FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas on Creative Drivetrains?

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can give it a couple years you should be able to pick up one of these cheap. I would just stake out a cars and coffee with a flatbed and you'll have a donor by lunch time.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-ford-m...pow-1822072045

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDSLPWR View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with Cummins' crate engine lead today (Steve Sanders). He seemed to think the R2.8 Crate Engine would more than suffice based on the MkIV Roadster's light weight. And while some may poo-poo the idea of a turbodiesel in a FFR, you've got to admit that trading unworldly, neck-snapping acceleration for a 5sec 0-60mph and 35+mpg - while still keeping the handling qualities and looks of the Roadster - isn't a horrible compromise. I believe the automotive enthusiast community would look twice if this option existed.
    That could be an interesting combination. You won't get the sound of a small or big block that everyone seems to love, but the novelty alone would make me stop and look while at a car show. Knowing diesel tuning, you could always turn up the boost and get more torque out of it too.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion, but that's what you asked for.

If you want to be really creative, build a hotrod. That is what they are all about. FFR hot rods have real performance. They are not the typical all show and no go like most of them. I think hot-rodded Cobras are a bit of an abomination. It is the quickest way to go from "replica" to "kit car". FFR spent years to get the opinion going the other way.

You mention autocross. Keep the car light. A Viper V10 is a big heavy truck engine. An FE would also have the weight penalty. These cars need to be rear weight biased. That is why the engine so far back to begin with.
    A diesel in a Cobra? Really? I know some people just love doing weird engine swaps. However, it would be terrible for autocross. You would be shifting a lot, which is a disaster. The last thing these cars need is more torque down low. Traction is always an issue, which makes power coming on a little higher in the RPM range more usable in these cars. The first thing I look for on an autocross course is where is the earliest point that I can get out of first gear. The car is evil with 1st gear torque, going on or off the throttle. I see a lot of downside, with no upside besides fuel mileage. But, why would you care about that in a Cobra?

The Coyote is a fine engine, but they are physically HUGE for the displacement. They do fit, and all of the installation issues have been figured out. Then there is the tried and true SBF in whatever size you want / need / can afford. Light weight, lots of power, relatively inexpensive. If you want to make it a little more exotic and want EFI, put stack injection on it.

You mention "low configuration effort", that 100% pins you to a Ford V8. Well, you do want a Cobra, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    A twin turbo 289.. High RPM lowish weight...great power.. small package good sound with right sidepipes

Post Thanks / Like
    rotary engine?
    Gilroy, Ca
    Dreaming of the MK4
    Purchasing the kit within the next 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
    A twin turbo 289.. High RPM lowish weight...great power.. small package good sound with right sidepipes
    That could be interesting. A good combination of not too far from the Cobra box, with a little exotic flare. Room in front for the snails and plumbing.

Rotary? A Cobra sitting there going rapp-pap-pa-pap-pa-pap-pap. That's just wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know I'm getting a little off on a tangent from the original post, but all this talk about a diesel makes me wonder about that new F150 diesel coming out this year. Perhaps something for the FFR pickup, maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Avalanche325: Great input, thanks. Much of your comments are in contradiction to my ideas and direction, but the relevant information is exactly what I'm looking for.

I can empathize with the idea that modding a Cobra feels abominable. They're a very tried-and-true combination with very defined identity of V8 gas engines. You also have a point about fuel economy in a Cobra - who cares? True that. Guess my idea is a "What if? Imagine great performance AND 35mpg." I understand that a population might wrinkle their nose and say "Why? Just leave it alone." The looseness associated with FFR's 33 Hot Rod (and truck - thanks jceckard) makes a potential diesel install more palatable in that chassis.

I'd have thought the diesel's long, flat torque curve would -reduce- the amount of shifting required on an autocross course and, thus, possibility for traction loss. Get up and out of first, then run the course in 2nd relying on that big fat torque curve, maybe upshifting for a straightaway. Maybe I've got dated perceptions of peaky, high rpm gas engines or something. I certainly admit to knowing nothing about traction with these cars.

Lightness is desired; the V10 idea's cool, but not in keeping with the desired objective.

And I suppose you're right about pinning myself into a V8 with low configuration (fabrication) efforts. And stack EFI, nice touch.

Thanks for the input; I appreciate it.

-Twin Turbo 289 - nice, but probably beyond me right now.
    -Rotary - I can wander from an original Cobra, but I'm not sure I can wander that far. Still, I like the concept!

Arrowhead: that's pretty funny.
    "Time spent in recon is seldom wasted."

Post Thanks / Like
    Just have to love twin turbo's . . .

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    Just have to love twin turbo's . . .
    Doc
    Holy Shnikes. Your car's like Darth Vader - sinister, rooted in good, but nearly nothing left from stock!
    Don't get me wrong, though - I'm in complete admiration of the work you've done. Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Diesel power?

I see two problems here. One is weight, how much does that little Cummins weight? The other problem is the 3,000 RPM redline, gearing would be difficult.

Just thinkin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be a 2.7L ecoboost or the 3.5 ecoboost from an F150. can be tuned up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    My opinion, but that's what you asked for.

If you want to be really creative, build a hotrod. That is what they are all about. FFR hot rods have real performance. They are not the typical all show and no go like most of them. I think hot-rodded Cobras are a bit of an abomination. It is the quickest way to go from "replica" to "kit car". FFR spent years to get the opinion going the other way.

You mention autocross. Keep the car light. A Viper V10 is a big heavy truck engine. An FE would also have the weight penalty. These cars need to be rear weight biased. That is why the engine so far back to begin with.
    A diesel in a Cobra? Really? I know some people just love doing weird engine swaps. However, it would be terrible for autocross. You would be shifting a lot, which is a disaster. The last thing these cars need is more torque down low. Traction is always an issue, which makes power coming on a little higher in the RPM range more usable in these cars. The first thing I look for on an autocross course is where is the earliest point that I can get out of first gear. The car is evil with 1st gear torque, going on or off the throttle. I see a lot of downside, with no upside besides fuel mileage. But, why would you care about that in a Cobra?

The Coyote is a fine engine, but they are physically HUGE for the displacement. They do fit, and all of the installation issues have been figured out. Then there is the tried and true SBF in whatever size you want / need / can afford. Light weight, lots of power, relatively inexpensive. If you want to make it a little more exotic and want EFI, put stack injection on it.

You mention "low configuration effort", that 100% pins you to a Ford V8. Well, you do want a Cobra, right?
    SBF (lots of size/power options) has my vote too, except I'd add Webers if you wanted something different. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the Chevrolet Performance CT 525. Quality 525 HP engine for $7500.
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    Diesel power?
    I see two problems here. One is weight, how much does that little Cummins weight? The other problem is the 3,000 RPM redline, gearing would be difficult.
    Just thinkin'
    Quoted weight is ~500lb, so not excessively greater than a V8.
    Gearing would certainly be different than norm.

The more I investigate, the more a Cummins doesn't fit the Mk IV Roadster. Based on current market options, the most easily matched manual transmission is a T56. But chances are, it's not a proper fit. This combination is easily adapted to the '33 Hot Rod or '35 Hot Rod truck, though, which -truthfully- feel more natural.

Aw, hell. Maybe I'll throw in a Motus V4 and call it a day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12