Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  8
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Edwardb’s Gen 3 Type 65 Coyote Coupe #59 Build: Another Gen 3 Coyote Install Update

Post Thanks / Like
    in the first picture the cover looks like it really cleans up the look but then in the second picture well, not so much. I think you will need to see it with the body and hood in place to decide.
    oh, and as always great pictures and information.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn’t look too bad. A big canvas to be artistic with...

As usual, very very nice work thus far Paul. Appreciate the Gen 3 info. I might be ordering a 33 for my bride and I’m considering that motor.

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 09-13-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    in the first picture the cover looks like it really cleans up the look but then in the second picture well, not so much. I think you will need to see it with the body and hood in place to decide.
    oh, and as always great pictures and information.
    David W
    Thanks. Yea I'm not sure how different it will look with the body and front cowl since the front tips up and exposes everything pretty much like the pictures show. But I agree. I put the unmodified cover back in the box and will decide when things are more finalized. Can validate the fit and what it looks like. What I did learn is that I will use at least some of it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been slammed at work and just caught up with your thread and wow. Huge progress!

Id say make cardboard template. Paint it black and see how it looks before your cut into that plastic engine cover. I actually like it better without. I’m not offended by the wires. It’s growing on me actually. Also I like the look of the intake and it covers that up. Maybe even something fabricated from aluminum might look cool too if it doesn't cause interference. One other thought would be maybe a body matching color on an engine cover or shroud will bring some continuity into that area and draw attention to the cover and away from the wires if you don’t like the wires.

Working this stuff out is half the fun I’m sure. Enjoy!
    Last edited by P100DHG; 09-15-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    Gen 3 65 Coupe - Order Date 8/2018 - Delivery 12/2018 - P100DHG 65 Coupe Build Thread

5. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I haven't officially mounted my computer yet I did a mock a couple months ago, after looking at my 2016 Mustang GT the computer is mounted just off the front corner of the passenger head, far enough forward from the exhaust and tuck in, that is general area where I'll be mounting my computer soon as thing cool off a bit , 107 in Phx today too hot right now.

7. Thanks P100DHG thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    While I haven't officially mounted my computer yet I did a mock a couple months ago, after looking at my 2016 Mustang GT the computer is mounted just off the front corner of the passenger head, far enough forward from the exhaust and tuck in, that is general area where I'll be mounting my computer soon as thing cool off a bit, 107 in Phx today too hot right now.
    Agreed. Ford designed the harness on the engine for the PCM to be mounted in that general area. The 2018 is similar. Some guys take apart the harness so it can be re-routed and mount the PCM on/near the firewall. But I'm not going to try that. Not just because I don't want to break into the cable, but also because the firewall area (and behind) is also really crowded plus there'd be 4-5 feet of extra harness to deal with from the PDB. Yesterday I completed a mount for my PCM and will show some details in my next update. It ended up in a similar location between the frame rails as I showed in a previous update and picture. It's tight with everything else going on. But I think it will work.
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Another Gen 3 Coyote Install Update

Plugging away on details for the Gen 3 Coyote installation. Have basically determined how I’m going to deal with two major items: PCM mounting/cable routing and cold air intake.

PCM mounting: Some of this I’ve talked about before. The large harness and connector coming off the engine terminates near the front corner of the RH head. Without modifying the cable, really no choice but to put the PCM in that vicinity. I know some guys unwrap the cable and then mount the PCM in the firewall or PS footbox area. Thought briefly about that. But the harness is complex (wires exit along its path for each injector, coil pack, multiple sensors, and now the new DI hardware) and I just don’t want to dive into it. Plus it’s already congested in the firewall area and beyond with the A/C and heat, accessories I’ve added, etc. Plus I'd have a whole bunch of excess cable between the PCM and PDB to deal with. So I’m staying with mounting it near the RH front of the engine. Note this is nearly identical to the location used on #8674 and how FFR shows in their instructions for the Roadster. I know some are concerned about the headers in that area. But it hasn’t proven to be an issue. These modules are made for the harsh underhood environment. Within reason of course. Note also this is the same general area that Ford mounts them in the Mustang. What’s interesting though is in the Mustang it’s packed in with a lot of other stuff and doesn’t appear that it would have much airflow around it. As opposed to ours that are more free-standing. So seems to me it’s completely safe there.

So for the actual mounting, the new Bosch PCM with the Gen 3 only has two mounting ears near the connectors, versus the four the previous version has. Plus they’re not too friendly to attach to IMO. I decided to make a bracket that sandwiches the PCM and holds it suspended under the frame rail in the area mentioned. After some patterns, prototypes, and one fail, have finalized on a piece of 1-1/2 inch right angle aluminum riveted to the frame rail, and a wraparound bracket made from mild steel. I have nutserts in the aluminum bracket and will use 1/8 inch cushioning material where the PCM is contacted. Looks like this:

My first approach was to mount the PCM facing down, e.g. wire connections on the bottom. I thought it looked a little neater. Like this:

But after thinking about it a couple days and sitting and staring at it for awhile (that again…) decided that wasn’t such a good plan. The wiring was way too congested with everything else, no clear path for the large harness that needs to go back to the PDB, plus the connectors and wires would be the closest thing to the header area. So flipped it over and this is what I’m going with:

This will get cleaned up a bunch for the final installation. The large center connector is from the engine, obviously. The front connector goes to the PDB. That harness needs to be re-configured quite a bit. I’ll unwrap it and bring the starter and fan wires back to the PDB area. Probably also the engine connections (alternator, MAF, etc.). That will make the cable a little skinnier where it's visible FWIW. I’ll run the cable along the outside of the top frame rail, along the bottom of the firewall, and to the PDB near the center of the firewall. I was hoping to hide the cable a little more than that, but just not in the cards. There will be heater and A/C hoses all over the place in the same area. So I’m thinking it’s no big deal. The rear connector, BTW, is only for the O2 sensors. Ford changed how they’re wired again. So all three Gen Coyotes have been different. In this case, the wires go directly from here to the sensors. It too, though, will need to be reconfigured to be optimal. That’s as far as I’m going to go for now. When the engine mockup comes out, I’ll get everything mounted and wired for good.

Cold air intake: Some of this I mentioned before too. The throttle body on the Gen 3 Coyote points up 8-9 degrees more than before. Plus the cowl is relatively close on the underside. I looked at several of the Mustang aftermarket cold air intake kits, but didn't see one that would fit. The Spectre setup FFR has in their instructions and I have in #8674 won’t fit either. They do mention a MAF tube from Treadstone Performance. In looking at that piece plus other items on their website, came up with a combination that I hoped would fit. Received the parts today, and all is good. I’m impressed with the quality of the parts too. I’m especially pleased the MAF tube has rolled ends. So properly clamped they shouldn’t come apart. (Reference “Ride of Shame” thread for #8674…) The right angle coupler is very robust. I’ll need to add a connector for the PCV hose, but that’s easy enough. The parts I received are:

• S35090BLK 90 Degree Silicone Hose Coupler 3.50" - 3.50" (103411-128578) Black
    • MAPHL35 MAF Mass Air Flow Adapter Pipe, 3.50" Low (103748-129055) Polished aluminum
    • AF10044BLK Air Filter Medium 3.5" Neck (104214-129638) Black

Factory Five also sells this same Treadstone MAF tube. Their part number 16403. They also sell a 90deg Silicone Hose – FFR#16404, and Coyote Air Filter – FFR#16608. But I don't know if those two are the same has what I bought directly from Treadstone. I had to cut 1-inch off the right angle coupler where it plugs onto the throttle body. It was too long as I suspected from their pictures. With that, it fits up exactly like I hoped. Based on pictures and measurements taken previously, it will fit under the front cowl.

The cold air intake leaves just enough room for the Moroso cooling system expansion tank. It’s tight, but not quite as tight as the angle on this picture indicates.

On a related note, on the Treadstone Performance website they promoted the use of a honeycomb airflow straightener in the MAF tube. Installed at the neck of the tube on the air filter side to clean up the air going through the sensor. Did a little Google searching, and maybe has some merit. Supposedly improves MAF readings at lower RPM's. So added one to my order. Thinking I'll just keep it aside for the moment. But something I'll take a look at down the road. Next up is to make brackets for the Moroso expansion tank and finalize the Odyssey battery mount. Then the engine will come back out.
    Last edited by edwardb; 09-18-2018 at 03:12 PM.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011