BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle Linkage

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle Linkage

Installed the throttle cable yesterday on my Roadster. Less than impressed with the response with the cable. Looking at the mechanical linkage option. Would you please tell me your experience with this mod? Do you like it, was it worth the bother, was there much improvement in throttle response and sensitivity, how hard was the install, etc?
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russ Thompson throttle pedal!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using a Forte mechanical throttle with a Russ Thompson pedal controlling an FiTech. I've run my engine about 3 times, but the throttle response is amazing. And very controllable in very small amounts.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    X2 on Forte mechanical throttle. Just installed it last week. What a difference it makes. Smooth and instant response.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanical ... buy Forte’s unit.
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Never installed a cable, but also have stacked injection. Once squared away, excellent throttle control. Used plans from on this forum and the other, not Forte's unit, but seeing Forte's, should work great. Measure 50 times, make holes once! If you are building the rest of the car, really not that hard to install. Assuming the body's off!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I thought. Glad you all agree, looks like mechanical is the way to go. Thanks again for the advice.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Little confused, are you sure it's the cable?
    MANY have installed it without issue.
    If you want the mechanical, I understand completely and think it's a great piece, but the cable can be made to work well too.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe 4-5 yrs ago before Mike had his for sale I did one using a parts list from a forum. My first drive the car was almost uncontrollable. I had the same return springs as w/ the cable but the effort was so low I went around ONE block in my neighborhood and came back to install another spring. Mech linkage is so much better it is almost unbelievable.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    MP, just to clarify, I have not ran the engine yet, I will give the cable a chance before I change it out. I would rather not spend the extra time and money if I don't have to. I have adjusted the cable as tight as I can get it, taking up all the slack, without moving the throttle. There are no kinks in the cable and it is not binding. The throttle is closing just fine. But when I sit in the seat and simulate using the gas pedal while watching the response of the throttle, it does not look to be very smooth or precise. I can see a lag between what my foot does and what the throttle does, and when trying to adjust it very smoothly, the throttle does not appear to be moving as smoothly as I am working the pedal. Although I have ran the cable as straight as possible it still has to make a big S turn from the firewall to the linkage, that cannot be a very efficient path but there is no other way to get from point to point. All in all I am not very happy with what I am seeing but I will try it on a live car here soon and have a final answer then. Thank you for the comment and vote of confidence for the cable. I am glad some are happy with it and I do hope that it works out for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago edwardb posted the parts he used for his mech throttle in his build thread for his second build. Thanks to him I have all of the parts for installation when the time comes.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    If you do a mechanical throttle, drop the firewall mounts as low as you can against the 2x2. Even cut the washers used on the dash side of the firewall to get them as low as possible. The arms inside the footwell needs the height to rotate properly. Ask me how I know, as I figure out how to plug firewall holes...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    A few years ago edwardb posted the parts he used for his mech throttle in his build thread for his second build. Thanks to him I have all of the parts for installation when the time comes. JR
    Thanks for the shout out. Here's the post in my build thread where I listed the parts and showed the installation. This was before Mike Forte's was available. His looks OK but this works too. There are multiple ways to install these. Some used different angles and/or directions on the arms than I did. But I can say what's pictured now has thousands of miles (by me plus the new #7750 owner) and works smoothly and perfectly. Whatever way you go, I recommend a linkage over the cable. Also highly recommend to decide while building. Wouldn't be fun to install in a completed build. Plus FWIW it's more authentic to the originals.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post137426
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-13-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BB767 View Post
    Although I have ran the cable as straight as possible it still has to make a big S turn from the firewall to the linkage, that cannot be a very efficient path.............
    If it helps, I'm running mine on a GT40-style EFI intake, with the linkage on the PS. I fabricated a bracket to run the cable out the front, so my tight "S" curve turned into a easy "C" curve. I've seen others turn the carb around in a similar fashion. (for the record, I prefer the mechanical too, and if I was building mine now, I'd also go with the linkage.)
    Didn't catch it, did you say you have a Russ Thompson pedal already? Better adjustment and response. They are great, regardless which throttle mechanism you use.

Good Luck
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is a good choice for a throttle cable bracket?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for Forte's throttle linkage and russ thompson pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    What is a good choice for a throttle cable bracket?
    I used AED works great. Scott

Linkage 002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Thanks for the shout out. Here's the post in my build thread where I listed the parts and showed the installation. This was before Mike Forte's was available. His looks OK but this works too. There are multiple ways to install these. Some used different angles and/or directions on the arms than I did. But I can say what's pictured now has thousands of miles (by me plus the new #7750 owner) and works smoothly and perfectly. Whatever way you go, I recommend a linkage over the cable. Also highly recommend to decide while building. Wouldn't be fun to install in a completed build. Plus FWIW it's more authentic to the originals.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post137426
    I followed Edwarb's parts list verbatim, and with a couple of small changes, his installation too. (Thanks Paul) Only have a few miles on it, but works flawlessly, and looks very clean and efficient too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Fortes kit with the Russ Thompson gas pedal and it works great. I polished and clear coated all the parts and love the look and instant response of the solid linkage.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you choose to go with a cable, use the Russ Thompson pedal. Many builders found a significant difference, after switching to it.
    I wasn't the cable that was the real issue, it was the pedal set up. It was not known for being smooth.
    You have to use some care in routing the cable, mainly keeping it away from any major heat. I wrapped mine in DEI heat tape, for extra protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I attended the build school they showed how the ffr pedal can bind at full throttle so needless to say I have the Russ Thompson pedal to install.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode View Post
    I used AED works great. Scott

Linkage 002.jpg
    I have the same one. Works good, looks good. Well, my springs are going rusty....

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know how the efi hooks up, but for my Holley, I just turned the carb around backwards on the manifold, and ran the stock cable around the front of the carb. Works great, is cheap, and takes the extreme "S" curve out of the cable.

Sometime simple if the best route to take.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    What "style" cable is the FFR supplied, Ford, Universal, etc.? And does anyone know if a Quick Fuel carb is comparable to a Holley 4150/4160 style?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Forte mechanical throttle linkage all the way. I originally tried the FFR pedal but somehow it kept binding the throttle wide open. Not good. The Russ Thompson pedal solved all that. I did gave to purchase 2 shaft collars that didn't come with the linkage from Forte's. Made install a breeze. Very good response.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made mine from McMaster parts list that I found on the other forum. It was easy to do and install. I have a sturdy firewall forward, so that helped with the rigid mounting needed. I've had to move wire looms away from the linkage, but otherwise, no problems yet.

Happy with the look and it works great. I didn't try the cable before doing this. I've always liked the look of the linkage

Mechanical Linkage photos

20170923_220513 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Fortes mechanical throttle and the FFR pedal and with 5k miles I am very happy with the results

I did add a bracket to limit the throttle travel and make sure when you push the pedal to the floor the throttle body is not what limits the travel

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 11-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    I did add a bracket to limit the throttle travel and make sure when you push the pedal to the floor the throttle body is not what limits the travel

Rick
    I did too. Mine is under the throttle pedal.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread