Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  220

Thread: Edwardb’s Gen 3 Type 65 Coyote Coupe #59 Build: 5,000 Mile Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wiring Mostly Done (and it works!) Continued

This build will have windshield washers as I’ve mentioned before. I’ve managed to skate by the police safety inspection on this one on previous builds. Charitable officers have checked the box even though I haven’t installed them before. So went for it this time. The wiper switch I’ve mentioned integrates it easily and uses the same power as the wipers. For some time now, I’ve been looking for a tank and pump system I thought would work. I don’t expect to use it much, so don’t need a big reservoir plus space is limited. Plus from what I could see, many of the aftermarket tank and pump systems looked really cheap and of marginal quality. Or are purpose made for vehicles in all kinds of crazy shapes. After a bunch more searching this week, pushed the order button on a 060800-0550 Denso Heavy Duty Windshield Washer Kit. Denso is one of the world’s largest automotive suppliers (my former company competed with them, or tried to) and makes quality parts. So hoped this was better than your average aftermarket product. Listed lots of places, but Amazon had them so bought it there. Interestingly, shipped from an RV supply store and learned this setup is widely used on certain RV’s. There were no dimensions on any listings that I could find. But comparing to other units, looked smaller than average, so took a chance. Arrived today and I think it’s going to be perfect. The tank is 5-1/2” wide, 7” tall, and 3-1/2” deep and holds slightly less than 2 quarts. Fits right where I was hoping it would fit. On the lower RH side of the firewall. Seems like a heavy duty and well-made piece.

Something else I’ve been looking at and researching is side mirrors. One common feedback I get about the Daytona Coupe, Factory Five and otherwise, is rear vision isn’t the best. The single bullet mirror in the kit is maybe legal but less than what I want. Another build thread mentioned side mirrors from Peter Brock. (https://bre2.net/) Looked at those plus other builds and other options. Finally decided to go with the mirrors from Peter. Again, not cheap (yet again??) but couldn’t find any that I liked better and kind of cool to have something from him on my build. The mirror body can optionally be painted body color. Will see about that. He recommends leaving the stalk and mount satin black as they come. Liked how they came with backing plates to go inside the doors where they attach. Little concerned about the width since they stick out quite a bit, and my trailer (when used) isn't very wide. But now that I have them, looks like I could fold them back if necessary. Anyway, quality looks great and should be another nice and very functional addition.

With all the progress, do have a couple issues to deal with. I noticed a couple days after the first start I had a few drops of power steering fluid on the floor. Have been watching it. Not a gusher, but definitely wet most of the time from the pulley bearing location and occasionally enough to drip. Talked to KRC, and looks like it’s going to have to go back for warranty repair or replacement. I mentioned the Honda power steering fluid and he said they’ve had a couple examples of that fluid being corrosive. Haven’t heard that from anyone else plus I’ve used it successfully in #8674 with zero issues. But he also said the newer aluminum pump for this build has a different seal than the older steel pump. It will go back and maybe I’ll switch to their fluid. The other issue is I’ll be sending my PCM back to Ford. The MIL doesn’t work. With an MIL ON indication seen by scanning the ODB2 port, the light isn’t on. Received word a few days ago that their engineers agree it’s not working on the Gen 3 Coyote crate. So they’ll ask for the PCM back once they have the program updated. This will be second turnaround on the PCM. Had another minor issue right after I installed it which they resolved and turned around the next day. I found out from talking to them the other day I have serial number one of the production Gen 3 Coyote crates. I asked if I should be excited or nervous. The answer was excited of course. There were several that went out before mine. But they were to the press, etc. and not actual customer deliveries. In the same conversation though they confirmed my PCM is the latest version (they call it a calibration) so whatever issues I might be having (or success, e.g. first start) are the same as everyone else. Will get resolved. I’m not too worried about either issue and now is the time to get that stuff sorted out.

That’s it finally. I have a list of minor things to wrap up. Then will start body fitting. Looking forward to getting to that stage.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-27-2020 at 05:18 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.