Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: power windows

Post Thanks / Like

power windows

Did you run a ground wire into the door?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven’t gotten that far yet, but I most certainly would. Otherwise you are relying on greased bushing (if you stay with the PB stock ones), and a little miveable metal to metal in the latch area as a ground. None of that is solid enough of a ground for my liking. I intend to run a ground into each door and then connect any grounds needed to it. I might just attach it to the frame and ground to frame as needed then, if I run into more than the motor for the windows and popper ground if I use one.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i went and ran ground to doors.
    Thanks

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't technically need a separate ground wire to operate the power windows. There are two wires run from the switch and polarity from the two wires is flipped by the switch which is what makes the window go up and then down. If you just run a ground and one wire from the switch, the window will only go one way and never go back (if that is what your asking). Unless you have another accessory to run on the door, no ground is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes ran three wires to each door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    You don't technically need a separate ground wire to operate the power windows. There are two wires run from the switch and polarity from the two wires is flipped by the switch which is what makes the window go up and then down. If you just run a ground and one wire from the switch, the window will only go one way and never go back (if that is what your asking). Unless you have another accessory to run on the door, no ground is needed.
    The motor needs a ground. And locks if you put them
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have power windows, power door latches and power/manual safety pins. The only one that could use a ground is the door latch operator, that only moves in one direction to open the latch. The others have dedicated wires that reverse polarity to open/close the windows and extend/retract the safety pins. A ground from the steel structure inside the door would probably work fine for the latch actuator, but it only saves one wire. If you can get 5 into a wire loom, you can probably get 6 in there with no problem.

I chose to use spring loaded contact strips that also work as door poppers, but as I understand it the gap between the door jamb and door is large, so this type of setup doesn't work.

Most door poppers are nothing but spring loaded pins that help to push the door open once the latch is released. They use no electricity.