Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4l70e supplied transmission mount won’t fit

Post Thanks / Like

4l70e supplied transmission mount won’t fit

I am installing An LS3 with a 4l70e transmission. TheFFR provided trans mount is labeled as a Multi-use Ford. It has mountholes to the trans of about 5.5”. The trans mounting holes are 3.75” center to center. FFR says this is the right mount, but wont fit. They maybe thinking of a manuaal tranny. Has anyone solved this issue?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go to summitracing.com. Search for transmission mounts. Sort by automatic. The first several that come up should all work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...l/applications

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can provide another warning about shifters for this transmission. Lokar makes a model that's supposed to fit the 4L60-4L70 series, but I found the throws to be off by about 11%. I had to shorten the lever arm to get that corrected. They also provide a straight 1/4" threaded rod for a linkage. That won't work either. There's a big bump in the housing that a straight rod will never clear. I made a linkage from 3/8" rod and welded short lengths of 1/4" threaded rod to each end, so the supplied rod ends could be used. I also found that the lever arm on the trans protruded out the side too far, so that arm was modified.

Other builders have chosen ratchet style shifters that use a cable to avoid all of these linkage problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    Go to summitracing.com. Search for transmission mounts. Sort by automatic. The first several that come up should all work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...l/applications
    If it’s like mine the Summit mount and others are to short. The tail shaft sits down on the frame. I haven’t decided what to do yet. Any recommendations?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the most common mounts are not all enough, then FFR screwed up the design. Is there a metal plate that at least aligns with the mount, so it would bolt up, is the mount was taller? You need to measure the angle of the engine and figure out if a spacer will fix the problem. This is one area where the typical build process is questionable. If you install the coil-overs you may not be able to get the car sitting at ride height without enough weight on it. If the bottom rail of the frame is intended to sit level at ride height, that would make the job much easier.

When I built my conventionally framed car, I used mock-up bars set to a length that put 60% of the shock travel in compression and measured the engine angle with tires mounted. When mock-up bars are used, weight is not a factor. The angle is normally somewhere between zero to a maximum of 3 degrees down at the tailshaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately it's not a ride height issue. I think it's going to be a mount or spacer issue. I'll take pictures tonight. Unfortunately while playing with this I discovered FF sent the wrong driveshaft. The sales order says 27 spline chevy 4L60/4L65E 34.75 shaft but the inventory sheet says 28 spline 34.25" driveshaft. When I did the inventory I matched everything to the inventory sheets when unpacking and never thought to go back to the sales order. I'm glad I discovered this now and not when I'm trying to get ready for go cart.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you didn't understand my reply. How are you going to figure out how much spacer might be needed? You have to measure the engine angle at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you didn't understand my reply. How are you going to figure out how much spacer might be needed? You have to measure the engine angle at some point.
    Thanks Dave. I understood your answer, but I have to first get the tail shaft above the frame rails then measure the engine angle to determine the amount of spacer needed. Right now I'm just trying to get close and was wondering if any others had encountered this on the LS3/4L70E combination.

Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It does seem odd that there would be a need for a lot of spacer. You're using the most common trans mount, so that should not be the problem.

I found a post from someone who had set the ride height on their '33. See post #5.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fac...de-height.html

Post Thanks / Like
    This is for a t56, but the same will work for you. Third pic on post 35 in toms 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1932 View Post
    This is for a t56, but the same will work for you. Third pic on post 35 in toms 33.
    Thanks for the pics Tom. What did you use for the spacer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thick wall pipe for bolts and 3/16 flat bar for sides, all high as you need and wielded up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you need something really thick, consider a piece of aluminum bar stock that can be bought in thicknesses of 1-2 inches. It's easy to cut and drill. A thickness change of 1/4 inch will produce a little less than 1/2 degree of angle change. 1/8 inch bar stock could be used for more precise angle changes.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=60
    Last edited by DaveS53; 12-09-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need something really thick, consider a piece of aluminum bar stock that can be bought in thicknesses of 1-2 inches. It's easy to cut and drill. A thickness change of 1/4 inch will produce a little less than 1/2 degree of angle change. 1/8 inch bar stock could be used for more precise angle changes.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=60
    Thanks Dave. It looks like 1 to 1 1/4 inches will be close. I won’t know for sure until I get her back on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lokar Sport Mode shifter for 4L70E transmission. I am the beta test for the Lokar Sport Mode shifter on a 4L70E transmission. I have it installed and it is working perfectly. The detent movement on the shifter matches the detent movement on the transmission gear selector arm. To select manual shift move the gear shift lever to drive and to the right this well but the transmission manual mode. You can bump shift up or down by pushing or pulling the shift lever. I'll be submitting my full report to Lokar next week
    Build # 896, LS376/480 with 4L70E transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If the most common mounts are not all enough, then FFR screwed up the design. /...
    FFR's design accommodates a tremendous amount of engine combinations out of the box. Depending on your chosen drive train, spacers are needed. Most use aluminum bar stock, depending on the amount of space you need to fill.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Joe View Post
    Lokar Sport Mode shifter for 4L70E transmission. I am the beta test for the Lokar Sport Mode shifter on a 4L70E transmission. I have it installed and it is working perfectly. The detent movement on the shifter matches the detent movement on the transmission gear selector arm. To select manual shift move the gear shift lever to drive and to the right this well but the transmission manual mode. You can bump shift up or down by pushing or pulling the shift lever. I'll be submitting my full report to Lokar next week
    Build # 896, LS376/480 with 4L70E transmission.
    This is some great news. Do you have any idea when this shifter might hit the market?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    FFR's design accommodates a tremendous amount of engine combinations out of the box. Depending on your chosen drive train, spacers are needed. Most use aluminum bar stock, depending on the amount of space you need to fill.

Thanks David. I think that is what I will use between the mount and the transmission. That should make it easy to obtain the correct height.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best thing to do for transmission cooler lines? Should I remove the quick connect fittings and replace them with -AN fittings (my first choice) or do they make an adapter to go from quick connect to -AN?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used AN fittings along with stainless steel braided PTFE hose from Summit. I bought enough hose for both my fuel line and transmission cooler hoses. It's so much easier than hard lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used AN fittings along with stainless steel braided PTFE hose from Summit. I bought enough hose for both my fuel line and transmission cooler hoses. It's so much easier than hard lines.
    Thanks Dave. That was my first thought but I wasn't sure if someone had a better idea. Are the fittings 3/8 NPT in the transmission.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACMAN View Post
    Thanks Dave. That was my first thought but I wasn't sure if someone had a better idea. Are the fittings 3/8 NPT in the transmission.
    The fittings should have 1/4" straight pipe threads.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220027/overview/

https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_...eads_13376.htm
    Last edited by DaveS53; 12-19-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found out you have to check before you order the fittings to replace the GM quick connect fittings. GM apparently used several different ones. Mine were 9/16-14.