FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Sway Bars for Daytona Gen 3

Post Thanks / Like

Sway Bars for Daytona Gen 3

Hola Daytona track day participants.

I had my first track day experience with a professional driver in the left seat while I hung on hoping my beautiful new creation didn't end up off the track. It was exciting to watch a really good driver save my car on our circuits around the track with increasing speed. My car had terrible oversteer. My driver suggested we soften the rear end by adjusting the sway bar to its rear most settings. We put it on the lift and tried to make that adjustment but the tie rods didn't appear to allow it as they weren't long enough.

Tried to tighten up the front sway bar but it too did not seem to be properly adjustable. The provided FFR spacer seems too wide and pushes the angle of the tie rod out from vertical.

I'm sure there's some one with track day experience that has faced this issue. Please advise.

PS. Rsnake says to ditch the rear sway bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Development often involves testing the extremes and if you do not like either, split the difference and repeat as necessary.
    Rsnake is right, and disconnecting a link is an easy test set-up.

After the rear bar test, you may have to fabricate an adjustment configuration for the front bar.
    jim

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are not running aero - I would remove the rear bar all together. I increased my front spring rates to 600 lbs.

I also went 2 clicks stiff in the front and 1 click in the rear...Koni reds.

You may need to ditch the front bar and go to a custom one after that.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought some longer end links for the rear sway bar in order to put it at the lightest setting....but with folks with a lot of track time like Erik, Rsnake, and Dave's Daytona saying ditch it I would say that is the answer, but would like to see how it behaves myself on and off. Quite a way aways from that time myself, as have maybe another year to go with my build. Following to see what you find out, please update us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks JR for your input. Making the adjustments one step at a time and also doing a track alignment. I'll post results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks Erik for your valuable input. I'm trying to move the rear bar at the moment to a softer setting and the fronts to tighter. Then will do a track alignment. Drive again and check it out. I'll post my results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to get too far off the conversation, but I just ordered a Gen 3 coupe with delivery in August. I ordered the front and rear sway bars. Should I delete the rear bar for the 2015 Mustang IRS?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks rhk for your input. I'm in the process of adjusting the rear now to the softest setting and tightening up the front. I also plan a track alignment as it it set up for the street now. I'll post any progress.

9. Likes rhk118 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alan. I'm not sure what to advise at this point but two experienced track drivers responded to ditch the rear bar. I'm in the process of adjusting both the front and rear and will do a track alignment. I'll report my progress.

11. Thanks Alan_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lougarvin View Post
    Alan. I'm not sure what to advise at this point but two experienced track drivers responded to ditch the rear bar. I'm in the process of adjusting both the front and rear and will do a track alignment. I'll report my progress.
    As you progress in your chassis tuning, please keep posting results. I have some time before I have to finalize my order. At this point, I will plan on keeping the rear bar in the order, but not install it once the car is first roadworthy.
    I remember how the GTM was also very tail happy. It seems that the rear bar can be more problematic until the chassis tuning is fully sorted out. Now a completely different animal, but I have Total Control Products suspension front and rear on my 70 Mustang Boss 302 tribute. The rear bar is a very expensive splined roll bar that looks great, but the car is not roadworthy yet, but in 6 months, maybe. Although the rear is a 4-link on the Mustang, I'm thinking I will leave off the rear bar on it too. On my MK4, I did not have bars either front or rear and that car stuck like glue. Maybe time to call Factory Five and discuss the usefulness of the bars with them?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just FYI Here's a picture of my setup with the longer rod ends. Again haven't tested this yet and the geometry looks wonky to me:

Rod End Part number is:
    Qa1-hmr7-8t