Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  415

Thread: Black&Copper - 33 Hot Rod #1028

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well its been a while since I last had posted anything as I have been enjoying being able to actually get out and drive around. As well its been a bit frustrating where I have had issues with the overflow tank and trying to get the level of coolant set correctly in the rad such that the tank doesn't spit out the top and create a huge mess. That was solved by removing some coolant out of the rad (about 1" lower than the bottom of the neck), then making sure the overflow had no more than 1" of coolant in it when cold. I also increased the hole size in the vent from the 1/32" to 1/16" which allows a better venting when it starts to expand into the overflow tank.
    20200807_191731.jpg 20200807_191739.jpg 20200807_191746.jpg

However, now the coolant issue has moved to the fittings on the top of my engine, they are the Dorman compatible fittings which slip on and clip into place, what I am finding is that if they don't sit virtually perfect on the top of the engine they leak! And here I am cleaning the engine bay and below again from coolant! So I ended up biting the bullet and bought AN fittings from MMR, http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....roducts_id=549, (they only sell them in kits and not individually), ouch they are expensive but will look great. Again, HOWEVER, even though they specify they will work on my engine, the drivers side fitting is different on my engine that comes with their kit! DAMN!!! Will be speaking with MMR t see what can be done and go from there.
    20200305_194546 - Markup.jpg The two fittings that are circled in red

On a side note I buckled to my son and changed the battery as well (had a few close calls of not starting without my booster pack I keep in the car), I think I could have killed the original Odyssey PC925 battery that FFR recommends by keeping it constantly charging and recharging, lesson learned is don't buy the permanent battery until its time be able to run the car or you'll kill it. We ended up getting a "OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® 34/78 Battery, 750 CCA" battery and the car can go for a couple weeks sitting there before you should put the tender on it.
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

2. Likes JOP33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT '33 View Post
    On a side note I buckled to my son and changed the battery as well (had a few close calls of not starting without my booster pack I keep in the car), I think I could have killed the original Odyssey PC925 battery that FFR recommends by keeping it constantly charging and recharging, lesson learned is don't buy the permanent battery until its time be able to run the car or you'll kill it. We ended up getting a "OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® 34/78 Battery, 750 CCA" battery and the car can go for a couple weeks sitting there before you should put the tender on it.
    Did you consider a Lithium Iron battery? They are much smaller and lighter, and hold the charge better too (you will need to also buy a tender that is suitable for LiFe Batteries)