FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Miami GenV LT1 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Miami GenV LT1 Build

Well after delaying my car 6 months, I finally pulled the trigger on the first few pieces…

Gen V LT1/TR6060
    IRS 3.55 Cast Iron Diff
    Saturn Vue Electric Power Steering
    Holley Terminator X with Touchscreen
    Coach Controls Wiring

The usual other stuff like stereo, AC, windows etc. Plan to do lot of custom body mods. The car is slated to land in July, I will slowly gather parts in the mean time.

I debated a long time on whether to go with a Torsen 3.73 or clutch type. In the end this engine just has so much torque with the VVT that 3.55 made more sense for cruising speeds on the highway. This rear end came out of a manual 3.55 car with a claimed 80k miles, which is really hard to believe with how clean it is. I took all the needed parts off and will be sandblasting, painting and new seals soon.
    405DBA6D-F949-464F-8D99-BD7B5B161704.jpg
    5F93335A-1ED6-4E14-9C91-8FADA97E1215.jpg
    9BB6C52E-1140-4B13-B8C1-7B8ABE31492A.jpg

These small photos drives me nuts in threads. I assume the only way to post full size in the thread is to use the [IMG] code with a link to a 3rd party website?
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 05-06-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello. Sounds like you are putting together plans on a very custom build. I look forward to following along. Welcome!

As far as getting full size pictures in your posts, the forum provides a way to do this--see the instructions here: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts. It's handy to use a photo resizer before uploading to your album, so the pictures load faster. For example, I use a very simple (and free) program called PhotoResizeXXXX.exe. Substitute the XXXX with the resolution of your choice. I use 2000, which provides good detail, but still provides fast loading of the photos. You can Google Photo Resize to find it, and other free programs similar.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit: arriving ~ 4/22/24! Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

3. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too look forward to following your build.

I'm curious what made you want to go with the LT1 instead of LS3-based engines which have more support from Factory Five. Maybe it's all the same installation parts (motor mounts, driveshaft, headers, etc), I haven't researched the LT1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kbl7td,
    Congratulations! I am in Miami and have a Gen 2 type 65 coupe. Give me a call at your convenience, 305-505-0463.
    Herb
    Coupe # 622.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    I too look forward to following your build.

I'm curious what made you want to go with the LT1 instead of LS3-based engines which have more support from Factory Five. Maybe it's all the same installation parts (motor mounts, driveshaft, headers, etc), I haven't researched the LT1.
    Right now used prices of LS and LT are about the same. About the same weight and size. Main difference is no one wants to mess with the direct injection or the VVT on the LT. The ECU is also a little more costly. But the low end torque is what I’m after. I used to have a base C7 that was tuned, the thing was insane. I’m not too worried about having to shift the mounts around etc. I know I’ll have to move some stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1965daytona View Post
    Hi Kbl7td,
    Congratulations! I am in Miami and have a Gen 2 type 65 coupe. Give me a call at your convenience, 305-505-0463.
    Herb
    Will do! I would like to see one in person, never have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone confirm if the mustang brake shields are used on the IRS? The ones that come with the donor? Also I believe the old half shafts get tossed as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    My build has taken a hiatus as I had to cancel my build and push it back several times due to time issues. I just reordered a base kit again this past Wednesday. Few questions.

I will be doing the IRS and front LCA tubular.

Do I need to source the front spindles and hubs? The website is a little unclear if those are provided when you order the LCA tubular arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Another good reason to go with the LT vs LS (35 - 60 additional HP):

LT engine.jpg

Should be a fun project, congrats!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to report here yet, the car was slated to be finished Dec 9. However I have not heard from stewart recently. I am out of the country near the end of this month so delivery will have to wait until after new years. I have lots of parts sitting on the shelf, decided to get the tank finished. A quick 15min job.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 12-18-2023 at 07:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coupe arrived last Monday the 15th. I’ve tried to work as much as possible on it. Plan is to mock everything up first and see if I have everything I need, then we’ll tighten down and go kart before hitting body work etc.

This is the Lo boy fan, 3000cfm, probably a must in Miami. Mocking up stage for making the glass/carbon fan shroud.

Rear IRS, everything mocked up. Nothing torqued or bolted down.

This is the original GM pedal, really tight fit. I have a Holley pedal in order to try that should be significantly smaller.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 01-22-2024 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Main battery leads and power center feeds mocked up.

I really did not want to mount the regulator on the firewall, however looking at the room in the back, it just made more sense to put it here for ease. I don’t love it.

This is the coupe 23 system by Coach controls. Gives me a little more freedom over wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Front mocked up with powerstop fittings. Let me know if anything looks out of place.

Fuel system in place.

Last edited by Kbl7td; 01-22-2024 at 10:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This week I’ll be doing brake lines. 3/16 Nicopp. Setting and drilling panels. I’ll more than likely prep the IRS frame brackets for POr15 and get that done so I can mount the diff and rear IRS for the last time.

Attempting to put in a steering rack out of an Oldsmobile intrigue so I can have a more finished look, as well as electric power steering. This all is proving to be a lesson in fabrication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welded in some 1in angle to make the rear storage box.

Modified the column which will now accept a 1”DD coupler to the stock FF DD shaft. I have the other joints on order. Mock up is here. Those joints will be attached with the coupler.

Steering column can be seen mocked up here. I think the stock FF bracket will work. I’ll just well on a 1/4 plate so that the new column has something to bolt to as the width is wider. This gives me tilt, wipers, and turn signals. Steering wheel will be replaced obviously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seats came in today, man what a tight fit. I guess I wasn’t expecting such a vertical seat back angle. Definitely going to take some adjustment to get them at least somewhat of a decline. It seems others have posted too about seats hitting at the shoulder bolster. There seems to be a few inches of space directly behind the seat back. I’ll have to move the wheel forward slightly too as I hate being right up on the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What seats did you order?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    What seats did you order?
    These are the seats. Lots of people use the same seat but I wanted to explore some other options. These are priced very very reasonable. The quality is amazing. Really nice feel and build to them.

At 5’11 190 I’m not exactly tall. Unless you’re below 5’9 I don’t understand how a seat slider is warranted in this car, I already feel like my chest is at the wheel and head at the ceiling and roll bars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09H7...b_b_asin_title

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    Seats came in today, man what a tight fit. I guess I wasn’t expecting such a vertical seat back angle. Definitely going to take some adjustment to get them at least somewhat of a decline. It seems others have posted too about seats hitting at the shoulder bolster. There seems to be a few inches of space directly behind the seat back. I’ll have to move the wheel forward slightly too as I hate being right up on the wheel.

I trimmed the body to get the seat to go back to the rollcage. It made quite a difference.
    1000005712.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burchfieldb View Post
    I trimmed the body to get the seat to go back to the rollcage. It made quite a difference.
    I was considering this. I assume this doesnt mess with the panel alignments. Thats definitely a weird area of fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Size difference between GM and Holley pedal. Holley fits in there nicely now. No mods needed except a different less ugly pedal.

Running rear lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bit of an update. Started drilling and cleco’ing panels. Man what a chore this is, not particularly hard just mind numbing. Some panels require a bit of massaging like people have said, however I don’t know that there’s particularly a wrong way in the cockpit. Whatever you can do to get this flush and seated well.

Locked in the main body on the back, lots of adjustment here for later. Was nearly dead nuts with the measurements.

New steering wheel came, just waiting on my adapter.

Just got the last coupler for the power steering, it should mount in the general area where shown, a bit more lateral.

You can see the column mounted in this, once the adapter comes in I’ll weld in the plate and secure it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the engine yesterday. Scored what I felt like was a very good deal on a 2018 LT1 with TR6060, super clean, all stock.

My hoist was just not happy about this, all research online shows the dressed engine and trans at about 700lbs. The hoist just wouldn’t reach out far enough very easily. I’m already planning on dropping in a new cam, springs, timing chain, lifters etc. So I’ll likely drop it in without the accessories and heads and reassemble in the car when ready. Likely will have to modify my lift slightly to get about another foot of reach.

25. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great choice for a donor engine/transmission. I have looked at Copart auctions, lots of late model Camaro SS's out there with salvage titles just in the Western states. I have one more restomod build in me and that drivetrain is what I would use to hot rot a vintage Camaro or Firebird.
    Would you share what you paid for the engine and transmission on a pallet and who they were purchased from. I know it is cheaper in the long run to buy a complete donor car, but a lot more work too.
    Thanks
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    New project, 1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered restomod. Started 10/14/16.
    http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the gas pedal from the factory bracket and made my own bracket which moved the pedal closer to the foot box. Less expensive than buying a different pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Great choice for a donor engine/transmission. I have looked at Copart auctions, lots of late model Camaro SS's out there with salvage titles just in the Western states. I have one more restomod build in me and that drivetrain is what I would use to hot rot a vintage Camaro or Firebird.
    Would you share what you paid for the engine and transmission on a pallet and who they were purchased from. I know it is cheaper in the long run to buy a complete donor car, but a lot more work too.
    Thanks
    eBay. I’ve been watching them for years. The LT tends to hang around a similar spot to the LS. There’s definitely more moving parts to the LT, Direct injection, high pressure pump, addition of the VVT and DOD on all engines, etc. I think that’s why the prices remain similar to the LS.

I had a 2017 corvette that was scary fast, this should be even more terrifying. Terminator X to the rescue with traction control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Builders View Post
    I removed the gas pedal from the factory bracket and made my own bracket which moved the pedal closer to the foot box. Less expensive than buying a different pedal.
    Holley terminator X requires a specific pedal, went down that road on my SLC and this time just decided to order the smallest pedal from them. That way I don’t have problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to take off the heads and weld on an extra strap to my lift. Essentially got it out another 10in. I just barely got it all in, will definitely have to make some modifications. I already knew I’d need to put in new engine mounts and trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been a bit since last update. Since then I’ve walnut blasted my valves, these DI engines really get things gummed up without a good catch can. Lapped the valves, changed the springs and trunnions in prep for the BTR cam. I also put in a shallower oil pan.

As far as I’m aware this is the first LT1 in a coupe, probably another out there who knows. This required custom mounts and trans mounts. Everything will be taken out, tac’d up more and cleaned up. I was able to make everything cushioned by urethane mounts.

Up next is getting the electric power steering mounted and sorted.

32. Likes cunfewzed, Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like the build is moving at a snails pace now. Was waiting on a few parts to come, so no I can finish closing up the cam swap and engine fresh up. Right now she’s sitting in frame waiting to be finished. Then I’ll pull out, clean up and finish the frame painting. Speaking of…

I ordered POr15 top coat DTM, did all the prep etc. It turned out horrible. Thankfully this is just on the rear section which will be completely hidden. I’ve had success with this stuff before, but this time no go. So I ordered Eastwood chassis black and will be priming and spraying the rest of the frame.

Additionally alignment of the engine/trans seems to have come out perfect and the shifter sits beautifully in place. Hopefully the driveshaft won’t be too much of a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is moving slower than I wanted, lots of other things popping up requiring my attention. However, engine is rebuilt, settled in place, chassis painted and started laying out where the massive Holley harness and ECUs will go. Once I get the wiring sorted I’ll start putting in the front paneling permanently. Brushed look with sharkhide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quite a project as that engine will make the car a beast. I plan to order my couple on 4/5, but going with a more conventional SBF 363. What is going to be unique on mine will be the use of the 10R80 with a external controller. There is a adapter plate available to permit bolting up the 10R80 to a 302 block. I really love the modern automatics as they shift faster than anyone can a manual and they are very robust too. I will install paddle shifters and a Lokar sport shifter to select gears. Going to be so much fun. The 363 will be stack injected and should dyno at about 550 crank HP. Not cheap, but the looks of the stacks are tough to beat.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, with paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Quite a project as that engine will make the car a beast. I plan to order my couple on 4/5, but going with a more conventional SBF 363. What is going to be unique on mine will be the use of the 10R80 with a external controller. There is a adapter plate available to permit bolting up the 10R80 to a 302 block. I really love the modern automatics as they shift faster than anyone can a manual and they are very robust too. I will install paddle shifters and a Lokar sport shifter to select gears. Going to be so much fun. The 363 will be stack injected and should dyno at about 550 crank HP. Not cheap, but the looks of the stacks are tough to beat.
    Will the 10R80 fit in the tunnel of the Type 65 Gen 3 Coupe? It is a little over 5 inches wider and about 4 inches taller than the Tremec T56 Magnum-F. It is also about 4 inches longer.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzzy View Post
    Will the 10R80 fit in the tunnel of the Type 65 Gen 3 Coupe? It is a little over 5 inches wider and about 4 inches taller than the Tremec T56 Magnum-F. It is also about 4 inches longer.
    I will find out. I can weld, so some modifications are likely necessary. I have a 6R80 in the 70 Mustang restomod I am building. I did have to modify the tunnel and the firewall on the Mustang, but not as extensively as you might think.
    I am going to make it fit and the extra 5 inches of wheelbase over the MK4 will help with the driveshaft length. I am not worried, at most I will mod the 3/4" tubing and aluminum sheet metal. After restomoding my 70 mustang, not too much scares me anymore.
    Wider and taller I get, but longer I really doubt it as the slip joint that is normally part of a manual transmission is part of the driveshaft for the 6R80 and 10R80 transmissions. My 6R80 actually looks stubby compared to a standard T5. When I get a chance, I will measure a T5 at a friends place vs my 6R80. Wanna bet which one is longer and I will take the 6R80 as being shorter.
    I should get the kit late June or early July based upon expected lead times according to Factory Five.
    Last edited by Alan_C; 03-30-2024 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say I have a ton of room in front of the engine. About 18in. The back is about 1-1.5in to the diagonals near the “bell housing”. I have no pan hanging below the frame nor trans.

39. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    I will say I have a ton of room in front of the engine. About 18in. The back is about 1-1.5in to the diagonals near the “bell housing”. I have no pan hanging below the frame nor trans.
    I can imagine you have just about all the room in the world. The LSs and LT1s are about as compact as any modern engine out there. When I was thinking about building a 69 Firebird Convertible Trans Am tribute, I would have gone with the same drivetrain as you are in your coupe. Lots of HP and torque and in plentiful supply in Phoenix and the surrounding states. It appears that the Chevy boys aren't too good at keeping the rear in line and end up hitting something or putting it in a ditch. I was quite surprised at the number of good donors that were available. To the point, the higher the performance level of the Camaro, the more cars were at junk yards until you got to the ZL1, then limited production volume made those hard to find if you could find one. In that case, a Cadillac CTS-V became a better donor choice as there are a good number of those out there. The LT4 is a great engine, kind of sorry I won't get my hands on one anytime soon and probably never as I have a plan for building out my stable of cars and they are all Fords. I will put a SBF 363 in my coupe, so room around the engine should be similar to yours. The adapter plate to adapter the 302 block to the 10R80 looks to be about 1/2" thick or so. So I will hope that I can get the 10R80 in there will minimal modifications. Unlike with my MK4, I will have a full build thread to lead the way for others to consider a modern automatic. My new garage will start in 4 or 5 weeks as the County only needs one more drawing to issue my permit to build, yah! Once the garage is up and occupiable and the Mustang is finished, I will dive into the coupe build feet first. I am buying now as the Spring sale will let me deduct $1000 from the 2015 IRS upgrade and there is a price increase coming. My guess is the price increase is at least $1K. So ordering on or before 4/5 can potentially save as much as $2K.
    I will keep watching your build and Eric's to see if there is anything I have overlooked in my planning and I am sure there is.

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress made, most all of the wiring is back in and terminated. Holley system all in. Radiator, condenser and hoses are sorted. Just waiting on a few silicone fittings. I’ll finish fitting the drivers panels this week.

Ended up buying a powder coating gun and doing one of the rear brakes, and the emergency handle parts. Really easy to do. Just 3 more left.

Wheels and tires are in. 1in spacers out back. 315/30/19 and 295/30/19. Hopefully they fit well when the body goes on. Really hoping to have her dropped down and rolling by ended of the month. Starting would be nice but exhaust will be holding me up.

AC unit mounted a bit different, utilized all three brackets in the factory riv nuts in the AC. Much more sturdy and not tilted in the frame.

Brake and clutch hoses routed, will get these bled once all brakes are on.

Bottom of AC condenser giving me issues like other, I’ll just trim the aluminum.

Last edited by Kbl7td; 04-15-2024 at 07:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Kbl7td; 04-15-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    New boots.