Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5mt oil cooler

Post Thanks / Like

5mt oil cooler

I know this has been discussed, but I believe most of the info is lost in build threads that I can’t find. I’d imagine any oil cooler will work, but what are we looking for in a pump? Cx Racing has a 3.7gpm pump for fairly cheap, summit has Tilton pumps for a little more rated at 1-2gpm. Should we use a filter before the pump?

If anyone has info in their build thread, or knows where I’ve seen some of this on here before please post a link.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    3.7 gpm is way too much, around 1 gpm is good. Use a filter before the pump.

I use a 3.7 gpm cheap e-bay pump but I slow it down to around 1 gpm.
    Information about my 5MT trans cooler starts here:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post313246

And ends here with a few posts about the trans cooler in between.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post315148
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 05-30-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Hobby Racer, I knew it was someone posting regularly this winter that did it. Are you still pumping the oil back into the rear cover? Have you considered checking the fluid level with the pump on so as to ensure it stays high enough for the gears to pick it up?
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Still pumping it back in the rear. I have not tried checking the level with the pump running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good timing on bringing this up. I just pulled out my old 5MT cooler stuff to sell the tranny to one of the other racers here.

My Legacy GT race car was built originally by the Subaru Road Race Team (Joe Aquilante at Phoenix Performance) in 2005 and raced in the Grand Am Cup in 2006. When I bought it from Joe it came with the following tranny cooler setup:
    1) Legacy GT 5 speed. The LGT 5 speed has the advantage of not having a speedometer gear so the speedometer gear hole is available to route the oil back into the tranny.
    2) Welded steel AN fittings in drilled out Subaru oem plugs in the drain and speedo ports. See pics.
    3) Weldon 9200 A pump.
    4) All -8AN lines and fittings.
    5) Mocal cooler w/ Spal fan.
    6) Identical setup for the rear diff, obviously not applicable for an 818.
    7) Switches on dash to control the pumps and the fans.
    8) Tees with temp sensors logged and displayed thru the AIM dash.
    9) Inline filters.
    This is expensive stuff...$475 for each pump in 2018 $$$.
    Most of the pump manufacturers will tell you to put the cooler before the pump (the pump is working with cooler oil and lasts longer). However this system was setup with the coolers after the pumps. That cools the heat from both the engine and the pump before it goes back in the tranny.
    Hope this helps.

Fittings:

Drain:

Fill in the Speedo port:

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 06-01-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice setup Gator, and thanks for adding it here for future reference.

Any thought on ideal temps? I’m looking to use an inline temp sensor and make the system self contained. These are the parts I’m thinking of using.

Temp sensor on at 180* off at 165*
    Pump 1-2 gph
    Inline filter
    Cooler

I’ve tapped the center diff housing on top, all the way forward, just to the divers side of the center rib. So that’ll put the cooled oil right on top of 5th gear.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Still pumping it back in the rear. I have not tried checking the level with the pump running.
    You really should check. I have a setup on my Porsche 911 racer. I fill the trans fluid to normal level with pump off, then click on pump then top off to correct level with pump flowing. You will be amazed on the amount of gear oil you should add because of the oil displacement.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post

Any thought on ideal temps? I’m looking to use an inline temp sensor and make the system self contained. These are the parts I’m thinking of using.

Pump 1-2 gph
    Inline filter
    Cooler

I’ve tapped the center diff housing on top, all the way forward, just to the divers side of the center rib. So that’ll put the cooled oil right on top of 5th gear.
    I have found that most cars with a transaxle, the oil of the gearbox and motor will mirror each other once adding a trans cooler. www.improvedracing.com has some trick inline switches and stuff you can adapt. I think that setup you outlined will be perfect.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Pump 1-2 gph
    Inline filter
    Cooler

That list is very good with two notes.
    I use the the same Derale temp sensor on my STI oil cooler, it works great. However you can't or at least shouldn't run the full amperage of the pump draw thru it. Use a relay to take the switch signal and then let the relay switch the pump.

I have that little filter too but I was only going to use it for my turbo feed line, and it will be in a very accessible place. The problem with the little filters is they are a simple screen. That's fine unless you forget to check it (all the time). On my race cars it will be on the daily post event check list. The reason is that screen can fill up very quickly and block the oil. For the tranny you might want to use a much larger filter that you don't need to check every day. On the plus size if it does block up it will just stop the flow and you'll see tranny temps starting to rise. Probably not catastrophic like blocked flow to the turbo bearing. On the LGT I used one of the 5-6" long ones that have fairly large filters. I was just looking at these filters listed in the PRI industry magazine because I'd like more filter media than the little screen provides. : https://motorsports.flowezyfilters.com The prices are very reasonable for a Made in the USA product.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    You really should check. I have a setup on my Porsche 911 racer. I fill the trans fluid to normal level with pump off, then click on pump then top off to correct level with pump flowing. You will be amazed on the amount of gear oil you should add because of the oil displacement.
    Wow, checked this today. With the pump running I need to add another 1.5 - 2.0 quarts to obtain normal level. So now the level is correct when the pump is on but what about when its off? Will the extra gear oil cause an issue when running cold without the pump?
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 06-02-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chad for adding!

Gator, I hear what your saying about the filter. The ones you listed seem pretty sweet but it got me thinking, why not use a remote oil filter base and use a engine oil filter?

Hobby, I too was wondering about that. I think that a little drag on the gears would be probably unnoticeable however I think I’m going to vent the rear cover with a hose looped high and back down pointing to the ground by the diffuser. My concern being that if the case somehow got pressurized I don’t want the dipstick blowing out and oil hitting my exhaust.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Wow, checked this today. With the pump running I need to add another 1.5 - 2.0 quarts to obtain normal level. So now the level is correct when the pump is on but what about when its off? Will the extra gear oil cause an issue when running cold without the pump?
    Not sure on the Suby-but I doubt anything bad will happen. You could always add a one way check valve, Or vent like Adam is thinking.

Nothing bad has happened on the Porsche at all when I forget to turn the pump on (The transmission does have a vent on top). I usally turn it on towards the end of the pace lap once warmed up for the first run/race of the day.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 06-02-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Canadian you could use a remote engine oil filter. You'd have to mount it on the pressure side of the pump otw to the cooler > trans. You wouldn't want to try to suck the oil thru the filter. Inline filters are typically used because of the space constraint under a car near the transmission, and in fuel lines for the same reason.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    Canadian you could use a remote engine oil filter. You'd have to mount it on the pressure side of the pump otw to the cooler > trans. You wouldn't want to try to suck the oil thru the filter. Inline filters are typically used because of the space constraint under a car near the transmission, and in fuel lines for the same reason.
    So it’s ok to suck oil through an inline filter? Don’t like the idea of putting the filter after the pump.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    So it’s ok to suck oil through an inline filter? Don’t like the idea of putting the filter after the pump.
    I have an inline filter before the pump- I myself would not have a filter after the pump. (Genesis pump) http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defaul...en-gc1111.html

The pump sprays the R&P and sucks out the bottom drain hole, then through inline filter. I blew 2nd gear at COTA (48 year old gear...lol) and the filter caught all the pieces before ruining the $200 pump and $180 cooler.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 06-03-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, like what Chad did. Of course the filter media size and micron sizing matters too. Be sure to check the micron size when you get the filter, I have an Earls inline filter I got at Summit. It says 140 micron, but that's BS, I swear if you used it as window screen your house would be full of mosquitoes! Beach sand pours thru it. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...8erl/overview/

If you're sucking the oil thru it I wouldn't go too fine on the micron size.

Looking at Chad's Moroso at Summit, it says it has a 16 mesh filter, which equates to 1190 microns. That's really large for an oil filter screen, which is why he can suck the oil thru it. Grains of table salt are 100 microns, and window screen is 1,400 microns. But we're not worried about main crankshaft bearings here, just passing thru the pump and cooler without damaging them. For that purpose it works great. But it's not going to clean your transmission oil like a engine oil filter does. The fine screen inline filters or a remote mount engine oil filter would have to be on the pressure side of the pump to catch that stuff.

I don't have one on my STI cooler because it's using the internal OEM pump, and has one of those magnetic drain plugs that collects metal shavings. I suppose I could put a filter on the cooler line but I don't know if the internal pump has the power to push the oil thru the lines, cooler, and filter. It wasn't designed for that application so I'm not going to risk it.

The nice thing about FlowEzy is you can call them and discuss what you are doing to get their recommendation.
    818R ICSCC SPM

Post Thanks / Like
    This is where I installed my oil return. I also tapped a hole for a vent line.

818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017