Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Texas custom tag renewal

Post Thanks / Like

Texas custom tag renewal

The time has come to renew the tags on my Roadster for the first time. I've been wondering how hard it was going to be. I registered the car as a replica of a 1965 Cobra under the assembled vehicle manual rules for a custom vehicle. Supposedly no annual inspection is required. The DMV website has a section to renew online so I thought I'd see what happens. I entered my license plate number and poof, it found my car, including insurance. Next I entered all my personal info and a credit card number. One week later a sticker shows up in the mail. Wow! That was so easy. I sure wish all the other vehicles were like that.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed. Will be in this situation sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Subscribed. Will be in this situation sooner or later.
    Hope it's "sooner". Just make a copy of the manual and follow it to the letter. Then you will have to explain to the DMV folks how to register it. Once I showed them the manual and that I had all the paperwork it was easy.

Bob
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice... I'm about 1-2 months away from starting the pre-paint road-legal process. Glad to see it can be a smooth process.
    Last edited by skidd; 11-06-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here.
    I am just starting my MK III Coyote build.
    Thanks for the info.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you guys have seen this or if it could end up impacting FFR type "kit cars" but I just read Texas might be making it tough for you guys. I sure hope not.

https://jalopnik.com/texas-is-revoki...ars-1820177474

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuftster View Post
    Not sure if you guys have seen this or if it could end up impacting FFR type "kit cars" but I just read Texas might be making it tough for you guys. I sure hope not.

https://jalopnik.com/texas-is-revoki...ars-1820177474
    This is just fear-mongering (certainly on the part of the writer of the article, if not the new forum member). If you read the actual Rule or the letter from the Texas DMV, the phrase "kit car" does not appear anywhere. The writer has added this via his own interpretation, which is really nothing more than "fake news". Texas has a robust and well documented process for Replicas (the Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Act) and there have been numerous successful registrants via this process. Most recently the OP has stated that he just had his registration renewed with no problems. I myself have renewed my Custom Vehicle plates 3 times with zero hassle, most recently in July. I highly doubt this would have occurred if Texas was going to revoke legitimate Replica titles.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Hope it's "sooner". Just make a copy of the manual and follow it to the letter. Then you will have to explain to the DMV folks how to register it. Once I showed them the manual and that I had all the paperwork it was easy.

Bob
    Thanks. Texas is solid in registering a kit from the research I have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    This is just fear-mongering (certainly on the part of the writer of the article, if not the new forum member).
    No intentional misinformation or fear-mongering on my part, sorry if that's how it was taken, just passing on something I thought may be of interest to others. Glad to hear this should be of no concern.

Side note, I am new on this forum but have been part of the "other" forum since 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the assembled vehicle manual there is whole section dealing with VW based kit cars. Our cars are classified as a new manufactured replica with an MCO, so it's really a whole different deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuftster View Post
    Side note, I am new on this forum but have been part of the "other" forum since 2003.
    Tuftster, my apologies. Yes I did take you to be the "annoying newbie" because I saw your similar post on ffcars; I noticed your low post count but not the join date. I also just saw the arrival of the gen3 coupe - congratulations on taking the plunge after all these years!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    Tuftster, my apologies. Yes I did take you to be the "annoying newbie" because I saw your similar post on ffcars; I noticed your low post count but not the join date. I also just saw the arrival of the gen3 coupe - congratulations on taking the plunge after all these years!
    No apologies needed and thanks, still can't believe it finally happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found this place to complete the VTR-852 ASE inspection. $102.00 and Billy with CMC Auto Care http://www.cmcauto.net/ is cool with the manual drivers side Speedway wiper arm only. He performs these all the time and is up on his 1-8 certifications. If anyone needs to borrow it after next Tuesday PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not surprised... The online system didn't work for my renewal... Said to go in person. Which is where I am right now, and the people here have no idea what to do with my registration either. Doh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Does Texas impose a mileage limit on any kit car? I haven't been able to find anything on that.

I ask cuz Virginia imposes a 5 thousand mile per year limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    nope. No limits.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

17. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No mileage limit and have easily renewed my registration three times on line.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

19. Thanks Aircontroller thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the drama continues!!
    For what ever reason.. I'm unable to re-registrer with the online system. In Short.. because I have no yearly state inspection done, despite being inspection exempt.. the online system can't process my renewal.

Last month I had gone into the tax office for renewal. They spent a good amount of time on the phone with various people. In the end, they told me that the department that issued my plate, had it left on hold for some reason. That department had said they would investigate, and get back to me. So.. left without a renewal.
    No surprise, nobody called me.

Fastforward to now.. the online system still doesn't work for me.
    I just got off the phone now with the tax office. The lady said "The system says you need a state inspection".
    :facepalm:
    Of course it does I think to myself.
    I told her it's an "Assembled Vehicle" and it's inspection exempt.
    She tried it again, and voila!! It worked for her. Balance due, $80(ish). Which, I can't pay over the phone of course. I have to do this in person.

I try the online again.. for giggles. Nada.
    I give the online help line a ring. The lady said that her system expect a yearly state inspection.. and that is the issue.

Who want's to bet good $$ that when I go into the office, I'll be leaving WITHOUT a renewal?
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer. My guess is that it didn’t get properly registered by DMV. My registration certificate says: REPLICA: [1965 COBR] at the bottom under VEHICLE RECORD NOTIFICATIONS. After YR/MAKE it says 2002/ASVE, MODEL: SHE. 2002 in the year of my original registration. My title also has the REPLICA: [1965 COBR] note on it.
    Phil: FFR 3121, Frame #2050, Mk 1.5, built 2002, 1991 donor with Blueprint 302 long block and 1993 Cobra intake, BBK 70mm T/B, no smog, power steering, T-5 and 3.55 rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was what originally happened.. but. was supposed to have been fixed.
    When I first titled & registered it, the lady sure seemed like she knew what was going on. I had all the right paper work, and a copy of the "Assembled Vehicle" txdot booklet.
    But, they ended up registering my car as a normal passenger vehicle. I think this is also the reason she was adamant about me having to pay Tax on the vehicle. Which , I'm now quite sure I shouldn't have. $2k to the TaxCrooks. anyway.. I then got a letter a couple of months later from txdot telling me the title was wrong, and needed to be altered to an 'assembled vehicle'.
    So.. I mailed them my title and plates. Less than a month later, I had my now CORRECT title and these new "Custom Vehicle" plates.
    It all looked good!! The title now shows ASVE under teh make, and Replica in the remarks.
    It all looked good that is... Until last month of course.

One thing that just occurred to me though. I asked the person when I called into the Online System help line if there was a way to re-reg over the phone. She said, they don't actually process anything, only send it through to the correct TaxOffice system backend. I'm thinking that the Backend-System for the TaxOffice here for Bexar county simply isn't setup to handle doing ReReg of Assembled Vehicles .
    It seems it's going to be a yearly pilgrimage for me. Where as other TX counties clearly are correctly setup to handle it online. Guess I'll know soon enough next week when I try... again!!

Fingers Crossed!

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to speak to a supervisor at the DMV. A box isn't checked, or one IS checked that shouldn't be. I ran into this when I moved from CA to NV with my wife's 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid. The box that identifies the vehicle as a Hybrid wasn't checked, and NOBODY at the NV DMV pays any attention to the VIN. Once I got a supervisor to pay attention to the VIN, which clearly shows the vehicle as a Hybrid, she got on the DMV computer system, checked the box, and smiled as she told me that I was now EXEMPT from regular annual inspections for 5 years (which is the law governing Hybrids in NV). A bit of a pain, but a regular counter agent can't do any of this; it takes a supervisor to change a registration record. And a smile.

Video
    In planning stage since 2004. Damn, that's a long time. A LONG, LONG time . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    I titled mine a few months ago and the process has changed from when I registered my previous two Cobras, spanning a few years ago.
    I had to title mine under the "Custom Vehicle" route, have it weighed on official scales and have a ASE Master Technician certify the car. If I remember correctly, I do believe that I am exempt from annual safety inspections.
    Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this something I have to look forward to in the future. The only problem I had with getting mine registered is that after they issued my title with a comment field of "Replica: 1965 FORD" they sent me a letter telling me my title was revoked and that I needed to send it back, along with some more paperwork I submitted the first time, and get a new title that said "Replica: 1965 SHEL". As if either of those comments makes a difference, but whatever. At least they got my new title to me fairly quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely ZERO fuss this time getting renewal. Walked up to the counter, asked for a rewnal.. she said $78 please. Boom!!
    I asked her if she knew why the online system wouldn't work for me? no idea she said, let me ask my Supervisor.
    He insists it's because it's a "custom vehicle" plate. But.. I don't know he really knows that for sure.
    Worse case.. I have to go into the tax office every year. I can live with that.. I guess. Kinda annoying.. but.. oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    At long last.. a normal renewal !!
    Got the reminder letter in the mail.. tried the online renewal... Voila!!!
    It just worked as it was supposed to work. No need for inspection or anything of the sort.
    I mean.. it only took 3 tries to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I renewed in October in Texas. I never received a mail notice for renewal and I wasn't able to renew online. I had to go to the office and do it in person. Took longer than it should have, with the lady helping me having to call someone about it on the phone, but ultimately she handed me the renewal and I walked out without any issues.
    MKIV Complete Kit: 3-link, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars, 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, Gas-N side pipes and headers; Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes; Paint: Jeff Miller Ford Magnetic Grey Metallic with BMW Titan Silver stripes
    Ordered: 4/5/16, Order completion: 5/14/16, Delivered: 5/24/16, First start: 6/22/19, Registered and legal: 10/28/19