Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Timing Belts

Post Thanks / Like

Timing Belts

Well, this timing belt is a little odd. It has the right number of teeth between marks, but the marks don't line up properly with the gears. They're all off by a half tooth.

Also, this is the first engine I've worked on that the timing marks don't come back around to the marks on the belt. I think I spun it 20 times and the closest it got back around was within a tooth. The gears all lined up with each other like they were supposed to, though. The right exhaust gear was maybe a half tooth off.

I did all this twice, with the same result.

20171112_124847.jpg 20171112_124805.jpg 20171112_124857.jpg

Seems to me the gears lining back up is all that matters, but is this normal?
    Last edited by turbomacncheese; 11-12-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it's normal for the timing marks to not line up once you start turning the engine. They only need to line up at the time you install the belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I thought it was weird, but I guess not.

Post Thanks / Like
    The subaru engines are a special type engine, due to the head configuration, decking the block ,head gasket thickness and resurfacing the heads. Read below for the issue, has any body used these idlers?

http://www.licmotorsports.com/blog/2...-timing-idlers

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that brings back memories of the dodge motor I used to build. Didn't occur to me because the left side seemed spot on, but now that I think about it, I could have been slightly off on the crank gear because my oil pump doesn't have the mark.

I'm still convinced it's more than adequate for what I'm building, but if I were building a race engine (and spending the money that goes along with one) I'd probably pony up a few hundred more and get adjustable gears.

Thanks for reminding me what happens when you deck a block and mill a head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    The subaru engines are a special type engine, due to the head configuration, decking the block ,head gasket thickness and resurfacing the heads. Read below for the issue, has any body used these idlers?

http://www.licmotorsports.com/blog/2...-timing-idlers
    Great part! Make sure you get them dead nuts and tight.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85