Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Drivetrain Dimensions

Post Thanks / Like

Drivetrain Dimensions

just wondering if someone has dimensional drawings or sketches of a 3.6L or a 3.0L motor and a six speed transmission they'd be willing to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not here. But if there's interest (why would there be, we're not the ones designing the kit) I have a EJ20 long block sitting on an engine stand and a 5 speed transmission sitting in a shell with no exhaust in the way, I could measure those up the next time I'm out in the garage (last weekend in July).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got some offbeat ideas and a blank table napkin that needs to be scribbled on ... while we're all waiting
    Last edited by slopoke; 07-19-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to echo Dave here and say "have patience". I'm out of town this weekend for a wedding, but the weekend after that I'll be back to assembling the motor and if I remember (or am reminded), I'll take measurements then. You are following my "pre-build" blog, so you know what I'm talking about, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    beer,

you do realize the 2.0 and the 5spd do not share dimensions with the 3.0/3.6 or the 6spd right? just saying you taking measurements of your stuff does not answer any of the OPs questions...

my advice, start searching nasioc, there has to be something out there...
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I realize that. My post was less than clear. Just offering up what I do have.

Edit: during the design competition, some people wanted the 2.0/5-sp dimensions. I had a devil of a time finding very rough ones and NASIOC was not the source in the end. You can find them somewhere in one of my (too) many posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beerbaron I would love it if you made an accurate dimensioned drawing of the engine and transmission. I'll try and remember to remind you.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, no drawings, but think of this as a general "box" of the EJ205 as dressed in a 2002 WRX wagon.

16.25 inches from bell housing mating surface to front of accessory pulley.

31.5 inches edge to edge of timing belt covers (widest part of engine, non-negotiable - you need these and the timing belt essentially makes the engine this wide)

10.5 inches from center of crank to bottom of oil pan.

13 inches from center of crank to top of intake manifold/throttle body (+/- 0.5 inches depending on how much of the throttle body you include.)

My goal for tomorrow is to clean up the inside of the engine bay and bellhousing of my donor and get the motor back in. If I have the time, I will take measurements of the 5-speed transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for taking the time and trouble to measure and post ... could you include mounting positions when (if) you measure the trans? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mounting positions for the engine (I know it's not what you asked for, but I haven't been under the trans yet today, just cleaning the bell housing, maybe later).

Two engine mounts, 2.5 inches forward of the bellhousing mating surface, 7 inches out from centerline of motor. This is to the base of the stud, as best I can measure with a tape. This is only sort of relevant, because there is lot fore/aft dimension to build your own mounts. You'll see what I mean when I post the pictures.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I may have missed it but all the dimensions in the world are of little help without a REFERENCE POINT. I would suggest the center line of the rear wheel as being the meaningful reference point. If this is the zero point in the side and height axes, then all the other dimensions become something I can utilize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ol Pro - this is a discussion of the engine dimensions only, no reference at all to the chassis. My "zero point" has been the bellhousing mating surface and the centerline of the crank case (easy to see due to the split case design of the EJ engine).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll add in trans measurements as I take them (did not get under the car today), but those will again be in reference to the bellhousing mating surface at the centerline.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... works for me ... thanks again beerbaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Engine mount post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wanted to get an S54 to fit in this sucker. Not a chance...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gonna try to squeeze in an EZ36D and a 6MT ... we'll see ... If I have to scrap the idea, so be it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
    I really wanted to get an S54 to fit in this sucker. Not a chance...
    I really hope you're joking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    I really hope you're joking.

Well, I'm joking to the extent there's no way it will fit, and the trans issue.

However (keeping in mind I've owned 3 WRX from 2002, current have one too) I would love that engine in this car. A high-revving, N/A powerplant with a linear power curve is the way to go with a small, lightweight car. With the exception of the weight issue (iron block), it is one of the slickest power plants out there. Just an awesome motor. Plenty punchy off idle, linear power, great top end... I'd love to have it in an 1800 lb. car.

For all the same reasons everyone wants to see if the H6s will fit....the S54 is a gem, even today. 340 reliable N/A horsepower? 7.9k redline? Yes please!
    Last edited by prematureapex; 08-08-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK, just so I know which category of crazy you fit into. There's got to be some nice NA motors that aren't battle-ship-length I6s and can be connected to a FWD transmission..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeerbaron View Post
    OK, just so I know which category of crazy you fit into. There's got to be some nice NA motors that aren't battle-ship-length I6s and can be connected to a FWD transmission..
    Ahhh, but they won't rev like an I6. (yes, I drank the coolaid, but I'm hooked)

I'm sure you can make an adapter for an F20 or F22, not sure how the length on those is. Not too bad. I'd be worried about wanting more power.

There's been a guy on nasioc posting his boxster build, STi powerplant mated to the porsche trans. Could do the reverse I'm sure. But no one wants $5k engine prices.
    Last edited by prematureapex; 08-08-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm not mistaken, the EZ36D is only about 3/4's of an inch longer than a 4 cylinder and has about 260 hp, has good torque, but tops out at 6k rpm in stock trim .... not bad really when you think in terms of reliability

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a ton of 3.0 and 3.3 engines out there. The 3.6 is starting to pop up more and more. I'm sure if someone really wanted to put one in they could make it fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 305mouse View Post
    There are a ton of 3.0 and 3.3 engines out there. The 3.6 is starting to pop up more and more. I'm sure if someone really wanted to put one in they could make it fit.
    I haven't done any research on the topic, but anyone know if there's any power to be mined from a 3.3 or 3.6 with bolt-ons and a tune?

Post Thanks / Like
    check out Perrin's ... they turbo'd a 3.0 and got well over 600 hp out of it ... although I was told they have nothing for the EZ36D
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3.0 and the 3.6 are in the same family. They are supposedly only a bit longer than the EJ series 4 bangers. The 3.3 is basically a stretched EJ motor and is one whole 'cylinder' longer, about 4".

The 3.3 responds very well to tuning, and there is support out there from the SVX community.

The 3.0 and 3.6 are just beginning to see some development. All of the big number 3.0s and 3.6s so far have been essentially one-off efforts with almost no commercial parts available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
    check out Perrin's ... they turbo'd a 3.0 and got well over 600 hp out of it ... although I was told they have nothing for the EZ36D
    Ahh, that sort of defeats (my) purpose for using it. 300-350 will be plenty of power IMHO, but I wanted the N/A powerband. Not worth the crazt price difference between an aftermarket, turbo'd H6 and an EJ25.