Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  308
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The race is on - Namrups 65 Daytona Coupe build

Post Thanks / Like

The race is on - Namrups 65 Daytona Coupe build

Like a lot of folks I have dreamt about building a Factory Five kit almost since they started business. And like most others life kept getting in the way. Until now!!! I put my order in this morning for a 65 Daytona Coupe complete kit. Now before I get a ton of posts about this shouldn't be a race please read the complete post.

65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit
    Powder coated chassis
    Coupe GPS gauges
    302/351 mounts
    Body cutouts
    Vinyl seats
    Power steering
    IRS

Options:
    AC/Heat
    Carpet
    14" leather wheel
    Side windows
    Floormats
    Battery cutoff
    Front and rear sway bars
    18" Halibrand wheels
    Double Adjustable KONI shocks
    Red Welwood brakes

Also ordering a Forte 427EFI crate engine with a TKX 5 speed

I'm still trying to define custom items.

Now to explain about the race. I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL). I have been to stage 4 twice and thru chemo and now a daily pill I am back to stage zero. I have been fighting this for 4 years now. I will eventually loose this battle. So the race is not to complete the car in record breaking time, it is being able to complete the car and have the enjoyment of driving it before the CLL wins. Wish me luck!!

Recently my employer offered an early retirement package that now gave me the financial ability and the time to take on this project. I expect the lead times for both the kit and the engine package to be 7 - 8 months so updates to this thread will be sparse to start with but as soon as I am given the ability to post pics I do have recent updates to share.

I look forward to the build and to any and all help anyone has to offer. I want to thank all of those who have posted threads as it gave me the confidence to tackle this project knowing that if I have a question I have a hugh family of folks willing and able to guide me thru.

2. Thanks rdcyclist thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, rdcyclist, tbhorner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, not what I expected. I applaud your attitude and appreciate the challenge you are taking on. Where are you located? I don’t think you will have trouble finding help.
    Good luck and God Bless.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Wow, not what I expected. I applaud your attitude and appreciate the challenge you are taking on. Where are you located? I don’t think you will have trouble finding help.
    Good luck and God Bless.

-Steve
    Hey Steve. I live in Mechanicville NY which is in upstate just north east of the capitol of Albany.

5. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First update:
    Order accepted by FF. Production week is 7/23/22. Missed my birthday by a week.

After I convinced myself to really do this I had a minor problem. I had no place to actually build anything. My backyard on Nov 2nd!
    Backyard Nov 2 2021.jpg

First step is a garage. First step to a garage is the slab. On Nov 4th the slab started to take shape.
    Backyard 2 Nov 4 2021.jpg

Slab was poured on Nov 9th.
    Slab poured Nov 9.jpgSlab complete Nov 9.jpg

Now I need a driveway to get to the garage!
    Driveway prep Nov 16.jpgDriveway prep 2 Nov 16.jpg

Next summer I will blacktop the drive. Tomorrow I am having a crushed stone drive put in.
    Last edited by Namrups; 11-16-2021 at 05:43 PM.

7. Likes Bob-O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the order! I think this is the first time I have seen someone wanting to build a car, also have to build his garage. Kudos!

With that kind of attitude, I just bet you are going to win that race.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Another NY coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzzy View Post
    Congratulations on the order! I think this is the first time I have seen someone wanting to build a car, also have to build his garage. Kudos!

With that kind of attitude, I just bet you are going to win that race.
    Thanks for the kind words and the support!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bil1024 View Post
    Congrats! Another NY coupe
    Where are you located?? When do you expect delivery?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow !

You have my complete encouragement!

Keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
    Wow !

You have my complete encouragement!

Keep us posted.
    Thank you sir. Will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck. I'm a little south in Ulster county. Just finished and registered my roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    Good Luck. I'm a little south in Ulster county. Just finished and registered my roadster.
    When you get a chance PM me and let me know what you thought of the registering process.

Post Thanks / Like
    The crushed stone drive was put in today. They compacted it and it came out great. I had planned to pave it in the spring but I may just leave the stone. It came out great.
    Temp drive.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Looking forward to helping you with this anyway I can. Happy to powder coat anything that fits in my oven and will definitely jump in for some build time. I strongly considered building a coupe but ended up going with the roadster because I’m my mind it would be an easier thing to tackle for a first timer.

Would be a pleasure to wrench on a coupe.

Jesse
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 11-18-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    Scott,

Looking forward to helping you with this anyway I can. Happy to powder coat anything that fits in my oven and will definitely jump in for some build time. I strongly considered building a coupe but ended up going with the roadster because I’m my mind it would be an easier thing to tackle for a first timer.

Would be a pleasure to wrench on a coupe.

Jesse
    Thanks for the offer Jesse! Love to have you join me when you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    PM Sent

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    PM Sent
    Git it will call this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on ordering the Daytona and I applaud your perseverance! Just ordered mine as well - they’ll be sisters…

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post
    Congrats on ordering the Daytona and I applaud your perseverance! Just ordered mine as well - they’ll be sisters…

Chris
    My thoughts on my paint job will be the reverse of your roadster pic, black with a silver stripe to match my Challenger. Already told my daughter, who turns 16 in Jan, that when we go to shows she can drive the Challenger and I'll follow in the Coupe. Should be a real crowd drawer parked next to each other.

Post Thanks / Like
    That will look awesome!
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skuzzy, your coupe arrived today!! How exciting is that! And a few weeks early. That's encouraging for the rest of us on the waiting list.
    Last edited by Namrups; 11-19-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    My thoughts on my paint job will be the reverse of your roadster pic, black with a silver stripe to match my Challenger. Already told my daughter, who turns 16 in Jan, that when we go to shows she can drive the Challenger and I'll follow in the Coupe. Should be a real crowd drawer parked next to each other.
    That will look stunning!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skuzzy, your coupe arrived today!! How exciting is that! And a few weeks early. That's encouraging for the rest of us on the waiting list.
    I am excited. The parts which have not shipped yet do not leave me with nothing to do. There is plenty to do. It also looks like my body came out of a recent mold. Parting lines are in pretty good shape. I can hardly wait to tear into it and get started.
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 11-19-2021 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having to wait until July of 2022 for delivery I have been going over the list of items I want to include in my build. I figure I will at least start ordering those items I'm sure of instead of waiting until July and then getting on wait lists. Talked with Russ Thompson today. Put my name on the list for his turn signal system, Daytona door sills and the pontoon panels. All timed to be delivered in July of 2022.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading thru YDUSURF's post this morning. He noted that he had bought the Eastman Professional Flaring tool at their Black Friday sale. Thank you sir!! I went online and also purchased it at the sale price. Love to save money when I can.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

29. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Namrups,

I have been following along on your thread and let me first say - IMPRESSIVE!

I meant to comment earlier, but I've been been trying to get my build thread current and finally did as of last night. So, now I got no excuses to comment more on others threads. And I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the savings/deal as well. I was going to make a seperate post on it, but didn't want to upset the forum mods by promoting a vendor that's not a direct supporter of the site. So, I'm gald you caught that tid bit and you are so welcome.

Anyway, what I really want to say is... That I am totally blown away by your tenacity and fighting spirit! You sir are a rock star! I can only add that if you lived nearby, in Colorado, I would be over there to help you see your dream come into reality. I truly would put my build on hold and spend a couple weekends a month to help you out. I do hope some local builders find you to help out, that is, if that is something that you want. And if not, this site is the next best thing!

I know I'll be sending you "good vibes" and thoughts/prayers your way. I'll be following along as you take on the build challenge and journey. I think your story resonates on a whole different level, way beyond my own dream, thats for sure! The past challenges you've dealt with are unfortunate, but it sounds as though you have this all in perspective, and that is what truly matters. Just know that I'm not the only one out here in your grandstand rooting you on. Keep up the tenacity and fighting spirit as you obviously have done so while facing your health issues. As a complete stranger and maybe now a virtual friend. You fight like hell! Keep smiling and laughing and living. Bcause in the end, we all have to go, but it's how we lived that we can look back on each of our own lives and smile as we walk through deaths door and experience what's next? It's not how we died, but truly how we lived. Fight my friend - FIGHT!
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    Hey Namrups,

I have been following along on your thread and let me first say - IMPRESSIVE!

I meant to comment earlier, but I've been been trying to get my build thread current and finally did as of last night. So, now I got no excuses to comment more on others threads. And I'm glad you were able to take advantage of the savings/deal as well. I was going to make a seperate post on it, but didn't want to upset the forum mods by promoting a vendor that's not a direct supporter of the site. So, I'm gald you caught that tid bit and you are so welcome.

Anyway, what I really want to say is... That I am totally blown away by your tenacity and fighting spirit! You sir are a rock star! I can only add that if you lived nearby, in Colorado, I would be over there to help you see your dream come into reality. I truly would put my build on hold and spend a couple weekends a month to help you out. I do hope some local builders find you to help out, that is, if that is something that you want. And if not, this site is the next best thing!

I know I'll be sending you "good vibes" and thoughts/prayers your way. I'll be following along as you take on the build challenge and journey. I think your story resonates on a whole different level, way beyond my own dream, thats for sure! The past challenges you've dealt with are unfortunate, but it sounds as though you have this all in perspective, and that is what truly matters. Just know that I'm not the only one out here in your grandstand rooting you on. Keep up the tenacity and fighting spirit as you obviously have done so while facing your health issues. As a complete stranger and maybe now a virtual friend. You fight like hell! Keep smiling and laughing and living. Bcause in the end, we all have to go, but it's how we lived that we can look back on each of our own lives and smile as we walk through deaths door and experience what's next? It's not how we died, but truly how we lived. Fight my friend - FIGHT!
    Thank you SIR for your kind words and encouragement! I know that I can depend on everyone on the forum when I have a question that need answering. That's what this family is all about. Building this car is my dream and I will enjoy every minute if it. The cancer will ultimately win but I will not let it spoil my enjoyment. It's all about choices. I can choose to be depressed or I can choose to be excited. I choose excited.
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received a call from Factory Five. Someone had offered to trade their Christmas build slot with my July one! Sitting here thinking about it has gotten me very emotional. Knowing the excitement after ordering your dream and then having to wait for that delivery day only to offer to extend it out another 8 months so that someone else has a chance at their dream just blows me away. I have never in my 68 years had anyone do anything like that for me. I don't know who the person was but I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart! You are one in a million!

But I will not be able to accept your offer. I have been offered a retirement package and will be using the money from that offer to pay for my dream. My issue is my retirement date is May 1st of 2022. I will receive my check within 30 days of that date. Until that check arrives I am unable to accept delivery.

I am ok with that. I have said it before and I will say it again. Factory Five owners/builders are truly the definition of family. I am proud to be a part of that family.
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

33. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf, JohnK, WIS89, Bluemont, mechen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I forget there are good people out there. Whoever that was, went above and beyond.
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 11-29-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: stupid typo

35. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes I forget there are good people out there. Whoever that was, went about and beyond.
    I 100% agree!
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    Second major moment today

The erectors for my new garage are here!
    Garage erection begins Nov 29.jpg
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    Ran out of daylight! They will finish up tomorrow. I wish I had a bigger footprint but the city would have made me jump thru hoops so the 22' x 20' will have to do. I did get ten foot high walls so hanging the body from the ceiling until I need it looks doable. It's actually bigger than I envisioned. My vision of a lift also looks doable.

Garage end of day one Nov 29.jpg
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    You and I are in the same boat. My garage is only 20'x20'. It was the largest we could build on the lot we had. I do have a 12' ceiling, but most of that is taken up when the car is on the lift. I just have too many other things in there (3 axis CNC, lathe, metal brake, 4' table saw, 60 gallon upright compressor, and so on...). I even have swingout doors so they would not take any room from the interior.
    IMG_0489_sm.jpg

There is not enough room in my garage to hang the body. I had to place it outside behind the garage. I just picked up a couple of UV blocking tarps and used bungie cords to hold them in place and stacked some CMU blocks for a temporary floor for them to sit on.
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 11-29-2021 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You and I are in the same boat. My garage is only 20'x20'. It was the largest we could build on the lot we had. I do have a 12' ceiling, but most of that is taken up when the car is on the lift. I just have too many other things in there (3 axis CNC, lathe, metal brake, 4' table saw, 60 gallon upright compressor, and so on...). I even have swingout doors so they would not take any room from the interior.
    IMG_0489_sm.jpg

There is not enough room in my garage to hang the body. I had to place it outside behind the garage. I just picked up a couple of UV blocking tarps and used bungie cords to hold them in place and stacked some CMU blocks for a temporary floor for them to sit on.
    It's not what I would have liked but it's still better than the back yard! Life is about making due with what we have.
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received a call from Factory Five. Someone had offered to trade their Christmas build slot with my July one! Sitting here thinking about it has gotten me very emotional. Knowing the excitement after ordering your dream and then having to wait for that delivery day only to offer to extend it out another 8 months so that someone else has a chance at their dream just blows me away. I have never in my 68 years had anyone do anything like that for me. I don't know who the person was but I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart! You are one in a million!
    It doesn't surprise me one bit! The family community is really fantastic here. Each builder whether receiving advice, buying parts or meeting them in person, real genuine people!

Sometimes I forget there are good people out there. Whoever that was, went above and beyond.
    Yeah Skuzzy, that's a real-class act right there! I'm sure they will remain anonymous, but to the person who would put their build on hold in this circumstance - JUST INCREDIBLE! I tip my F5 hat to you and raise a glass as well - OUTSTANDING! c[CHEERS!]

I'm also tight on space, but the key is to just stay organized as much as possible. Either way, it's all coming along nicely, Namrups!
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm also tight on space, but the key is to just stay organized as much as possible. Either way, it's all coming along nicely, Namrups!"

As with everything in life, ydousurf, you make the best with what your delt. Improve on the things you can and don't let the things you can't ruin your day.
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

43. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not what I would have liked but it's still better than the back yard! Life is about making due with what we have.
    Absolutely agree. I am not going to let cramped work space interfere with this project. Oh, I do have a series of racks attached high on the walls. That is where all the Coupe boxes are. They just fit on those racks. Well, everything but the IRS pumpkin. No safe way to get it up there.

One side of the garage has the driveline being built in it, the other with the car on the lift. I raise the lift when I need to park my old Mini Cooper in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update

THE GARAGE IS COMPLETE!
    Outside 1 Nov 30.jpgOutside 2 Nov 30.jpg

Its 20 feet deep by 22 feet wide. The walls are ten feet high with the peak at 13 feet.
    Back wall Nov 30.jpg

I had the 8 foot wide rollup door and the pedestrian door offset so that I would have a wall free to install benchwork, cabinets and a compressor.
    Inside wall Nov 30.jpg

My thought process was that this space was not going to be a two car garage but a dedicated build spot/storage for the coupe. I went with the oversize rollup door figuring I could possibly install a lift with room on both sides to work and no garage door rail being in the way. A lot of pictures I see of installed lifts have them right tight against the wall so that they can keep the space as a two car garage. IMO it doesn't leave any space to work in on the wall side. With the 13 foot high peak I should be able to hoist the body up out of the way on the pedestrian side and work under it with out it being in the way. Any thoughts?
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

46. Likes CB_83 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update 2

My Eastwood Pro Flaring tool arrived today! Very pleased.
    Eastwood Pro Flaring Tool.jpg
    Scott Pregont
    My Albums

Post Thanks / Like
    garage looks similar to mine. stored the nose and body on one side, boxes and stuff under it. I had plenty of room to work around the car. Good luck. Doug
    whole garage small..jpg
    20190703_141111.jpg

49. Likes CB_83 liked this post
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast