FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sbhunter’s coyote build

Post Thanks / Like

First car show

I took the roadster to its first car show last weekend. There is an annual show in the small town that is near my house that usually has 30 or so cars there and is a fund raiser for the volunteer fire department. I thought it would be fun to take my car in go cart stage just to see the reaction and let people see a car under construction. It was a beautiful day. There ended up being almost 60 vehicles there and a good crowd. I fielded many questions about what it was and was going to be.

This pic was taken right after I got there. It filled in shortly after. Yes, that is a farmall tractor. The car next to me is a full custom build on air ride with a 38 dodge steel cab with Oklahoma patina. It is sporting a custom LS3 making 650hp naturally!
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like

First Drive!!!

As you may have surmised from previous posts, it is officially a driver in the go cart stage. I have not taken a decent video with a camera in the car but have a few short clips of trial runs in front of the house on my youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDw9s_-i48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEhUKIEOmZE
    Last edited by sbhunter; 07-01-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    I used one of the brake resevoirs from the kit to make my fuel tank vent. It was also a test piece for my powdercoat setup. I think it turned out really nice for something that no one will see again once the body is on.

<snip>
    OMG, I love this. Gets rid of the PVC. I just removed 3 of these from my car that I hate to toss, but didnt know what to do with. And it doesn't matter if they leak. Any issues with me borrowing your idea? If not, I'm headed to the garage...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Cart shows are fun! I've taken mine out twice now and its a great conversation piece.

Your Go Cart runs sound great. Love her smile when ya come back in.

Congratulations!!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    OMG, I love this. Gets rid of the PVC. I just removed 3 of these from my car that I hate to toss, but didnt know what to do with. And it doesn't matter if they leak. Any issues with me borrowing your idea? If not, I'm headed to the garage...
    Don't worry, I'm... borrowing... this idea as well ��

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_1629.jpgIMG_1612.JPG

Steve,
    I was catching up on your build thread and was enjoying the read about 1st start. Thank god you didn't need one of these bad boys. I was checking this surplus unit out at work the other day and thought, I didn't have as nice toys when I was a fireman years ago.
    Good luck with the rest of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAIII View Post
    Don't worry, I'm... borrowing... this idea as well ��
    Yep, I have a extra air/oil separator in the pile that is being repurposed as well. Good ideas get copied fast.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    That fire “truck” is really cool! It looks like a cross between an airport response unit and a forestry truck. I have never seen one like it. I have 2 sons in engineering at different colleges. They are both involved in various scca or go cart builds through their schools. They are drooling over my unused parts pile. As soon as I’m sure I don’t need a lot of this stuff, they will be fighting over who gets to take it to school with them this fall. I enjoy repurposing things like the reservoirs.
    Last edited by sbhunter; 07-04-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am enjoying your build. Saw the comments on the air oil separator. I have a few drives on my car allowing my car to get up to temperature and with just a few miles it's already pulled out a few cc's of oil. They are worth the cost for oil control alone. I am using a steeda brand Separator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    As you may have surmised from previous posts, it is officially a driver in the go cart stage. I have not taken a decent video with a camera in the car but have a few short clips of trial runs in front of the house on my youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDw9s_-i48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEhUKIEOmZE
    Scott

I was looking at your first youtube there where you pan around the engine bay, hoping to see how you plumbed up the CMCV valves. Couple of questions for you:

1. You didn't need to put a 1/2 barb into the 90deg intake tube ?
    2. I can see the DS has a 1/2" heater tube going from the valve cover to the rear of the engine. Did you select the "relaxed emissions option" ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    it took me awhile to figure out that the 17 version of the coyote was different from many of the directions posted. You need to hook the plastic line coming out from under the passenger front of the intake to a vacuum source. I hooked mine up to a port behind the butterfly. That’s it. No other connections needed. I am running the relaxed emissions setup. The intake will eventually be replaced with a cold air setup. There are some great threads in the roadster section related to your questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you didn’t see my post in the roadster section, I wrecked my car in the go cart stage. I didn’t get hurt but it could have been much worse. I broke it loose in second gear and it came around on me faster than I could catch it. I went through a woven wire fence backwards. The top strand of barbed wire went up over the roll bars and jumped my head. If I’d gone through forward it would have decapitated me. I’ve been so disgusted with myself that I haven’t touched it since. I’m starting to collect the parts to get going again. I damaged both side pipes, destroyed the left header, and bent some of the aluminum panels. Harvest is wrapping up and I’m getting back to working on the roadster. I will take pics of the damage tomorrow and get them posted for the curious.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...recked-go-cart

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of the damage

For your viewing pleasure and my continued humility, I am posting pics of the end result of being stupid.

Passenger rear aluminum

Roll bar showing scratches from barb wire strand going up and over car. I am going to leave this and clear coat it as a reminder to myself to not be stupid.

When the dust settled the outlet of this pipe was under the right side pipe. It pretzled the hanger and destroyed the rubber biscuit.

Unfortunately, it also ruined the left header. This proved to be, by far, the most expensive part because they are only sold in pairs.

Drivers foot box panels. I believe that I can straighten these well enough to seal to the other panels on final assembly.

Other than the header and side pipe, the damage wasn't that expensive, just humiliating. The frame and suspension show no damage that I can see. I will send it through the ride height and alignment process again to make sure. Remember, "don't be a me"
    Last edited by sbhunter; 10-24-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

new headers

I purchased a new set of headers and had them ceramic coated. After staring at them for a couple weeks and thinking about the amount of heat in and around the foot boxes, I decided to try wrapping this set. I studied my favorite expert, Youtube, and ordered DEI Titanium wrap. It is easier to work with and should last longer then fiberglass. These are before and after pictures. I intend to coat them with silicone sealer as DEI suggests. I am kind of disappointed that DEI's sealer only comes in black. I like the way these look right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Project tarped for now

Haven’t been on the forum since November. Boy are you all prolific! I got voted in as Chief of the volunteer fire department that I have been on for 21 years last November. Unfortunately the sheer amount of things that need my immediate attention has been completely overwhelming. Combining this with 2 full time jobs has been a real challenge. I have tarped my build for now. Hopefully by next fall I will have caught up enough to get back to it. In the mean time, please be careful out there, enjoy your builds, and stay safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Chief.

I had to resign after 10 years on a volunteer fire department. Built a house on a lake and the response time jumped to 15 minutes. No regrets what so ever. Many mostly good memories.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a breather, its not that bad. I look back on past projects I sold and it literally hurts. I am driving my car now in red gelcoat but its so fun and turns so many heads. Its an experience and I dont want to keep moving from poject to project anymore. I want to keep improving this one. Take the time to work and crush that new job. Once things get boring and/or you have time, come back to the cobra. She will be waiting for you.

Good luck Chief.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott!
    Was just thinking of you a few days ago and wondered how things were going. Good to see you posting again and stay in touch!

Jeff

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234