Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curvy Road G3 Coupe Build

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dash and the Shifter look great... nice piece you have there! Looks like it will work nice and the position is good. I did notice the tunnel top is drilled for rivets.... Have you thought about make the tunnel top removable? The interior looks like its well on it's way to be first class... would hate to have to rip into any covering if you ever need to in the trans area or worst case pull the tranny.
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 04-09-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    The Dash and the Shifter look great... nice piece you have there! Looks like it will work nice and the position is good. I did notice the tunnel top is drilled for rivets.... Have you thought about make the tunnel top removable? The interior looks like its well on it's way to be first class... would hate to have to rip into any covering if you ever need to in the trans area or worst case pull the tranny.
    Sounds like a great idea, Erik! How did you do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forcefed1 View Post

There will be a total of 4 AC vents which each replicate my wheels.
    LOVE where you are going with this!! I'm VERY interested to see what where you plan to hide the A/C controls. The stock control set from FFR would look somewhat out of place, no?

brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eric! I can easily tap those rivet holes 10-32-to make that panel a good access panel for the future. Good idea. It's certainly fun melding all the ideas i see on the other builds and from previous cars into my own creation!

Dlirium... as for the AC controls, I was planning to build custom ones. I'm considering just designing a board and the dials and all and creating what I want. It is a very simple circuit. I will machine the dials to fit the car.

Im putting the last touches on the toggle button design tonight. I'm hoping to have the prototypes made by the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say to plan ahead on your ac hoses. There isn't much room back behind the dash.
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    The golden rule of cardboard:”if it works in cardboard you can make it out of anything else”.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Big news this week is that the body is ready for sealer and should be getting painted late this week.
    I also got test spray samples of 7 colors. FINALLY choose my color. Hands down of the 7 finalists it's the one I was looking for all along.

I'm actually not ready for it.
    I thought for sure by the time I got to this point I would have been waiting for a month or so all finished. But NOPE. Im still messing around with the dashboard and installing the AC. the Air jack system I made is completely fabricated. Ready for trial fit and then powder coating. LOTS AND LOTS of custom details to finish up before I set the body on! Im so excited to see it installed though. Ill have to DO IT before the interior details are finished. Its not like the body holds all that back much.

Post Thanks / Like
    For everyone wondering. My shifter consists of two parts I designed and then made in my cnc machine shop. Those parts BOLT directly to the stock mt-82 mustang transmission shifter mount points Mine is as SHORT AS IT GETS. It uses the stock mustang shift lever, knob,rubber boot pivot bushing and lockout.
    The shift pattern is just like stock. Position feels very good. Throw works well with my dash and racing seat. My design pivots the shift ball forward some to help with my long arms. Im 6'2" 195#

for the rest of the tranny if you look back you will see my mount that bolts right to the tranny but uses a urethane I found at autozone. I returned my driveshaft to FFR and made an adapter for the tranny. The adapter removed the factory rubber doughnut and then the driveshaft uses a common end on both sides. I had a custom driveshaft made locally.

I also had to make the clutch hydraulic. not a big deal just ordered a 7/8 willwood master cylinder. The large master cuts down the throw of the pedal and the pedal is not too heavy. this helps me again since im tall. It allowed me to adjust the clutch farther back and still have enough throw to work in the tranny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forcefed1 View Post
    then I finished the front brake brackets.
    the brackets allow me to use the factory five spindles and the 2015 ford brakes. I am using the front 4 piston 14" rotors and calipers

Attachment 79439Attachment 79443

I still have to tap the lower ear hole with a 12 x 1.75 mm tap .
    But you get the idea of how it fits. I also need to replace the lower ball joint boot as I tore it while removing the spindle to cut off the ear.
    I later learned after finishing the design and fitting it up, I didn't need to remove the spindle.
    Attachment 79444
    I have been lurking around reading as much as I can on building a coupe to hopefully pull the trigger this winter and start next spring and because of the 2015+ 14" brakes being very affordable I have been looking for an adapter bracket. Would you be willing to make another set sometime in the future. Just trying to plan ahead. Thanks and awesome build thread. Love the custom CNC work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi ted,
    Id be happy to make all kinds of stuff here for other forum members.

Just PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    HUGE PROGRESS

PAINT is ready for reassembly.

just started getting parts back on teh car to reassemble.

color started off as Chevy Laguna blue pearl on teh 14-16 corvettes. We took out all the pearl and made it heavy metallic which darkened it some and defiantly made it change in the light!

The stripes are Ford Magnetic. a modern ford color.

The wheels are Gunmetal from Forgestar. Super Deep Concave 12" wide

Post Thanks / Like
    HUGE PROGRESS

PAINT is ready for reassembly.

just started getting parts back on teh car to reassemble.

color started off as Chevy Laguna blue pearl on teh 14-16 corvettes. We took out all the pearl and made it heavy metallic which darkened it some and defiantly made it change in the light!

The stripes are Ford Magnetic. a modern ford color.

The wheels are Gunmetal from Forgestar. Super Deep Concave 12" wide

made some billet inside door pulls too.

IMG_9870_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_9871_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_9925_1400x1050.JPG IMG_9950_1400x1050.JPG IMG_9951_1400x1050.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    more photos. of body work progress

went with dark grey sealer.

Did three coats total of slick sand. Final finish was a wet sand with 400 grit using guidecoat to find pinholes and small scratch marks.
    my painter let me participate in the entire process which I really enjoyed learning.

IMG_9930_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_9931_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_9940_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_9944_1400x1050.JPG

installed heat shield before the headliner was glued in place.

IMG_9963_1400x1050.JPG

also installed the quad mat from breeze in the floor as well as sound deadening and head shield all over the place.

IMG_9967_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 05-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a teaser photo to see the color close up.

IMG_9961_1050x1050.JPG

after painting I got the back of the car loaded on my truck and headed home for installation.

I LOVE THE COLORS!! Such a hard decision! Easily the hardest part of the build.
    Im so pleased with the final outcome.
    because we "engineered" the blue. i was not sure how it would look.

IMG_9952_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 05-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Forcefed!
    Exiting times ahead for reassembly. I'm in the midst of that now, and knowing that I'm putting it together for the last time is very satisfying.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really sharp! I'm looking forward to seeing the assembled result!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys.

I all my free time this weekend lining things up and putting in carpeting.

it's very rewarding. Every hour you can back up and SEE the progress. it's all coming together real nice. Panel fitment it perfect!
    such an exciting time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of progress on the reassembly!!!!!

I finally drove it out into the day light. I'm very pleased with how all the metallic flake POPS in the sun. Plenty of details to finish but the large stuff is all mounted and lining up well! Only large piece of the body is the front splitter.

The state came out and inspected it today. I should be driving it in a week.

Most of the remaining work is in the inside.

Im real happy with how it's turning out.

IMG_0013_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0014_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0015_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0016_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 05-14-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now the entire car is back at the body shop for color sanding.

Once I get it back in a day or two Ill finish all the details and wire up the lights.

I still have several wheel well liner panels to install and all the vent covers.

Then Ill figure out the air jacks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, looks fast sitting still!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a few more photos.

The wing is installed and the cross bracing is finished. it's nice and stiff now!!
    you can tell there is a solid aluminum bar at the top of the black brackets tying both sides together just below the fiberglass.

Just off off that bar I attached the 1/4" threaded rods. at first i planned on tie rod ends. but in the end I just bent the rods into hooks at the bottom and drew them tight with the bolts on the top.
    I really like How tight the wing remains to the back of the car. not hanging off the rear or poking out the back panel. as you can see in one photo. im as close as I can get to the hatch when opening.

You can also see the small slits in the fiberglass for the wing brackets. The brackets are each two pieces. They connect just under the fiberglass.
    I made all this so I could remove the wing one day and install the stock spoiler right over the slits.

IMG_0030_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0032_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0037_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0055_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 05-29-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    next on the details list was the hatch.

The stock hatch latch was very underwhelming. So, I designed a new one. I pulled rank in the shop and Nick milled one out for me. so I could finish that part of the install.

Here's the stock one and mine together. mine bolts with 3 10-32 button screws from teh back side. No exposed fasteners and as you can see fills the ledge well latched perfect once installed. also since it capture the latch on the sides it holds the hatch glass centered side to side

IMG_0056_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0058_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 06-29-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the hatch fitting nice and tight. I moved attention to the front nose.

I installed the new sheetmetal. for the fender wells.

The stock nose pins were NOT going to work. they sort of worked and then the pin would hit the flat on the bottom of the cavity and you had to shove the nose to get it to finish closing.

I designed and Nick made a new cavity for the existing pin to fit up tighter and have a nicer taper. the newvsetup puts the nose right into the ideal spot for panel gap every time I open and close it!

check it out. this shows the stock one and the new one I made.IMG_0046_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0047_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 05-29-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the nose secured and lining up well, I turned my attention to paint protection film and rock chip protection. I installed Xpel film in key areas around the bottom and front of the car.

I also installed the inner wheel well liners all over. All of that went pretty well. The liners took a little while. they fit up real well in the end. I also got all the mesh inserts installed.

all of this cam out well. To hold the hood top inserts in place while the adhesive setup, I had some thick black foam I could stuff into the opening in the hood. I may cut some more of it to leave installed and totally fill in the gap there.

let see if I can find some photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed1,
    I'm really enjoying your Gen 3 Coupe build with so many nice equipment and design choices as well as their implementation. Nice to have a CNC Machine shop too!!
    Just last Saturday, I placed my order for a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe and so my journey started for real.

Question regarding your seat choice, Corbeau Sportline RRS. I'm surprised it fits with the side reclining seat hinge and controls. I see it apparently does, but how tight a fit? Any compromises or alterations to make it fit? Will you actually be able to use the reclining to any degree in the Coupe?
    I'm considering the Corbeau Sportline Evolution X, that Edwardb has fit into his Gen 3 Coupe.
    Did you compare the two seats? Pros and Cons?

Second question regards your choice of wheels, the Forgestar F14. I've been admiring these wheels for a number of years, but really didn't have a car to put them on. Would 18s fit on the Coupe both front and rear if I were to use front tires in the 245-275 range and rears at 315?
    My FFR Order currently has the 18" Replica Halibrands, but I'd consider the Forgestar F14s for a bit more modern look, while still looking somewhat like the Halibrands. I have a month to 6 weeks to decide.

I probably have more compliments on and questions about your build and car, but will post them later.

Bob Build Log soon to be posted: "Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build"

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed1, How about a few photos from the rear, dead rear and at some angles to showing off the 335s on the 19" Forgestar wheels and fitments to the body, etc.
    I'm liking the look so far.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots to like here; thanks for taking the time to share it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels are a tight fit! tires even tighter. I saw some recent photos where FFR had to step their wheels outside the fenders on the R car to make the wheels clear. I did not want that look.
    What I did instead was ordered the wheels with as much offset as forgestar would make. with just the wheels everything clears. But not now that im driving and loading things down. Then I still had to make 3/8 thick spacers and set chassis ride height to 4.5". I also had to cut out a part of the tube frame. It's one of the diagonal braces that runs just behind the seats. . I tried modifying it to make it thinner at first . It still rubbed at 130 MPH. I removed it all together. With this and the wing, I'm still seeing the inside corner of the tires rubbing just a little on the frame. I polished the frame location with a grinder and sanding wheel. Now the tire does not appear to get any damage and I painted the frame so I can monitor rubbing. If i push the car in tight turns at speed, Im still seeing a little tiny bit of rubbing. I can add more wheel spacer and still stay under the fenders so that's my plan next. Another 1/8" to the spacer should do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brandle View Post
    Forcefed1,
    I'm really enjoying your Gen 3 Coupe build with so many nice equipment and design choices as well as their implementation. Nice to have a CNC Machine shop too!!
    Just last Saturday, I placed my order for a Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe and so my journey started for real.

Question regarding your seat choice, Corbeau Sportline RRS. I'm surprised it fits with the side reclining seat hinge and controls. I see it apparently does, but how tight a fit? Any compromises or alterations to make it fit? Will you actually be able to use the reclining to any degree in the Coupe?
    I'm considering the Corbeau Sportline Evolution X, that Edwardb has fit into his Gen 3 Coupe.
    Did you compare the two seats? Pros and Cons?

Second question regards your choice of wheels, the Forgestar F14. I've been admiring these wheels for a number of years, but really didn't have a car to put them on. Would 18s fit on the Coupe both front and rear if I were to use front tires in the 245-275 range and rears at 315?
    My FFR Order currently has the 18" Replica Halibrands, but I'd consider the Forgestar F14s for a bit more modern look, while still looking somewhat like the Halibrands. I have a month to 6 weeks to decide.

I probably have more compliments on and questions about your build and car, but will post them later.

Bob Build Log soon to be posted: "Bob's Arizona Gen 3 Coupe Build"

BOB i went with these corbeau RRS seats because of the quilted pattern stitched in them. I preferred the way that looked and My door panels I'm working on now have that pattern also.
    The seats fit right in. I did have to remove the 5 point harness and make my own mount locations to get a little more clearance. Im 6"2 195#. I installed the seats right to the floor. I put them as far back as they go and I made spacers for the front to tilt the bottom cution some more. The recline function of the seat does not get touched. I mounted the seats as far back as I could once I set my preferred angle with the recline. the car is TIGHT to say the least.

I have also cut a frame bar out of the foot box to the left of the clutch to give me MUCH more foot room for my left foot. This and a narrower pedal work real well. I also have a dead peddal on the back left corner which is a nice addition I use it all the time. I also have a smaller removable steering wheel to get into and out of the car easier. worth noting. the smaller wheel can probably go a little larger. I bought the leather wheel FFR made for the GTM. I like the way it feels but the power steering is sensitive. I have lots of other sports cars this one is hard to get used to with the steering being so sensitive. a larger wheel will help. I'm going to try that out. I also installed a custom dash that is about 4" farther back and tilted. All these simple little things added up to a MUCH more fitting car to drive.

I have about 500 miles on the odometer so far. I can say for sure I am VERY pleased with all the mods and the car is a blast to drive. ergonomically it works quite well now!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a BUNCH of recent photos to post. stay tuned and I will post up some details of the wheels tires and some other good stuff i have been able to make.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed1, Thanks for your detailed answers, modification descriptions and comments, all so valuable and appreciated! Looking forward to your photos and future discussions. Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    now that summer is here progress has been slowed down a whole lot.
    I have been doing all sorts of details. The AC is blowing cold it helps a lot. the controls for it are not finished. Im just running it wide open for now. I also made some mud flaps. I bought some 1/4" thick mud flap material from a trucker supply store online and cut it up into the pattern I wanted. In the photos I only have 3 installed as I'm not quite finished. So often i get a project 94% finished and just work with it like that for a long time.

The exterior is now nearly finished. All I lack is to powdercoat the brake calipers. side view mirrors and back up lighting
    for teh side view mirrors im using teh FFR sport mirrors but ive designed some mount bracket that allow me to install them on eh top of teh door. more photos to come if people want to see that.

IMG_0184_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0187_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0189_1400x1050.JPG

The grass is 5" tall in the above photos the car is not as low as it looks.

IMG_0193_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0200_1400x1050.JPG

here's those hella driving lights.

IMG_0203_1400x1050.JPG
    back tires
    IMG_0205_1400x1050.JPG
    front tires. vents are installed in side and top of hood.
    IMG_0209_1400x1050.JPG
    Heres a few recent photos now that the splitter is finished. I also found some very very bright driving beam Hella HID lights that fit nicely. They are the 4000Xi HID lights with custom mount brackets.

I cleaned the car up the other day and took a few photos in the yard enjoy.
    Last edited by forcefed1; 06-28-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    heres a few more
    IMG_0215_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0221_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0229_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0234_1680x994.JPG

this shows the metallic flake in the air dam side skirts

IMG_0238_1400x1050.JPG
    good wing clearance on the hatch glass shot

IMG_0242_1400x1050.JPG

engine bay
    IMG_0252_1400x1050.JPG

IMG_0248_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 06-29-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    still working on the dash but painted it black so it blends in until i cover it in leather.
    IMG_0057_1400x1050.JPG

all the lavashield is installed on the foot boxes and working very well. it was a tight fit doing this after the engine is in.
    to anyone going this route. do it before the engine is in.
    IMG_0152_1400x1050.JPG

You can see here a little of the new wheel well liners from FFR in the coupe upgrades sheet metal kit. And my air jacks I made.
    the jacks are installed but I have not plumbed them in.

IMG_0253_1400x1050.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 06-29-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed1, Thanks for the additional photos!! But the photos in your 7:47PM and 7:57PM posts can't be seen, at least by me. Invalid address message.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    You will never get out of a gas station. The car looks awesome. The splitter, wing and paint colors change the look so much that it is almost hard to recognize. So you'll get to explain it all. (you would have to anyway)

Congrats, Glen
    Coupe 0652 408 Windsor 510 hp TKO600-68OD 3.73 Traction-lok A/C and heat, Guardsman Blue with White stripes picked up 9/14 first start 7/10/15 go kart 8/15/15 registered, painted (body-on) 11/12/16 inspected and on the road 4/20/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill have to fix those.

Thanks Gsides9!
    it's been such a fun build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome looking ride!!

John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast