Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question on MKII trunk lid fitment

Gas Fume Philosopher AJ Roadster NJ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on MKII trunk lid fitment

My MKII trunk lid has an overly sharp curve from the top to the vertical section in back. Before I ask my question, here is a complete description of my current situation;

• The car is up on jackstands and level.
      The body is attached to the car at all eight lower side bolt points, the rear quickjacks, the pin for the trunk latch, the front quickjacks, and the front body bolts. The windshield is not in but that should not affect the trunk at all.
      I'm using the stock FFR hinges. They're in and snugged down.
      I am using Mike Everson's D-seal but haven't put it in yet. I will put it in with masking tape for final fitment prior to paint, but for right now I'm just trying to get close.
      I have not completed the sanding of the panel gap all around, but it is close enough that I can see where I'm going to have my issue.
      With the rest of the trunk positioned properly in relation to the body -- all lined up from trunk lid to body -- the lower edge in back is "pulled in" about .250" across the entire trunk lid.
      The aluminum insert on the underside of the trunk lid is pretty dramatically pulled away from the main glass. The separated glass is much lighter in color than the regular glass, and is translucent. I can see that at the back, the aluminum is separated by about .250 from the underlying main glass.
      I tried gently heating the trunk and trying to expand the curve, but it just isn't happening, not with the aluminum holding it in shape.
      I don't want to just fill the trunk out to close the gap, because 1) that's a lot of filler, and 2) I would still have an issue with weatherstripping (right now I have to force the trunk over the inner edge of the body a bit, scraping it, to get it to close).

So here are my specific question;

Is the aluminum trunk liner absolutely required? What happens if I cut it out and leave it out? I think I could gently heat the piece and bend it if the aluminum wasn't there.

Thanks for any help, and thanks for this extremely cool project.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like
    AJ, let me know if you want to sit my MKIII lid on it as well to see if it is any closer from the get-go. It's just sitting in the garage taking up space.

-Scott
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    On both a Mk3 and Mk4 I have had to shorten the inner quick jack spacers and latch pin to pull the body's lower valance in to meet the bottom edge of the trunk lid.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, when I read your post I slapped my forehead and said, "Why didn't I think of that?" That might be the way to go with this.

Scott, maybe we'll try that. I'll connect with you to pick up the carpet and the lid at the same time. If it fits better we'll figure something out for a price. Thanks. (Hey, nice shots on the homepage of your graduation!!) Having said that, I'll do my other stuff today first but if I can trim to fit as Jeff suggests I might not even try your MKIII lid.

AJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Just thought I'd post that I snuck up on it, gradually shortening the inner quickjack spacers and the latch pin, and I'm there. Thanks again Jeff for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff