Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  155
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoeless GTM #501 Here we go!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC View Post
    I dont' think the heater core hook-ups are AN.....It's been a while since I installed a set of those tubes, but I was thinking they are O-ring sealed, much like the evaporator core?
    We don't have a heater or AC in the race car so I have never seen the Vintage Air GTM heater core. Are you saying that the inlet/outlet to the core is not a tapered sealing surface type of fitting? Almost all those tube fittings I have seen of that style are flare fittings. IIRC some use a JIC flare angle and some use the AN angle, but both will work with each other in low pressure applications.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea these are an o-ring sealing type, exactly like the pic Shane just shared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting that they would use that type of fitting on this application. In any case, that same website does have the adaptors for this type of seal under the power steering fittings section...

https://www.anplumbing.com/hose-ends...-steering.html

All in these adaptors add about another $100 to solve the issue...that should have never been an issue in the first place!

EDIT:I was looking this over last night and I still do not see the proper adaptor for the Vintage Air fittings there at the AN website. Ridiculous fitting choice by Vintage Air, but it looks like you are stuck with using what you have. If you are having issues bending the aluminum tubes you can heat them with a plumbers propane torch and that should make it easier. Just be careful not to over heat them or concentrate forces as that will cause kinking.
    Last edited by crash; 08-29-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I too went back and forth about the CD5 vs CD7. ultimately, I went with the CD5 and 2 analog gauges, with some custom bezels/mounting. Will be adding th GPS, 2 or 22 channel can adapter, and the VDM box. I am going for an as OEM look as possible. Still gotta paint the bezels but this is where I am at with it.

Last edited by MTSCustoms; 09-01-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the look MTSCustomes!!!

So I was hoping to be in the garage this weekend, but nature got in my way. So the GTM is all tucked away with crap all around it in the garage. So far it looks like this hurricane will miss my house, but it all depends on where it turns. Should know in about 24 hours. Its very sad seeing the places I fish in the Bahamas completely leveled . Its going to take them years to recover from this.

I was determined to get something done on the GTM so its back to laying out the wiring harness for the engine. It took a bit to pick up where I left off, but I'm doing pretty good with it. One main issue I'm having is finding pin out specs for the several AC Delco sensors I have on my engine. I didn't think this would be a difficult thing, but once I started searching, I can't find anything. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. I ended up emailing AC Delco to ask if they can help me with specs and calibration diagrams for their sensors. Obviously will need the pinout to hook up properly and calibration curves to make sure the AEM Series 7 is reading and interpreting the data correctly.

Once I get this diagram completed, verified, and some more hardware in the GTM, I'll revive my other post on creating a motorsports grade wiring harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the boat? How do you protect that?
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Reid View Post
    What about the boat? How do you protect that?
    I prep the boat by removing the 4 ft radar antenna with 4 bolts and then covering the base with a couple trash bags and duct tape it in place. Then I unplug the onboard charger and close all the doors underneath the cover. And finally I tie the cover down as physically tight as I can with 550 cord. Basically tie the loops on one side of the cover, go underneath the boat, and connect to the loops on the other side. That way the cover is cinched down tightly against the hull to prevent any wind from getting underneath it. That way if anything falls on the boat, hopefully the cover cushions the fall and deflects it. It's much easier and cheaper to replace a canvas cover than fiberglass repair. Then hope and pray for the best.

We dodged the brunt of this one at my house, but we are definitely in the peak of hurricane season. Hopefully no more storms will head my way. Its a royal PITA bringing everything inside and putting shutters up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wishing you all the best and hope you miss most of it !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Good luck and stay dry.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys!! We missed most of the storm this time, but just can’t get over the devastation in the Bahamas. We have so many Bahamians we see year in and year out on our trips and I hope them the best. There are several organizations putting together private support to include a Blackhawk running full loads of supplies to West End, Grand Cay, and the Abacos. The devastation is endless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been way too long since I have been in the garage, I've been focusing on the wiring diagram for the engine. Since I have that knocked out, I'll need to start sourcing all the tools, mil spec connectors, and power supply items to eventually start building it. If I pick up a few tools and connectors here and there the sticker shock shouldn't hit to too hard buying it all at once..

I needed to modify my ECU/Power Cell/Fuel Filter bracket I originally had Shane build for me. Going from the mistake on thinking the AEM Infinity Series 5 ECU would do what I want, I need to modify it for the Series 7 ECU that will really do what I want. Started out modifying my CAD file and then plotting out at work 1:1 scale and cutting out of poster board. I need to make a couple more mods to make room for the wires to clear the frame and fuel tank coming out of the connector, but I'm getting close. I should be able to have Shane just cut out the bottom and side section that I'm changing and get it all welded up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also took some time to play around with a design for a carbon fiber steering wheel button plate. Now time to narrow down the 4 buttons for the top pieces. There are tons of options out there, so I may just pick up a few designs to play with and see what I like best.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sourced some momentary green LED pushbuttons for the steering wheel plate and adjusted the spacing a bit. V2 looks much better and I must say thank you to Derek Kochan from the Factory Five Builder Facebook page who hooked me up with a piece of carbon fiber. Time to reach out to my CNC router guy who did some CF work for my boat and get a test piece made out of wood to check all final fitment.

Once I get the panel made up, I'll source some wiring, shrink moldable boots, potting compound, and mil-spec connector to plug everything in. Only downside is once I install a connector on the clock spring, I won't be able to remove the Momo steering wheel adapter. So I may wait a while before hooking this all up.

Post Thanks / Like
    what is that to the right of the picture? USB toaster!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KGTM View Post
    what is that to the right of the picture? USB toaster!
    HAHA that's a charging station. Between work cells, ipads, and personal phones, we have too many things to plug in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great, Sean. I wish they still made RaceLogic TC!
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Looking great, Sean. I wish they still made RaceLogic TC!
    Thanks Dave!! Traction control was in the top two to three reasons why I went with the AEM Infinity ECU. There are other aftermarket ECUs that offer it, I just spent most of my time researching and learning the AEM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good Sean kind of wish I had done something like this after seeing a few done and in progress but gone far enough going to stick with what I have working for the interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

Been enjoying my vacation for the rest of the year as I have been in the garage for at least a little bit every day for the last week. I've done a little heat management on the AC Blower Relocation Kit from Shane that fits perfectly. I was able to get the front piece covered in one single sheet of heat reflective film, no easy task, just took it slow and methodically.

I'm moving on to the Heater Bypass valve next. I've done some searching, found a couple pics of the locations that people have done in the past, but wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm going to have any issues mounting the valve on the passenger side tunnel frame rail and just letting the value itself sit on top of the cooling lines. What do you think? Any issues I'm not seeing 20 steps ahead of where I'm at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hey guys,

I've done some searching, found a couple pics of the locations that people have done in the past, but wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm going to have any issues mounting the valve on the passenger side tunnel frame rail and just letting the value itself sit on top of the cooling lines. What do you think? Any issues I'm not seeing 20 steps ahead of where I'm am

]
    That’s generally where I have my bypass. Just remember that you will have some other wiring for the engine and other things in there too. I put my bypass up a bit higher so it was above the wiring and easily visible and easily changed. It’s going to to be closed in and only visible from the top.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kabacj View Post
    That’s generally where I have my bypass. Just remember that you will have some other wiring for the engine and other things in there too. I put my bypass up a bit higher so it was above the wiring and easily visible and easily changed. It’s going to to be closed in and only visible from the top.
    Thanks for the quick reply kabacj!!! I figured this was the best spot Incase I ever needed to service it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that bypass. Just seems like a ton of unnecessary "stuff" going on, and out of 2 that I've installed, one of them leaked.....yeah....after spending hours getting all of the air out of the cooling system, nothing like draining it all out, trying to get all 4 hoses off of the hose barbs on the valve, getting a replacement valve and doing everything all over again. Also, you end up with heater hoses looped all over the place. On the car I'm currently building, I ended up installing a $5 manual inline shutoff valve in the hose going into the heater core (installed right in the hose next to the batter so you can easily get to it) and then simply T'd in a short length of 3/8" hose between the 5/8 and 3/4" heater hoses out of the WP. That way, whether the manual shut off is open or closed, there is always coolant circulating between the inlet and outlet heater hose connections at the WP to avoid the overheating problem. Not saying that this is the perfect or ultimate solution.....I just prefer simple over complicated.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    I like simple and if these have issues, I might have to switch this up. Especially me being in S FL, we hardly ever need heat.

Do you have any pics you can throw up Shane? I think I have the idea from your post, but would love to see it.
    Last edited by Shoeless; 12-20-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple pics. This is with the reservoir tank mounted above the LH fuel tank....

Screenshot_20191220-162815_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191220-162722_Gallery.jpg
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

26. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple pics. This is with the reservoir tank mounted above the LH fuel tank....

Screenshot_20191220-162815_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191220-162722_Gallery.jpg
    Very nice, thanks for posting Shane!!! This makes perfect sense now. Thinking this over again and knowing this car will live its life in S FL, I think i'm going to go this path.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been bouncing around on a number of small projects. This morning was focused on the steering wheel button plate. Ran a couple test pieces and then finally the CF plate. Ended up snapping one bit while cutting it, but turned out perfect. My guy will clean this up for me and give it a final gloss clear coat to seal it up and make it look nice.

While we were working on this, my guy informed me that he actually does classes on CF skinning, epoxy projects, and some general artsy kind of stuff. He really is a jack of all trades and does some amazing work creating wood slab tables and projects with epoxy in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Sean! Love the CF!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    That's going to look really nice!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you gentlemen!!! I'm all about tastefully incorporating CF accents throughout the engine bay, interior, and exterior on this project. This one was a no brainer and needed to be custom made to my design

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good and very nice work building the whole works, going to look really great when done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took James' idea and Shane's test of the manual heater shutoff valve and implemented it on my build. I picked up 135 deg bent tubes from Vintage Air to come out of the heater core and keep the lines tucked up real nicely out of the way, put in the manual shut off, then secured all the hoses low and out of the way in the back. Thankfully I didn't cut the hoses too short before I secured them all, ended up with a perfect fit.

I'll be dropping off my clutch stop, ECU bracket, and rear wing mount at my welder tomorrow morning and he should have them finished up over the weekend. Then waiting on a few deliveries before I modify another Wilwood M/C for my Mendy setup, then off to the powder coater with a full load of parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out really nice!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thanks for posting pics of the bypass! Where did you buy the T's?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my T's from Napa.....one is 5/8" and the other is 3/4"...both with a 3/8" T.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out really nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Yeah thanks for posting pics of the bypass! Where did you buy the T's?
    I got my T's from Napa.....one is 5/8" and the other is 3/4"...both with a 3/8" T.
    Thank you gentlemen!!!!

I, like Shane, was able to pick up the T's and the manual shutoff valve from my local NAPA.

38. Thanks rolfer thanked for this post
    Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up my CF steering wheel plate earlier today. Did a little filling to knock back some of the gloss coat and all the buttons fit perfectly. I'm waiting on one more trim pot switch and wiring supplies, and will then wire it all up. Enjoy the eye candy.

40. Likes rolfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    BEAUTIFUL!

It was a bit of work but turned out so nice.

So many people take for granted just how cool some stuff in modern production cars are...kit car builders are not those people!
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

42. Likes LCD Gauges liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really really cool
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    BEAUTIFUL!

It was a bit of work but turned out so nice.

So many people take for granted just how cool some stuff in modern production cars are...kit car builders are not those people!
    Nailed it!!
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast