizing FFR. I have been incredibly impressed with my kit throughout the entire build. Accidents happen and it's certainly understandable that somebody accidentally grabbed the wrong screws for my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other note on the visor screws: in our kit the screws were 1 1/2 turns too long. Others may want to check them before installing the visors. I installed the visor mounts on the windshield frame, when the sun expanded the windshield it cracked leaving a nice straight line crack about 2 inches long on the inner glass. Safelite couldn't fix so I ended up buying a new windshield. We were able the see the issue with the screws once we had the old glass out. I intend to grind the screws down enough so they don't extend beyond the window frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a thread a couple of years ago concerning the visor mounting that detailed installing the visor using square nuts in the channel at the top of the windshield because of the length of the screws and breaking the glass

I can’t remember the size but I was able to find them at a local hardware store

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    There was a thread a couple of years ago concerning the visor mounting that detailed installing the visor using square nuts in the channel at the top of the windshield because of the length of the screws and breaking the glass

Rick
    Thanks Rick. I'll look for the thread. Our cars must have been on the same truck; I'm #8469 delivered Nov 2014 too. Just finished this May.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As noted in 2 of my MK4 build threads I highly suggest you take the windshield out of the frame when installing the sun visor clips. Most the time (99%) you will have to trim them down on the inside of the frame so you do not break the glass. A little extra work up front saves a headache and money down the road, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post

Rick

Here is the thread where I explain my alternate visor mounting method as well as the real reason the 6-32 screws don't seem to fit:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...927#post235927

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff! This is very clear and helps immensely. Great solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you enjoy driving yours as much as I do mine

I have about 4500 miles driving mostly two lane roads in southern West Virginia and it’s a blast

Rick