FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Tapatalk?

Post Thanks / Like

Tapatalk?

Is there a way we could get this forum on tapatalk?

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll look into it. Just checked out their website and it's like Stitcher (internet radio app), but for web forums.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mobile forum app alternatives...

There are a few alternatives when looking at a mobile app to run on this forum. Basically it comes down to who pays for the app; the users, or the forum.

The Tapatalk app is free to set up for the forum, but there is a cost to each user. How much is determined by the Phone OS.

The software company that makes this forum has just recently release a mobile version. The licensing is free to the users, but the forum pays for licensing.

I know that there was some push back from the users on another forum when a mobile app was installed that users had to pay for. I'm inclined to install an app that is free to the users, and cover the cost with the advertisers that we now have.

I don't know if there would be compatability issues if we ran both at the same time. Again, I'm thinking that, for the sake of simplicity, maintenance and potential compatability issues, I'd rather run one or the other.

I'll continue to do more research into both products and report back feedback from other folks running both products.

I will say that the above are MY opinions and certainly aren't written in stone, so we welcome your input as well. If you have experience with Tapatalk, let's hear about it. What features do you like, and what others not so much?

This is a good topic, and I'm glad you brought it up!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Tapatalk is cheap. I think it was $2.99 when I got it.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already got Tapatalk and like it.

However, I agree with your wish to keep it simple for the users. Also, I would read functionality reviews on all products being considered to make sure you don't choose a substandard package. For some reason, you will feel the heat from users if it doesn't work right - not the app publisher. Strange world, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Never trust a first post that points you to another site. Smells like troll.

7. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgood View Post
    Never trust a first post that points you to another site. Smells like troll.
    Bingo.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't be so fast on the one post thing guys, at least in this particular case...

I use tapatalk on my droid for a couple of forums and it's a decent app. I didn't
    realize that the forum had to pay a fee to use it though.
    FFR4784CP - The first coupe with a "Falk'n Bubble"
    http://www.replicapromotions.com

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ted, the forum doesn't have to pay for Tapatalk, the users do, although I believe once you have the app you can hit any forum that has tapatalk installed.

What do you guys think of this? This would be free to the forum users:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a sweet app to me.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm never that far away from a computer that I have to surf the net and answer forums from my phone. It's not the easiest thing on any phone, let alone a Crackberry. Frankly I don't see all the bruhah about having the ability to do everything but wipe your butt with phones these days. Maybe I'm a cranky old guy (at 42), but sometimes I long for the days when you had to use a payphone. It's like Netflix and all the other pay services people think they HAVE to have. Add up how much you pay for cell service, DVD movie plan, your 300 plus TV channels, etc. and you'll find out where all your extra money has been going...

I guess what I'm trying to say is pick whatever you want, I won't be using it. I've got exactly two apps on my phone: Google maps, and one of those QR code readers (which sucks).

/Rant off

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we resurrect this topic? The landscape, pricing and options have changed quite a bit since 2011 and personally the availability of Tapatalk support pushes me toward the “other” forum as most of the forums I am active on support it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'm not "current" with all the social media tools out there, but I'm accessing this forum using my phone all the time with no issues. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I guess I'm not "current" with all the social media tools out there, but I'm accessing this forum using my phone all the time with no issues. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Dave
    I agree with Dave. I can do everything on my phone (without Tapatalk) that I can do on my laptop.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto. My iPhone works fine with the forum.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve used nothing but my iphone since I’ve signed up, and lurking before that....

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I should clarify the appeal of Tapatalk (and admitted drawback).

1. Tapatalk is free for both the board and the user. It is a plug-in that gets installed on the board and then there is a client side app.
    2. Tapatalk allows many forums to be combined into a single feed. I.e. All topics/threads that are followed and all PMs across many sites show up under a single list. In my case, I follow 22 different forums and am usually active on several at a time depending on my current interests, projects, etc.
    3. The Tapatalk interface is optimized for a small mobile device, making browsing, reading and replying easy
    4. Non-tapatalk forums require users to access them one at a time. In my case, this extra step simply means I don't visit these very often.
    5. The biggest drawback to Tapatalk is ads (I think). The reason it is all free is so they can provide their own ads to the users. I don't fully know how this works and it may be in conflict with how ads normally work on most forums.

In short, yes, you can easily access this forum directly from a mobile device. It is just not convenient compared to those accessible via Tapatalk. I may very well be alone in this request, but considering I see this topic/request on nearly any forum I browse, I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdave View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify the appeal of Tapatalk (and admitted drawback).

1. Tapatalk is free for both the board and the user. It is a plug-in that gets installed on the board and then there is a client side app.
    2. Tapatalk allows many forums to be combined into a single feed. I.e. All topics/threads that are followed and all PMs across many sites show up under a single list. In my case, I follow 22 different forums and am usually active on several at a time depending on my current interests, projects, etc.
    3. The Tapatalk interface is optimized for a small mobile device, making browsing, reading and replying easy
    4. Non-tapatalk forums require users to access them one at a time. In my case, this extra step simply means I don't visit these very often.
    5. The biggest drawback to Tapatalk is ads (I think). The reason it is all free is so they can provide their own ads to the users. I don't fully know how this works and it may be in conflict with how ads normally work on most forums.

In short, yes, you can easily access this forum directly from a mobile device. It is just not convenient compared to those accessible via Tapatalk. I may very well be alone in this request, but considering I see this topic/request on nearly any forum I browse, I doubt it.
    Is this still unresolved? I agree, Tapatalk is great and I would to use it for this

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it looks like there has been no change on this front. It's a shame as this access still makes the "other" forum more accessible, it just doesn't seem to have the volume of activity that is present here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran into another drawback without Tapatalk....the ease of posting photos. I have started using the mobile vBulletin interface on my iPhone and did not see any obvious way to tap into photos or my album, whereas Tapatalk gives a number of photo options direct from a phone. I ended up downloading, resizing, uploading then attaching (further resize). This whole process is done automatically within Tapatalk. This integration may encourage more photos just from ease of use!