BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedhut Dash Light Mystery

Post Thanks / Like

Speedhut Dash Light Mystery

Just down to soundproofing/carpeting and I noticed my custom made Speedhut Dash lights do not illuminate anymore. Lots of threads on wiring these gauges to the Ron Francis (RF) wiring and I’ve spent the last two days under my dash checking and even reconnecting junctions to ensure they are solid. I have the Speedhut’s supplied dimmer/inverter and when I turn on my lights - my red needle on all of my gauges lights up and I realize that the FFR light switch I’m using only turns the needle lights on. When I turn the Speedhut potentiometer/dimmer - nothing. Every other function of all my gauges works properly. Dash light fuse is fine.

I have both the RF white dash lights (two with this RF kit; one to speedo/tach & other to the rest of the gauges) connected (guess I could have only used one) and they are spliced into the white Speedhut daisy chained wire and the white dimmer/inverter wire. The gauges and dimmer are grounded and the dimmer is plugged in to the Speedhut chain at the speedometer.

Multimeter at the potentiometer is showing close to 12 volts entirely through its turning sweep. The only thing that this non-electrician thinks is maybe the inverter module or potentiometer assembly?

Plan on calling Speedhut tommorow, but any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 01-07-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Silly question, but is the dimmer all the way off on the headlight switch?
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR headlight switch dimmer/knob only turns the needle illumination on or off when using the Speedhut gauges. The Speedhut augmented dimmer adjusts the gauge brightness; but, yes - checked that multiple times...

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    The FFR headlight switch dimmer/knob only turns the needle illumination on or off when using the Speedhut gauges. The Speedhut augmented dimmer adjusts the gauge brightness; but, yes - checked that multiple times...

Chris
    Actually, when twisting the headlight switch dimmer knob, both needles and backlighting will switch off together when the supplied voltage drops below a certain threshold. Neither dim via the headlight knob, just switch on and off. Both the needles and backlights should be supplied by the same gauge light circuit from the RF harness through the headlight switch.

The Speedhut backlighting requires AC which the inverter provides along with the knob for adjusting the brightness. This explains in more detail: https://www.speedhut.com/faq.i#how-d...ng-system-work.

If you have lit needles, and +12V going into the inverter with no backlighting, sounds like the inverter could be the problem. If you're trying to measure the output of the inverter, you'll need to measure using the AC range of your multimeter. I haven't personally experienced it, but I've seen reports from others of that part failing.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-07-2018 at 10:29 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ... I haven't personally experienced it, but I've seen reports from others of that part failing.
    Yep, I've had 3 of them go south on different cars. I'd like to think the quality has improved because I really like their gauges but not the high rate of failures I've experienced with senders, clocks and the inverter.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Paul & Jeff, I will call Speedhut in the morning.

Glad I’m not losing my mind...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedhut has awesome customer service, - they are shipping out a whole new dimmer/inverter assembly!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Speedhut has a new & improved dimmer/inverter unit. Just installed it and that fixed my issue.

Chris