BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rockauto...

Post Thanks / Like

Rockauto...

No phone number for customer service. I hope you like email!

Here is how they're willing to treat customers over SIX DOLLARS in parts...

Ordered some parts that didn't fit, was told they were for NA cars and I that I ordered the wrong parts. Except that my original email included a screenshot of the invoice for part numbers...and included "2006 SAAB 92-X H4 Turbocharged" in the grab.

Got a "sorry for your luck, order the right parts, ship the old ones back at your expense if you want a refund, and MAYBE we'll issue one in a few days...for the parts only."

Replied pointing out their mistake and articulating (best I could) my disappointment. Six days, no response. One last try this morning before I start spending more of my money at my local shop. Best part? MAYBE six dollars worth of wheel seals. Less than that for them. Cost me 35 at the local shop, but at least they worked with me to get the right parts. They had the same seals as RockAuto with the same application mistake. But didn't imply I'm an idiot.

Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys, most disappointing adventure ever. Their ultimate position is that for some reason, my turbo car has non-turbo axle bearing carriers. Thus, they sent the right parts for a turbo and I ordered the wrong parts for MY turbo car. Because some guy at WSJ said so. Why is this ridiculous?

Because I sent them links (included at the end) that show them even if I DID have the wrong carriers, they are exactly the same for NA and turbo cars according to the company that BUILT them and the largest Saab parts distributer I could find. I even included a link to a reputable auto source that the Saab is, in fact, a WRX and that my secondary parts source is accurate and legitimate.

I asked for a small discount on my next purchase ($10 bucks...6 for parts, 4 for my time and aggravation...and they didn't even offer me 6) and was essentially told to go pound sand. I can still return them if I pay for shipping, which will net me approximately a negative dollar. If this were a clutch, I'd be stuck taking a loss on shipping two ways because I'd actually get something back.

I didn't go this far because I care at all about $6. We all know I'm going to buy more than six dollars worth of parts I don't need (see my question on the sway bar, looks like I have 15 bucks in mounts I won't be able to use). But when I alerted them to a part problem, they blamed me. I wanted to know why, and whether I could trust them with future transactions. The answers are "they don't care", and "no". I left this post for community awareness, as I have seen them advertise here in the past.

https://saabpartsdistribution.com/pa...iagram=7321640
    https://saabpartsdistribution.com/pa...iagram=7321640
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...089/saab-9-2x/
    https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...8419FE011.html
    https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...8419FE011.html

Post Thanks / Like
    RockAuto-Good for looking up parts (except maybe in your case)
    Amazon-Usually cheaper, always faster.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    This was a concern of mine almost a year ago and everyone thought I was just blowing wind! They'll never get another dollar from me!

Post Thanks / Like
    glad you posted this. I was going to do a full power steering system with them. I then thought if I have a problem I may be left to fend on my own. I am going to do my system from a local autoparts store. If it fails I can go back to the store for a replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned a great deal so far during my build (818S) - one thing that I have really come to appreciate is the niche of local automotive parts dealers and specialized services that are available in my area. Granted, this may not be the case in some of the more rural locations but the ability to develop a personal relationship with the guy/gal that can get you parts or services goes a long way.

Waiting for my 65 Coupe nskaats's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used Rock Auto a handful of times over the years and haven't been terribly impressed. Shipping times were almost always wrong, occasionally the parts were wrong (and you get zero help on that end). I don't feel they're worth the aggravation. I try to support local as much as possible. There's a lot to be said for customer service.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can say in general that I've been satisfied with my experience at RockAuto...but then, they've never f'd up. I wasn't going to bump this thread, but since it's generated some interest....

I ended up calling WJB after searching through THEIR parts listing. The interchange list that they got appears to be wrong, and they are investigating (supposedly). Super nice guys, very helpful, agreed that I could be right. Ultimately, I'm not sure how much effort they'll put into this, as I'm talking about an 11 year old model that wasn't very...plentiful...to begin with.

The problem seems to be that somebody listed parts for the STI as the same for the 92X Aero, and the 2.5i as the same for the 92X Linear. So the Aero has the wrong parts from the get-go (STI was never rebadged as a Saab).

They made the mistake of non-turbo/turbo instead of the actuality of non-turbo/turbo/BIGGER turbo.

RockAuto won't do anything for me, but as soon as (if) I get confirmation from WJB, RockAuto will certainly get a big fat "I told you so."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those that know me and know what I do realize I am a bit biased :>) I believe in supporting your local stores versus on-line purchases. Amazon is trying desperately to break into the auto parts world and are negotiating with local chain stores for immediate pick up and possible delivery. This would solve the wait a day or more for your parts. Waiting a day or more may work for the individuals but they need to figure out how to appease the shops. If they have a car on the lift and it needs a part, they need it asap to free up the lift.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    No joke. For a short while I worked part time (3rd job) at a machine shop, and NAPA always had a guy (or gal) ready to drive some parts over for us.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, whatever happened to that guy who knew every part and could match anything to whatever you needed... Oh ya that's when there were only three car company's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    LOL, whatever happened to that guy who knew every part and could match anything to whatever you needed... Oh ya that's when there were only three car company's.
    Yeah, maybe they can't do that anymore, but my local guys helped me go through a bunch of boxes of wheel seals trying to figure out which ones might work. Spent maybe a half hour back there with me. Can't buy that on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say that RockAuto helped me today. I was about to order some new brake calipers for the Hot Rod from Summit Racing and decided to check Jegs for the price. Found they were a bit cheaper so I did a quick Google search and found they were even cheaper on RockAuto. I pointed it out to Summit and they price matched for me. So RockAuto saved me $40.00 today.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny, I read this $6 rant probably the first day it was posted. Rather than posting, I remember thinking to myself "don't bother, it will drop off the forum and into obscurity by tomorrow". I always get a kick out of those whose anger takes over and somehow masks itself as some sort of "community service" message. I've been buying parts from Rock Auto for close to 20 years. I get alerts from them via e-mail when closeout parts, for the vehicles we own, go on sale at ridiculously low prices. I've ordered a wrong part from them in the past (it was completely my fault). I was ordering brake pads, for the sister in laws Jeep, and inadvertently ordered the rear brake pads instead of the front pads that I needed. When I caught MY error, I emailed them for a return and they turned the pads around in transit. They refunded the entire amount and I ordered the ones I needed instead. We own two local businesses in the city we live and I try to use local vendors when I can. I do however order auto parts and other things, including electronics, online. I buy from Rock Auto because the local vendors can rarely, if ever, match the closeout prices I get from Rock Auto. I also know my vehicles, in that, if I'm ordering parts I have researched many other avenues to verify the part I am ordering (if there is a question) is the part I'm looking for. I do this even when I buy parts locally because "year, make and model" doesn't always apply. Let's just say, if I ordered $6 in parts and the parts were wrong because the manufacturer (and not the parts house) did not identify the proper part # for the application, I sure the hell wouldn't start a thread, on a public forum, ranting against the parts house. Yes, I read that part.

Tell you what. PM me your address and I'll send you the $6. I've certainly paid substantially more to customers in the past who are not satisfied, regardless of how hard you try to please them.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    It's funny, I read this $6 rant probably the first day it was posted. Rather than posting, I remember thinking to myself "don't bother, it will drop off the forum and into obscurity by tomorrow". I always get a kick out of those whose anger takes over and somehow masks itself as some sort of "community service" message. I've been buying parts from Rock Auto for close to 20 years. I get alerts from them via e-mail when closeout parts, for the vehicles we own, go on sale at ridiculously low prices. I've ordered a wrong part from them in the past (it was completely my fault). I was ordering brake pads, for the sister in laws Jeep, and inadvertently ordered the rear brake pads instead of the front pads that I needed. When I caught MY error, I emailed them for a return and they turned the pads around in transit. They refunded the entire amount and I ordered the ones I needed instead. We own two local businesses in the city we live and I try to use local vendors when I can. I do however order auto parts and other things, including electronics, online. I buy from Rock Auto because the local vendors can rarely, if ever, match the closeout prices I get from Rock Auto. I also know my vehicles, in that, if I'm ordering parts I have researched many other avenues to verify the part I am ordering (if there is a question) is the part I'm looking for. I do this even when I buy parts locally because "year, make and model" doesn't always apply. Let's just say, if I ordered $6 in parts and the parts were wrong because the manufacturer (and not the parts house) did not identify the proper part # for the application, I sure the hell wouldn't start a thread, on a public forum, ranting against the parts house. Yes, I read that part.

Tell you what. PM me your address and I'll send you the $6. I've certainly paid substantially more to customers in the past who are not satisfied, regardless of how hard you try to please them.
    So, I guess your experience negates everyone else's? My case amounted to over $400 in parts, which I had to absorb. Rock Auto accepts no blame for sending the wrong part, even when the right part number was used. That's what I'm talking about. You go ahead, but my money is staying in my pocket w/regards to RA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    So, I guess your experience negates everyone else's?
    Absolutely not. But obviously your experience discounts mine since your's was negative. Oh, the irony.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankeeski, you don't have to agree with me, either. My first post was my rant - plain and clear - not disguised as anything. If I'm not allowed to rant, the moderators can remove it.

The second post was to let everyone know that they sent me the wrong part because they had the wrong part listed for my car, basically called me a liar until I showed them the screenshot of the car they say it should fit, and when that failed concluded that I had a special or modified vehicle with NA hubs on a turbo car...like that makes any sense. When I figured out that they had the wrong parts listed and DEMONSTRATED it with manufacturer part numbers, they STILL told me to pound sand.

Super glad they hook you up all the time. Read above that a) I've generally been satisfied with RA, b) I wasn't going to bump this thread either, c) I'm not alone in getting wrong parts and no help, d) I hadn't figured out that the part problem wasn't RockAuto's fault when I started the thread. Treating me like an idiot, though, IS their fault.

My first post, that you seem to disapprove of, was shortly after I had learned that my local shop had parts with the same mistake, and thought they had both made the same mistake. Yeah, call me a little "slow" if you want to, but I'm not stupid. And RA treated my like I'm stupid. I'm sure you've spent a lot more with them than I have, since I haven't shopped them for 20 years, but I've spent enough hundreds that I'd like at least some modicum of respect from them.

Thanks for trying to make this about the $6, despite my acknowledgement that I've already wasted more than that, at my error, and I'm ok with it. I also acknowledge that I'm going to waste more than that before I'm done. Keep your own $6 in your pocket, thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's safe to say that the parts business is a treacherous endeavor at best no matter if you walk in or order on-line. Fortunately the consequence in this case was only $6.00. Chalk it up to experience. Did you ever take a BS college course that you had to pay for and got nothing out of it? Same thing.
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    RockAuto royally jerked me around for far more than 6 bucks. They sent me the wrong parts and would not exchange them because I was barely out of the 30 day period. As you know in this hobby you order parts and it could take months before you actually install them. Their customer care is down right nasty. Beware.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a customer service number you can call - I have always had amazing service from Rock Auto 1-608-661-1376