FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Coupe Gen3 Coyote and TKX Transmission Mount and drive line alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Gen3 Coyote and TKX Transmission Mount and drive line alignment

Installing a Gen3 Coyote and TKX transmission in a Coupe.

My transmission mount did not come with the transmission mount plate that attaches to the polyurethane transmission mount:

Screenshot_21-4-2024_111152_.jpeg

I was told by FFR that it is not needed and not everyone uses it. The manual calls for it and all the posts and videos I have seen use this plate and spacers. Are people finding it is not used when putting in a TKX?

Also, the plate has slotted holes to allow adjustment left/right and without this plate the position is fixed. I maybe overthinking this (ok, I know I am) but when I look at the alignment from the center of the drive shaft adapter on the differential to the centerline between the slotted holes on the frame transmission plate (black line) is approx. 12mm offset form the centerline of the differential square to the frame (yellow line and T-square) which just doesn't look right to me.
    IMG_6034.jpgIMG_6035.jpeg

Sorry if the images are sideways, the original pictures aren't and I can't figure out how to rotate them on the post.

Before test fitting the engine, I would like to get clarification on this if possible. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try flipping the plate. Or rotating it. Slots are not in the center on purpose.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Try flipping the plate. Or rotating it. Slots are not in the center on purpose.
    Mike
    Yes, the slots are offset to one side but if I flip or rotate the plate the alignment difference is significantly larger, so I believe the plate is oriented correctly and is how the manual shows it. Since the transmission mount plate that attaches to the polyurethane transmission mount has horizontal slotted holes, I was curious if the adjustment available with those would help true up the alignment.
    Screenshot_21-4-2024_111152_.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    The piece you point to in your first picture is not needed. That is where you would place spacers to raise the transmission if you desire.
    The bottom plate is correctly oriented. No need for any adjustment as the u-joints take care of the alignment.
    John
    Gen 3 Coupe #334 received 11/4/21. Coyote, IRS, TKX, Wilwoods
    '02 GT donor, 4.6 sohc, Received #5488 on 5/29/06. 3-link, ps, pb. Hoosier Cobra member (Hoosiercobra.com)

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did this this weekend and it went right in - you don't need that piece...

and... yes you are over thinking it since all those pieces go in after the engine install anyway - while you are figuring it out you can support the rear of the transmission with a strap to the roll cage. Also if you have a gen3 and tkx, this isn't a new configuration - not sure what info you need for a test fit - but we can save you a lot of work if you need info... should be no reason to test fit the engine unless you are just interested in seeing it in the car....it will slow you you down though
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 04-22-2024 at 07:15 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    I just did this this weekend and it went right in - you don't need that piece...

and... yes you are over thinking it since all those pieces go in after the engine install anyway - while you are figuring it out you can support the rear of the transmission with a strap to the roll cage. Also if you have a gen3 and tkx, this isn't a new configuration - not sure what info you need for a test fit - but we can save you a lot of work if you need info... should be no reason to test fit the engine unless you are just interested in seeing it in the car....it will slow you you down though
    Erik, thanks for the response. The reason I was thinking of doing the test fit is because visually the frame bracket mounting slots are offset from the center line of the drive shaft adapter on the differential. Without the bracket and spacers available I thought I may be limited in any height adjustment if needed. It looks like the drive shaft will be offset a bit left to right, so I wanted to be able to keep the vertical angle to a minimum. Since yours installed great I will hold off and hopefully put the engine in once and only once. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Shu View Post
    The piece you point to in your first picture is not needed. That is where you would place spacers to raise the transmission if you desire.
    The bottom plate is correctly oriented. No need for any adjustment as the u-joints take care of the alignment.
    Thanks, thanks for the input. Just wanted to check with y'all to make sure I wasn't heading for a problem down the road.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCCORMICK View Post
    Erik, thanks for the response. The reason I was thinking of doing the test fit is because visually the frame bracket mounting slots are offset from the center line of the drive shaft adapter on the differential. Without the bracket and spacers available I thought I may be limited in any height adjustment if needed. It looks like the drive shaft will be offset a bit left to right,
    It will be offset a little bit but it isn't anything to be concerned about.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

9. Likes AMCCORMICK liked this post