BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curvy Road G3 Coupe Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured I would post another update.

I am missing parts all over the place to continue work on the mechanics. I have had the Kit about 7 weeks now and not one of the backordered parts has arrived.

Im still missing my steering rack and PS pump and mounts.
    Radiator mount brackets
    Rear suspension A armes
    Exhaust
    Header bolts
    fuel tank pump mounts
    Heat and AC...
    plus a slew of other parts.

With so many parts missing, I lost momentum and started to loose motivation. NOW I have a week off from work and it's real cold out. Great time to work on my winter project right.
    I switched gears to work on the body stuff.

I have not identified a shop to do the body and paint for me. From what I am seeing from others 2-3 months wait is standard.
    Im looking for a shop that can do small & local car show quality paint and body work. In the past years I have done repair and restoration work myself including the paint and body work. Im too hard on my own work to enjoy the car once i'm finished. I find with body work I stare at the minor imperfections. and If i made them i know right where to stare. It's unsatisfying as the years go by. I plan to drive this car on the road a bunch. I am not looking to over complicate things with the color so candy coats and pearl top coats are not the direction I'm looking to go. BUT i do have detailed eye for very nice paint and body work. I personally do color sanding and polishing and very fine detailing of my other cars and i enjoy that part.

If anyone has a body shop they recommend, Let me know. Price is less important to me than quality and on time delivery. I dont mind it taking a few months but if you say 2 months 4-5 kills it for me.

SO, I switched things up and i'm working on getting the body ready for paint NOW. this should shrink the build time by a few months a hope.

My current plan for completion is June 1 2018. I would like to drive the car for a few months while the weather is nice this year. Hmm.... Sounds like I just set a date. It's not a deadline just a projection...

I got the rear on no-problem.

Then came the nose.
    The nose took me about 6 hours to set and rough trim. Then another 6 to final set and install the latches. I installed the gas shocks right away. I was surprised how much it pushed the nose forward. I didn't have enough adjustment left in the joints to take that much out.
    I would guess the gas shocks pushed the nose gap open 3/8 of an inch.

I ended up removing the shocks and the pivot mounts. I milled the slots in the pivot mounts deeper. after a few more hours and playing with placement of bumpers in the right areas, I'm real happy with how it is laying.
    All the curves on the back of the nose are matching up with the body very well. The pontoon gap is matching up nicely. I sanded in my 3/16 gap on the nose and rounded the edges.
    I powdercoated all the rear hatch and door brackets.

Today I'm working on the doors

IMG_9493_1067x800.JPG

IMG_9495_1067x800.JPG

IMG_9496_1067x800.JPG

IMG_9505_1067x800.JPG
    as you can see here i shaved too much from the curved region I need to build up about 3/16" through a 12" region on this side. BUT that's it!

I plan to build it up with resin and chopped cloth.

IMG_9506_1067x800.JPG

In order to get the drivers side front pontoon to line up I had to shim up the front door area of the main body.
    I had originally adjusted the front heim pivots until they were out of travel on that side. but then the curves were not matching where the body comes together.
    several times i removed the front Heim joints and used jack stands to set the nose where it wanted to be in a relaxed state. There just wasn't enough travel

I ended up shaving very little from the passenger side of the nose and 1/2 inch from the drivers side before the gap at the pontoon matched the wheel arch in the nose.
    IMG_9509_1067x800.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    You may want to take a closer look before going that way. At least know what you're getting into. You mention you have a 2015 Coyote motor from Mustang GT. That's the Gen 2 Coyote. AEM's website only talks about the 2011-2014 Coyote. They're quite different. Digging a little deeper into some AEM forum posts, at least as of several months ago they don't directly support the 2015+ Coyote. Some pretty deep workarounds or part changing options are described.
    Great advice. I didn't know the others using it were using the 1G coyote.

As soon as I finish up the body installation and fit i plan to move into that next.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    THat's pretty much what I had to do... in order to get my nose centered or extremely close was I had to push the pass side body as far forward on the A-pillar as far as it would go....then I standing on the passenger side door opening I had to "shove" the body over to the driver's side. I then put 1 self tapper in that side pontoon... Moving over to the driver's side... I pushed that side aft about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and then added a spacer UNDER the pontoon. You will want to put the rubber bumpers on there to make sure it will all line up after paint...and to keep the hood from chipping the paint while it shifts around driving

I put one rubber bumper directly under the latch to give the body a place to press against so it doesn't shift around. You may find that the Passenger side U-bolt cannot be lowered enough at this point... I ended up re-welding a plate on there.. but FRR snap-on car had an off-set plate they made that did the job nicely... not sure the production cars are fixed.. but the beta car had a small issue here.

for the rubber bumpers.. this is what I did and my gaps are pretty nice:

3 bumpers along the horizontal
    1 Bumper on the curve (one on each side)
    2 on the pontoon (one under the latch and one at the wheel arch where the pontoon ends.

I also put 6 of those bumpers in the opening for the rear glass to hold up the glass and to "pinch" it in place so it didn't shift around while driving.... initially I only had rubber seal, but it compressed and then the glass started to squeak against the paint and body... I can't stand squeaks! after the bumpers went in place... no more squeaks and the glass has a really nice "click" when it closes and feel SHUT and not just closed.

FWIW anyway.

As far the AEM... the only difference in the '14 to '15 that I saw is the ECU plug in which can be overcome by not using the plug and play harness... mechanically the engines are the same in the mind of the ECU... we were actually going to do this on my car but received the ECU too late... would have meant "de-wiring" the Ford ECU and harness out of the car... unfortunately I FULLY INTEGRATED the harness and it would have been a mess to go back and pull that all out given the time I had left. - I would do some research as was suggested...and then decide... but the sensors are the same- only difference is the coil connections changed.. but you an swap the coils out....ask me how I know
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 12-28-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    As far the AEM... the only difference in the '14 to '15 that I saw is the ECU plug in which can be overcome by not using the plug and play harness... mechanically the engines are the same in the mind of the ECU... we were actually going to do this on my car but received the ECU too late... would have meant "de-wiring" the Ford ECU and harness out of the car... unfortunately I FULLY INTEGRATED the harness and it would have been a mess to go back and pull that all out given the time I had left. - I would do some research as was suggested...and then decide... but the sensors are the same- only difference is the coil connections changed.. but you an swap the coils out....ask me how I know
    I don't remotely claim to have all the answers. But looks like it's a little more complicated than only incompatible connectors. Cams are different, phasers are different, IMRC added to the Gen 2, just to name three. Phasers and IMRC can be locked out if you want to go that way. Just depends on what you want and how much you want to put into it. Especially since AEM doesn't seem to be directly supporting the Gen 2 right now. They better hurry. The Gen 3 crate is supposed to be out sometime in 2018, and it's got a whole bunch more changes. They've been in 2018 Mustangs for some months now.

For a neophyte like me, plug and play with the Ford electronics was the way to go. It works, runs great out of the box, they helped me when I needed it, and when I decided to do a custom tune, there were numerous options. But nothing I would ever attempt on my own. Especially not bolt on twin turbos, even though it's the coolest thing ever.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol...yeah I like to color outside the lines... All I know is that wayne was hours from installing it in mine.... and then he saw how "neatly" I had integrated the ECU harness into the rest of the ron francis... so we opted the way we went... everything happens for a reason.... the 2018 motor I saw at PRI is a nice piece.... the motors are certainly getting more complicated.

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    I got several hours in yesterday and several more today. Not rockstar days in progress! The doors are both installed they fit up very well in the end just took some time. Like others the rear bottom of the passenger side door sticks out a little so it will need a little more work with the sander before paint.

I hate how the inside of the hinge area looks so unfinished. I would love to figure out a way to trim that all out.

does anyone have any suggestions?
    Ill post some pictures tomorrow of where I ended up. I will say this thought the doors sure don't open too much. I have never see anyone elses car though. nothing seems wrong just less of an opening than modern cars made for overweight americans!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah send some pictures... I had to massage the upper part of the door hinge to open more ... I still could have gone more to really get it too open... also while you are there make sure you look at the latch pin.... is it long enough to engage the latch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I don't remotely claim to have all the answers. But looks like it's a little more complicated than only incompatible connectors. Cams are different, phasers are different, IMRC added to the Gen 2, just to name three. Phasers and IMRC can be locked out if you want to go that way. Just depends on what you want and how much you want to put into it. Especially since AEM doesn't seem to be directly supporting the Gen 2 right now. They better hurry. The Gen 3 crate is supposed to be out sometime in 2018, and it's got a whole bunch more changes. They've been in 2018 Mustangs for some months now.
    That sums up the changes well. I totally agree they're missing small, incremental learning opportunities that will leave them behind when the Gen 3 engine arrives. Seems silly to me.

@forcefed1 and @Erik W. Treves,
    You can look at my build thread and at the Infinity thread on the other forum where I've been posting what I've found out about using the AEM Infinity on the newer engine. I got all the phasers to actuate but mid lock exhaust cams need to be unlocked right when the engine starts with a set cam angle which makes the idle higher and rougher than the Ford ECU logic (AEM told me they had no plans to change their logic even though I sent them how it could be implemented for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 seamlessly). The 2011-2014 engine harness can be used for everything but the CMCV which AEM doesn't support but I plan to control with one of their output channels and additional wiring.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been several weeks since i posted.
    I have been steadily piddling away.
    Im still waiting on lots of parts from factory five. the rear A armes and steering rack holding me back the most.

I decided to go ahead and set the rest of the body. The rear hatch is installed. and the DOORS.
    next i moved into some custom fabricated items.
    the transmission mount is fabricated and installed.
    Im working on making some rear bins for the hatch area. I wanted one that could store sunglasses registration and little things like that.

here are some photos.

IMG_9516_1067x800.JPGIMG_9517_1067x800.JPGIMG_9518_1067x800.JPGIMG_9519_1067x800.JPG

The doors took some time but they fit up very well. I will need to add 1/8" or so of material to the passenger bottom lip for about 1/3 of the length.
    I also need to add about 1/8" Of material to one 8" long section of the nose where the gap is too large on the driver side.
    Overall the shape fit up very well. lots of little tweaking and shimming. I am impresses with how little body work I will need to make it all fit very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos
    of the rear transmission mount I made

IMG_9520_1067x800.JPGIMG_9521_1067x800.JPG

and some upside down pictures of it installed.
    I was able to use the FFR steel plate but I will need longer carriage bolts and i lowered it a little.

IMG_9643_1067x800.JPGIMG_9644_1067x800.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 01-17-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made these nose ramps to help the nose roll on and off the U bolt latches.
    They are adjustable and work very well to allow the wheels in the nose latch bracket something to roll on and off of.

IMG_9523_1067x800.JPG

Here it is installed. It also works well to tighten the play in the latch mechanism.
    IMG_9642_1067x800.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 01-17-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    then I finished the front brake brackets.
    the brackets allow me to use the factory five spindles and the 2015 ford brakes. I am using the front 4 piston 14" rotors and calipers

IMG_9531_1067x800.JPGIMG_9639_1067x800.JPG

I still have to tap the lower ear hole with a 12 x 1.75 mm tap .
    But you get the idea of how it fits. I also need to replace the lower ball joint boot as I tore it while removing the spindle to cut off the ear.
    I later learned after finishing the design and fitting it up, I didn't need to remove the spindle.
    IMG_9641_1067x800.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 01-17-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The body panel alignment looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for another update.

I FINALLY got my rear IRS armes from FFR
    so the rest of the rear suspension is together and the brakes and clutch are bled.
    Now i have a roller! I was told buy a roadster builder once that a project like this will teach you patience. I had no idea FFR would be the one teaching it to me.
    Im hoping to get the exhaust soon and the steering components.

I crafted some rear storage bins. the larger one is also my battery tray.

IMG_9604_1067x800.JPGIMG_9621_1067x800.JPGIMG_9645_1067x800.JPG

the floor will still be flat i have doors that open to expose the bins.

my corbeau seats arrived. They FIT GREAT! I sat in them for a while. I really like the feel and support.
    I am 6'2" 195# with the pedals adjusted lower and the smaller steering wheel from the GTM, I think it's all going to come together for the interrior.

IMG_9648_1067x800.JPG

Here's the billet brake clutch fluid reservoir. I was going to use the FFR supplied ones but when I called to order a third one, they no longer had a matching one. I plan to powdercoat this billet one. The caps will be body colored and I will laser them.
    I have 2 SST FFR units if anyone wants one so they can have matching ones. PM me.

IMG_9662_1067x800.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have a roller I was able to measure for my wheels. I decided to go with some forgestar F14 deep concave wheels. It took me quite a while to get it all figured out. As soon as I thought I had the diameters and thickness and offsets, I couldn't find many tires.
    Then I went back to the drawing board. In the end I went with 19x12 rear tires. 18x10 front . There are far more 335x35 rear tires in 19 than 18" I wanted a tire that filled the wheel wells and was not a skilly black doughnut. The wheels are on order I should have them in a bout 5 weeks. looks like I'll be mounting toyo R888 tires. I have not run these before.

also now that I have a roller I trial fit the front aero and splitter. THE SPLITTER IS AWSOME! What a cool piece!
    IMG_9661_1067x800.JPG

I also ordered my rear wing. Now I need to weld some mounts on the frame.
    I cant decide if I should paint the mounts and wing.
    Maybe Ill paint the end caps of the wing and the mounts body color. and perhaps leave the wing carbon OR do the stripes only on the wing.

Because I plan to leave the nose installed, I designed an integrated air jack system. I have always thought these are COOL in GT racing. they are a PITA for normal road cars as teh mounting locations are not easy to get to.
    I designed a system to bolt right up to the frame of the Coupe no welding. The aluminum air cylinders I designed will have 12" stroke. The body of the cylinder fits right into the bolt on mounts connecting to the frame. The whole system operates on 400PSI air. With that much pressure I can lift 3400#. that should be plenty. I found a small air tank that can hold enough air to lift the whole car 5 times. The whole jack system weighs about 25# including this tank.
    I plan to mount the tank in the rear fender well behind the tire of the car and charge it from a big tank that will stay in my garage.

IMG_9663_1067x800.JPG

Or I see I can buy an 800PSI air compressor on ebay for 400$

Whatever I do the plan is when at the track and car shows or whatever... I have the onboard air for a few lifts. It'll also make changing tires and brakes real easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forcefed1 View Post
    Time for another update.

I FINALLY got my rear IRS armes from FFR
    so the rest of the rear suspension is together and the brakes and clutch are bled.
    Now i have a roller! I was told buy a roadster builder once that a project like this will teach you patience. I had no idea FFR would be the one teaching it to me.
    Im hoping to get the exhaust soon and the steering components.

I crafted some rear storage bins. the larger one is also my battery tray.

IMG_9604_1067x800.JPGIMG_9621_1067x800.JPGIMG_9645_1067x800.JPG

the floor will still be flat i have doors that open to expose the bins.

my corbeau seats arrived. They FIT GREAT! I sat in them for a while. I really like the feel and support.
    I am 6'2" 195# with the pedals adjusted lower and the smaller steering wheel from the GTM, I think it's all going to come together for the interrior.

IMG_9648_1067x800.JPG

Here's the billet brake clutch fluid reservoir. I was going to use the FFR supplied ones but when I called to order a third one, they no longer had a matching one. I plan to powdercoat this billet one. The caps will be body colored and I will laser them.
    I have 2 SST FFR units if anyone wants one so they can have matching ones. PM me.

IMG_9662_1067x800.JPG
    Your build is looking great. A couple questions I am curious about. What model seats are those and do they recline? Also, how do you plan on attaching the GTM steering wheel? It has a different bolt pattern than the coupe wheel.

Thanks,

JK

Post Thanks / Like
    Last thing I did this weekend was begin the body work. I cleaned all the wax out of the seams with a wax and grease chemical cleaner. then, I grind out most of the body panel joints I used 4.5" angle grinder with a 80 grit sanding disk. Actually I spend quite a few hours on the joints of the nose this weekend. . What a MESS! I got the majority of the nose filled back in with about 4 coats of Rage Gold filler. I spent quite a while with the sanding block. I don't really have much experience with fiberglass but I have a little with metal body cars. I will say this, I used more body filler this weekend than ever before on my cars. However the overall lineup of the FFR joints is pretty good if you asked me. I could have had it much worse from waht I have seen on early model FFR cars.

it's late so I will have to get some photos posted of that whole process some other time.

I am paying someone to do the body work and paint the car for me. the more I can do now the less time it will take him. Unless i make it worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    How on earth did I miss the Jan 17th update after all this time? Oy.
    Nice work on the body panels and the custom parts you're making. Makes me want to go straight to a NC setup on my mill (well, aside from the expense). The hood latch parts are a cool take on getting everything to line up and roll smoothly.

The seat looks good as well. Is there any gap on the sides of the seat? Is it the height you'll mount it, like mounting brackets, tilt, etc? How is the clearance to the roll bar? My head seems so close to the bar at all times

Keep going, I want to see what other touches you add to the build!
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Fab skills+++A

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure is a fun way to spend the winter huh guys!

JKviper. for the steering wheel, I fabricated an adapter to connect to a quick release hub. I will be running a center button. I don"t have it installed here.
    IMG_9695_1067x800.JPGIMG_9696_1067x800.JPGIMG_9697_1067x800.JPG

I have intentions of doing a custom dash and door panels to match the diamond pattern in the seats. the dash will stay simple but put the main larger gauges inset to the front

The seats are reclining. they are corbeau RRS

https://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/sportline-rrs.html

I'm mounting them straight to the floor. There is no need for the reclining. I suppose the recline lets you set your preferred angle.

they sit very low. however I still have my head in the roll bars.

q4stix... i tried the NC route with a knee mill years ago... ran it through MachV and built the whole system myself. Be careful its a slippery slope. In no time you will be looking for better surface finishes and higher spindle speeds more rigidity and a cabinet to hold the mess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I started the body work.
    Here are a few photos of the nose.

Before getting started I snapped a few photos for the DMV paperwork.
    Anyone got any tips for getting this thing registered in VA.
    I figured id start the process now and as teh body work progresses I can finish it and have a plate sooner.
    IMG_9676_1067x800.JPG

IMG_9680_1067x800.JPG
    first my son and I cleaned all the wax out of the seams with a wire brush little picks and wax and grease remover.

Then I ground down the gel coat at the seams. And put the first several coats of rage gold.
    IMG_9682_1067x800.JPG IMG_9686_1067x800.JPG IMG_9692_1067x800.JPG
    IMG_9687_1067x800.JPGIMG_9688_1067x800.JPGIMG_9690_1067x800.JPG
    Last edited by forcefed1; 02-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sure is a fun way to spend the winter huh guys!

JKviper. for the steering wheel, I fabricated an adapter to connect to a quick release hub. I will be running a center button. I don"t have it installed here.
    IMG_9695_1067x800.JPGIMG_9696_1067x800.JPGIMG_9697_1067x800.JPG

I have intentions of doing a custom dash and door panels to match the diamond pattern in the seats. the dash will stay simple but put the main larger gauges inset to the front

The seats are reclining. they are corbeau RRS

https://corbeau.com/reclining-seats/sportline-rrs.html

I'm mounting them straight to the floor. There is no need for the reclining. I suppose the recline lets you set your preferred angle.

they sit very low. however I still have my head in the roll bars.

q4stix... i tried the NC route with a knee mill years ago... ran it through MachV and built the whole system myself. Be careful its a slippery slope. In no time you will be looking for better surface finishes and higher spindle speeds more rigidity and a cabinet to hold the mess.
    Thanks for the response, love the steering wheel fabrication. I may borrow that idea on my Coupe build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very jealous of the seat room in the new gen 3. Would've liked some of those seats, they look great!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    In the last two weeks I focused on getting the body ready for paint.
    I used about 3/4 gallon of Rage Gold. 10 sheet of 80 Grit and 1 sheet of 36 grit. I"m very happy with how straight everything is. This is by far the MOST body work i have ever done. I would say it took me about 60 hours. Several of those hours were spent being very picky about the smoothness and admiring the overall shape i was finishing. This weekend, I cut the hood vents out and prepared the front splitter. I will make my own top vents. I bought some of the aluminum mesh from FFR. I designed the vent holes in CAD. I will laser cut the male and female molds to press the aluminum so it is formed and flush like the side vents.

overall the body lined up pretty well. the worst area by far is the rear window vents area where that all glues together. I had lots of shaping to do there on both sides. The hood had a dip in it at the seam. the doors needed almost an 1/8 filler at the bottom middle so they would line up straight with the rocker covers shape. There is almost NO filler on the front and back of the door but the middle just could not be adjusted to line up. Now the whole thing is show quality type lines and joints.

yesterday I pushed the car out of the garage and hosed IT off. YEAH!! then I wiped down all the pink walls and cabinets vacuumed and washed the floor.

The only body step to finish is the final mounting of the front splitter and the frame cutouts for the rear wing. The splitter has been shaped and trimmed and the inside sanded smooth. I plan to mount it with button head screws. I will glass some plates inside the nose with 1/4 - 20 holes tapped.

I would like to make the aero stuff removable. To protect the paint on the nose I plan to have Xpel clear bra material on both the splitter inside and the Nose.

Heres some photos. Ill take a few outside showing the "ready for slick sand" shots this week.

IMG_9711_1280x960.JPG IMG_9712_1280x960.JPG IMG_9713_1280x960.JPG IMG_9714_1280x960.JPG IMG_9715_1280x960.JPG

IMG_9723_1280x960.JPG IMG_9724_1280x960.JPG IMG_9725_1280x960.JPG IMG_9726_1280x960.JPGIMG_9743_1280x960.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice progress!
    Does the gen 3 hood have an inner liner? Looking at the holes in the top of the hood I see two layers.

Thanks,

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    yes the gen 3 hood has a pretty nice inner liner.
    It also has wheel wells that connect to the hood. The inner liner is glossy fiberglass. It should clean up for paint nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im looking at changing up the factory dash.
    Im 6'2" and the steering wheel is right on the dash for my arms to feel right.

I was looking at moving the gauges into the dash on a cluster maybe like 2-3" total with sort of a brow...

after looking closely at other cars from the same period. I think I would like to mostly leave it close to the way it is. Though I want more room for my hands.

I am thinking of moving the entire dash forward. The whole thing can go closer to the windshield and make the whole car feel bigger say 3" forward. It will require remaking the whole aluminum panel and welding in a new mount.

while I have thought of this dash and interior stuff, I looked over my AC parts... I don't like the dash vents. I designed some new ones that closely match the Forgestar F14 concave wheels i ordered.
    they are eyeball shaped and made from aluminum. I made the center section of the first one.

Post Thanks / Like
    forcefed,

Speaking from a Gen 2 background, there isn't a lot of room behind the gauges once you install ducting for AC. Not sure if that is the same for the Gen 3 or not, just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    A closer look at the dash has me thinking of all sorts of options. Most of which I just don't have the space to pull off or they get complicated pretty fast and the look is not clean... HMMM more research of photos.

meanwhile,
    Here are the center hood vents and dash AC vents I made.

I used a laser to cut out the hood vent plywood patterns. I left a .1" offset to allow the expanded metal room. I bought the same metal FFR supplies for the side vent.

For the air vents, I made a model of my wheels and then shrank it down. They are a concave Forgestar F14 wheel. I cut out the sphere and concave part on the lathe. Next i used a Wire EDM to remove all the center material.

29614.jpg IMG_9757_1280x960.JPG IMG_9758_1280x960.JPG IMG_9761_1280x960.JPG IMG_9763_1280x960.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed,

I used the same method for my banana vents in the back. Works well!
    Love those air vents, that's slick!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for another update.

IMG_9662_1067x800.JPG
    Force fed -I must know where I can get those fluid reservoirs! Please post info!

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    Force fed -I must know where I can get those fluid reservoirs! Please post info!

Thx
    I was designing one similar to this that I was going to manufacture. Then I found this one at scottshotrods.com!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was designing one similar to this that I was going to manufacture. Then I found this one at scottshotrods.com!
    Thank you sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    A closer look at the dash has me thinking of all sorts of options. Most of which I just don't have the space to pull off or they get complicated pretty fast and the look is not clean... HMMM more research of photos.

meanwhile,
    Here are the center hood vents and dash AC vents I made.

I used a laser to cut out the hood vent plywood patterns. I left a .1" offset to allow the expanded metal room. I bought the same metal FFR supplies for the side vent.

For the air vents, I made a model of my wheels and then shrank it down. They are a concave Forgestar F14 wheel. I cut out the sphere and concave part on the lathe. Next i used a Wire EDM to remove all the center material.

29614.jpg IMG_9757_1280x960.JPG IMG_9758_1280x960.JPG IMG_9761_1280x960.JPG IMG_9763_1280x960.JPG
    Just note once you get the hoses back there there isn't much restate. my .02
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Just note once you get the hoses back there there isn't much restate. my .02
    did you mean "room" i dont understand "restate"

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought i would post another quick update.

Big news is My painter called... he can spray the first coat of primer Tuesday!!!! so pulling the body off and getting it over to him. He will be spraying then we will block sand it together. then likely spray it again and block it out again. THEN PAINT.
    should all happen pretty quickly since I will be taking some time off from work to help.
    Most of MY attention is now focused on the interior. I am making a completely custom dash. The inspiration has come from a early 60'S Jaguar Etype.
    there are several restored ones that I like.
    other inspiration came from forum members here.
    jag-e-type-int.jpg images.jpg

I have build a cardboard template it all worked in cardboard. Now i'm designing the real deal in CAD so i can laser cut the panels.

I am still waiting on my wheels to arrive. they were ordered in Jan... should only be another week or 2. once they come I can finally drive the car around. the wheels I am rolling it around on in teh photos do not clear my brake rotors. To date I have run the car with my foot on the brake on the lift!!! its a start! Im not in a hurry to GO-cart the car. more to keep it all moving.

I also THINK i have decided on a COLOR combination!!!! For this month at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things continue to move along.
    Body has been covered in slick sand and blocked out to 180. My body guy has been letting me help him at his shop which keeps it pretty fun. He feels way more detail than my hands can. He has been teaching me along the way. while blocking to 180 we exposed several spots that were not shaped correctly. Those spots are all fixed. The second coat of slick sand is on. This week we will focus on blocking the entire body down to 400 grit before sealer.

Back in my shop. I have been focusing on the design of the dash. this has proven to be a time consuming but fun part of the project. I first made several templates in cardboard. Then I made 3D models in CAD. once I liked what I had I laser cut some 1/4" thick plywood sheet to try the whole thing out. Im not quite there but i am very close. the lower vents need some tweaking to make room for air hoses on the back side.

I also finished the design of the air vents. Nick was able to make me a prototype on the lathe before leaving for the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    heres some photos

IMG_9783_1280x960.JPG

IMG_9784_1280x960.JPG

I choose to tilt the dash more than FFR so i cut out their bar and welded my own in. my bar is at the same height but about 4" forward. this gives me more room do put the steering wheel back away from me.
    IMG_9833_1280x960.JPG

IMG_9834_1280x960.JPG

I choose to add an oil temperature gauge to the existing FFR set.

There will be a total of 4 AC vents which each replicate my wheels. the three gauges by the steering wheel are set back 1.3 inches. they work out very well so I can see right through the steering wheel at them.

IMG_9835_1280x960.JPG

IMG_9837_1280x960.JPG

for the top of the dash I plan to make an overhang a bit.

I still need to finish the design of my billet switches and make those. then I will install them into the dash.

the final dash will be wrapped in leather like padding. im going to make the inset part of the dash from billet. But the floor of it may be some other material. not sure on that yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast