Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Big Block Suspension recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Big Block Suspension recommendations

I have a MKIV complete kit with a 390FE and to get the ride height close to 4.75 inches I had to preload the front coil overs quite a bit. With about 5,000 miles of two lane road experience in southern West Virginia I am getting comfortable with driving the car and I’ve noticed the when I make a hard turn and hit a dip in the road I can sometimes smell rubber from the tire rubbing the suspension.

So my plan for this winter is to replace the existing 8 inch 500 lb springs with 9 inch 550 lb springs to gain back some suspension travel and install anti sway bars on the front and rear.

Any thoughts or recommendations

Thanks

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    ooops duplicate.
    Last edited by CraigS; 12-05-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to 600-650. Do some carefull measuring before going to 9 inch. I 'think' it will be OK but.....Forte has front swaybars in 3 different thicknesses. I would go w/ the 7/8. VPM has a fantastic 3 link bar.
    http://www.vpmcobras.com/
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    I have a MKIV complete kit with a 390FE and to get the ride height close to 4.75 inches I had to preload the front coil overs quite a bit. With about 5,000 miles of two lane road experience in southern West Virginia I am getting comfortable with driving the car and I’ve noticed the when I make a hard turn and hit a dip in the road I can sometimes smell rubber from the tire rubbing the suspension.

So my plan for this winter is to replace the existing 8 inch 500 lb springs with 9 inch 550 lb springs to gain back some suspension travel and install anti sway bars on the front and rear.

Any thoughts or recommendations

Thanks

Rick
    4.75 in ride height is a little high. Perhaps the tire rub is with fender and can be addressed with more backspacing.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Craig/Steve

Thanks for your input

I checked the coil overs today and it looks like the nine inch springs will work and leave about one inch of adjustment to lower the ride. I had about one inch of preload on the 500 lb springs and the ride height has dropped to about 4.25 inches so I’m hoping that the 550 lb nine inch springs will work without having to preload the springs because I like the ride with the 500 lb springs
    I also inspected the front wheel wells and I couldn’t locate where the tire was rubbing except for a small spot on the F panel

I’ve looked at the VPM bars and will install them on the rear I’m leaning towards the FFR sway bar for the front

Thanks again

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 12-06-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick,

Your car looks great! I live in Fayetteville. I would love to see your car and see how you built it.

Thanks,
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Len

I can send you a pm with my email address and we can exchange information

Thanks for the compliment on the Car I like it but some of the folks here really have some nice looking cars with much more detail than I was able to put into mine

I did all of the work on mine by myself except for the body work and paint this was my first build and I learned a lot from the experience

I have it up on jack stands for a while but would love to get with you when the weather breaks and we can talk cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rick,

Sure pm me with email address. I understand the various details some are able to put in these cars. Love to check it out anytime.

Thanks,
    Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer