Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake Reservoir Question

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Reservoir Question

I am installing the remote reservoirs. Can I use teflon tape when adding the fitting to the bottom of the reservoir to get the fitting pointed in the right direction for the hose? I don't want to keep tightening the fitting and mess anything up.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not likely to do what you're wanting it to do. I would recommend you do not use teflon tape on any automotive application. Teflon tape gets stringy as it's sheared by the threads when you tighten the fitting and the pieces may end up in the system. You really don't want to contaminate your brake system with strings of teflon.

A much better thread sealant is Loctite PST.

Post Thanks / Like
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Naz, I ordered the Loctite PST. If it works for you that should be good enough for me.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Naz, isn't that stuff ptfe which is teflon tape in liquid form? Permatex pneumatic/hydraulic sealant part # 54540 is rated for brake fluid. Not cheap but works really well and will last.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing wrong with Permatex products and if you've had good luck with the 54540 that's the stuff you should use. And you're correct about PST containing Teflon but it's not the Teflon that creates the problem, it's the form the Teflon is in. Teflon tape shears as you thread the fittings together and pieces of shredded Teflon break free to contaminate the system. Even worse if you don't wrap the threads in the correct direction. I've dealt with this stringy stuff clogging hydraulic systems many times as Teflon tape seems to be the go-to sealer for many people. IMO it's good for larger diameter plumbing systems such as domestic water piping but has no place in automotive applications.

I like the Loctite sealants and PST is my go-to thread sealer for most applications. If you refer to Henkel's application sheet for Loctite products, PST 565 for general sealing is compatible with brake fluid. Loctite also makes sealers specifically for hydraulic service but I've always had good luck with the 565 for high pressure hydraulic systems (>2,000 PSI). So I'm confident recommending the PST 565 for rychi1 to use on his brake reservoirs. But there are certainly other good products to choose from.