Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dash Doesnt line up with steering bushing

Post Thanks / Like

Dash Doesnt line up with steering bushing

I have the dash exactly centered on the support, measured to center perfectly. You can see from these pics that the steering pivot bushing is off to the left an inch or so. If I move the dash off center I then encroach the left gauge cutout. What gives?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend waiting until you can fit the body on the frame to determine the location of the dash ... This could have an impact on where it sits relative to the steering shaft; I know it does vertically assuming that you want to have the screws holding the dash to frame visible for easy removal.

I guess it is possible that you got a "bad" dash. You could measure the distance from the end of the dash and call FFR and ask them to confirm on another dash ...

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember there is some adjustment in the pillow bearing left to right i believe. Also, the steering shaft will not necessarily come out of the bearing perfectly perpendicular to the dash. Mine has a slight angle to it.

Also, your left gauge hole will be close to the dash support. Hope this helps.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It looks like the dash is scooted over to the right an inch or two.

Also, my steering shaft support bearing is 11" from the 2" vertical square tube that comes up to hold the 2" square tube that crosses the car.

This measurement is from the inside of the verticle tube, not the outside or centerline of the verticle square tube.

Also, check out this thread because it might help:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ering-the-dash
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-30-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious. What is your measurement from the far left drivers side edge of your dash to the center of the steering wheel opening. Earlier versions of the Mk4 had the steering wheel opening shifted an 1" or so different from the Mk4 roadster.

Measurement on the Mk4 should be 16 5/8".

Another place to measure for center is from the end of the 2" horizontal frame tube by the hinge mounts to the center of the dash. The hoop is not always symmetrical.

Post Thanks / Like
    The top of my steering shaft angles towards the center of the car noticeably. After talking to other owners that is not unusual. I think when you put your steering shaft in you will find that it will exit the dash pretty close to the center of the cutout. I have also observed that this angle is not near as noticeable on a finished vehicle for some reason.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go guys, here is what I found and what I did to fix it. The dash is not centered from FFR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK_zifMlyg&t=3s

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always install the steering gear first then the dash. Do yourself a favor and modify the dash so it can be removed with the body in place. You will thank yourself if the need ever goes up down the road.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Here you go guys, here is what I found and what I did to fix it. The dash is not centered from FFR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK_zifMlyg&t=3s
    Nailed It!

You may want to make drop down tabs for the screws that lt in since they regular mounting screws are somewhat hidden when you put the body on.
    Also, check out EdwardB's build because he's devised some hidden tabs to mount his dash.
    His builds are award-winning and over the top so check his stuff out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I always install the steering gear first then the dash. Do yourself a favor and modify the dash so it can be removed with the body in place. You will thank yourself if the need ever goes up down the road.
    I had the steering wheel in place at first but the build book doest state anything about symmetry. Only that there is about 3/16 of an inch on each end of the dash overlapping on the ends above the arch support. I did have steering wheel in at first but wanted to make sure you all thought it was right. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Nailed It!

You may want to make drop down tabs for the screws that lt in since they regular mounting screws are somewhat hidden when you put the body on.
    Also, check out EdwardB's build because he's devised some hidden tabs to mount his dash.
    His builds are award-winning and over the top so check his stuff out.
    Thank you, I will look into hs build. I would love to have the dash be hidden of unsightly screws or uneven lines from mounting.