Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jimland’s MK4 Roadster Build #9237

Post Thanks / Like

Jimland’s MK4 Roadster Build #9237

I’m a retired electrical engineer living in Prairieville, LA who has always liked exotic sports cars. I used to own a DeLorean for about 15 years and sold it in 2005 and shortly after regretted it. I’ve always loved the look of the Shelby Cobra so I told myself when I retired I would build me one. So I retired several years ago and started planning. My 31 year old son Ryan and I attended the Build School back in May of this year. My wife and I attended the FFR June 2017 Open House to see all the cars and try to decide what color I wanted. While I was there picked up some sun visors, windscreens and roll bar grommets at a great price. So I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the car on 10/23/17 and it was completed on 11/25/17. I took delivery on 12/11/17 which was the day before my birthday so that was a great present!

I’ve read many of build threads and have learned a lot especially from EdwardB, Wareaglescott and Jazzman’s build threads. I decided while I was at the Open House that I really liked the color and look of EdwardB’s car so I will be shamelessly copying his build. Being that I live in Louisiana, I figured I’m far enough away from Paul that our cars shouldn’t cross paths. I hope Paul believes in the saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

When they delivered my car, they were also delivering a MK4 in Baton Rouge which is about 10 miles away from me. I got the person’s name and contacted him and we plan on getting together to compare notes. Also, SVTFreak is in the same town as me and has been a big help with the planning and has offered to help me whenever I need it.

My POL list has about 20 items with the major items being the IRS Control/Toe Arms, Front LCA’s and Driveshaft. I just completed the inventory tonight and have about 10 minor items missing.

Here’s what I ordered:
    MK4 Complete Kit, Powder Coated Chassis, Body Cutouts, Leather Seats, IRS, GPS Gauges, 17” wheels/tires, wiper kit, assembled louvers, battery cut-off switch, front & rear swaybars, single chrome roll bar, and the Coyote installation kit.

I will be installing a Gen 2 Coyote with a TKO600 with external hydraulic clutch. Ordered a power steering rack with offsets from Breeze and will be installing a hydroboost power brake system from Forte. Back in July, I picked up a IRS sub-assembly from Midway Mustang in Iowa that came from a salvaged 2016 Mustang GT that had 12,000 miles. It has a 3.73 Torsen differential which is what I was looking for since I might try doing some autocrossing. Paid $900 plus $200 shipping.

So I’ll do my best to keep this thread updated. I’m not the best at writing a lot, so it might be more pictures than words! I know there is a lot of experience on this forum and any feedback on this build will be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have the time, a solid game plan and a supportive spouse AND you were smart enough to involve her in the color choice. You even know how to post photos already. You are way, way ahead of the curve.

Look forward to seeing your progress. I'd say have fun but I know you already are.

-Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome to the club!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, I'm always amazed of the number of engineers that are here on the forum, seems like they are among the best builders too. One great thing about this forum is that people freely share their ideas and methods on how to make these projects better and I for one pick the best ideas that will best serve my own build. Look forward to follow your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas and Happy New year all rolled into one! Welcome to the group. You'll find many great ideas here. I purchased #8955 289 as a retirement gift to self, tomorrow is my last day in the office! Am in the prime/block sand mode presently.
    Enjoy the build experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your kit delivery and upcoming build! I'm assuming we met at the 2017 FF Open House? Don't exactly remember, but met lots of people that day. Your build plan sounds great. Of course I don't mind if you copy some of what I did. Like myself and others who have built with a similar configuration, you're going to love it. If you do choose to go candy red like mine, looks great on the car. It's very rare when people look at mine that they don't comment positively about the color. What color to paint is one of the big build choices. Whatever you choose it will look great. You scored a very good deal on those IRS parts.

Enjoy the build, and we'll be following along.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome! Look forward to following along....
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to this great ... hobby .... avocation ... or just delirium. It will be a boatload of fun most of the time and when it isn’t, just let us know! We will cheer you right back into the garage!

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, sounds like a solid plan and a fun build. You guys and your awesome engines and budgets make me jealous.

The electrical engineering can come in real handy here. I dont have an EE but I have an Aeronautics Science bachelors that deals with a lot of math and engineering. I believe its helped me think around problems rather than get stuck. Especially on my donor/rebuild budget.

Good luck JIM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Look forward to following along. Enjoy the build.

Louisiana huh....be careful GoDadGo doesn’t show up on your front porch with some crazy PowerPoint encouraging you to drop a small block Chevy in! Haha. Just kidding Steve!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see another retired Electrical Engineer doing a build. I bought an un-assembled Mk3 about 2 years ago and have benefited greatly from this forum and many of the build threads. You will too. I've posted several questions and received answers/comments very quickly. I great bunch of folks. My chassis is complete, almost ready for go-karting. I've not done a build thread, but may start one as I venture into the body work. I look forward to following you thread.

Jim
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your build updates.
    I was at the open house also, and purchased the coyote powered “Velocity Red Mica MK IV” listed for sale there.
    FFR 7644 MK IV. Coyote 5.0, Boss 302 Intake, Tremec TKO600, 8.8 rear 3 link, 3:73, Koni's, Wilwood brakes, 17" Halibrands, Nitto NT555's, SS side-pipes. Velocity Red Mica, Dark Silver stripes. Painted striped dash. Heated Leather seats. Heat, defrosters, wipers. Hidden bluetooth stereo.
    A dream come true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and welcome to the family! I am honored that you found some of my build thread beneficial. I will follow your build thread with great interest. If there is anything we can do to help with your build process, please do not hesitate to ask.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like

1/2/18 Update to Jimland’s MK4 Roadster Build #9237

I've been slowly making progress. Got the body of the chassis, onto the body buck, then onto a trailer to finally get into my off-site boat storage. Just barely fit! For those interested, the MK4 body is about 12' 9" from the furthest point forward (front center) to the furthest point to the rear (left & right light pods). I had 13' to work with so 3" to spare!

I then proceeded with reinstalling the panels and drilling them before sending them off to powder coat. Got Russ Thompson's Drop Box and got it built and cleco'd in.

All the IRS components and Front LCA are on back order so only thing I was able to do was install the Front UCA.

I picked up this cheap oven from our local Habitat of Humanity ReStore for $40 to try my hand at powder coating the small steel brackets. I'm using the Eastwood Dual Voltage unit and once I got the air pressure right I was able to do a pretty good job and happy with how it came out.

This weekend decided to tackle the install of the differential. Made the bull pins as EdwardB suggested and decided to put my engine hoist to work as others have done. It actually was pretty easy and everything fit without having to resort to the bull pins.

Last edited by JIMLAND; 01-02-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    MK4 #9237 - complete kit, Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 12/11/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress.

Just a tip on the photos.
    I may be incorrect but it appears you are copy and pasting the "photo url" from the gallery section.
    If you copy and paste the "BB code" that is directly below that the actual picture will show up in your thread instead of a link to go look at the picture.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wareagle! How soon I forget ..... did it right on my very first post but then screwed it up on my 2nd post!

I was limited to 7 pictures so to continue with my last post:

Last night I mocked up the installation of the Forte Hydroboost for my power brakes. When I temporarily installed the splash guards to the F Panel, it appears to have a slight interference. Saw older posts about this problem but hadn't seen any lately so thought it might have been corrected. Talked to Mike this morning and he says he's has modified it to be as short as it can be and hasn't heard of any problems lately with it interfering with the splash guards.

QUESTION: Has anybody recently installed the Forte Hydroboost setup and found that it fit without hitting the splash guards?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Welcome aboard and congratulations on your kit delivery and upcoming build! I'm assuming we met at the 2017 FF Open House? Don't exactly remember, but met lots of people that day. Your build plan sounds great. Of course I don't mind if you copy some of what I did. Like myself and others who have built with a similar configuration, you're going to love it. If you do choose to go candy red like mine, looks great on the car. It's very rare when people look at mine that they don't comment positively about the color. What color to paint is one of the big build choices. Whatever you choose it will look great. You scored a very good deal on those IRS parts.

Enjoy the build, and we'll be following along.
    EdwardB, Yes we talked at the 2017 Open House but only briefly since you had lots of people waiting to talk to you. I did grab lots of pictures of your car that I show friends of what I hope mine will look like one day! Thanks again for you amazing build threads! I refer to it almost daily.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a similar small oven to powder coat small parts and have been very pleased with the results. I found a lot of good information on www.powdercoatguide.com. Just be sure to use a good respirator when spraying the powder.

Jim
    Purchased and un-assembled Mk3 in 2016. 5.0, Aluminum heads, Performer RPM Air gap, Quick Fuel 650 carb, BBK headers T5, 3.55 rear solid axle, Koni Shocks, PS with Hydra-boost. Also own two restored vintage Mustangs, two Model A fords, 1941 Chevy truck and several other hot rods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for a long overdue update. Making steady progress and will post lots of pictures with comments and a few questions. Again, thanks to EdwardB for putting together a detailed build thread that I have been following religiously. You will see many duplication's of his build in these pictures.

Dropped the engine in a couple weeks ago. First attempt went very smooth using the tie down strap to pull down the tail. One little problem was with the ratchet type strap I was using that there was no good way to release it slowly. You have to have someone holding the tail down when you release the ratchet and then you have to re-engage it again. The other problem was at the very end of this first attempt the PS rear engine lift bracket was going to hit the PS footbox. The bracket was tilted to much to the side so had to pull it back out, put it back on its stand and redrill the bracket so it was almost pointing straight up. 2nd attempt went quick and easy and dropped right in.

Here's some pictures from the front. I built brackets and using rivnuts mounted the Moroso Power Steering Reservoir and Overflow Tank and also the Triple CNC Reservoirs. The K&N Filter I originally got from Forte when I purchased the engine was too long (~7") and I had to swap it to a smaller K&N (~5") to fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's some pictures of the Forte fuel filter/regulator system installed. Really like it and saved lots of time not having to run hard line. Ran the line thru the transmission tunnel so fabricated a guard out of 1" angle iron to protect the line from the drive shaft.

Here's some pictures of the cockpit showing where I had to cut the tunnel brace to install the Pro 5.0 mid shifter. Decided to use the Hurst shifter handle and will modify it to drop it about 1". Using a Cobra shifter ball I got on Ebay that I really like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the pictures of the Russ Thompson Turn Signal unit I'm in the process of installing. Russ had to make a new bracket to mount it on the latest MK4 since FFR modified the steering bracket on the chassis. Had to drill a few holes to mount the new bracket but everything looks good.

Got the Coyote stainless steel headers that Georgie at GAS-N is now making. Looks really good and they installed very easy. The mounting holes on the headers have slotted holes so you can just start the bottom 4 bolts and then just drop the header onto the bolts and everything lines up easily.

Here's the hydroboost setup for the power brakes. Still in the process of running all the power steering lines.

And here's the clutch switch I made modifying the bracket FFR supplied for the cable clutch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shot of Coyote ECM with cables plugged in.

Picture of firewall on engine side with the Coyote PDB mounted with kill switch below and to the left of it. You can see where I installed the 12V distribution buss and 150amp fuse holder for the alternator. Followed EdwardB's install and it came out great.

Here's a picture showing the driveshaft loop installed and the modification to the E-Brake cables using the pulleys. One problem I had was the bolts to attach the driveshaft yoke to the differential pinion were bottoming out before they got tight. Found out the problem was FFR changed driveshaft suppliers and the driveshaft yoke I had was made of steel and was 1/4" thick compared to the 1/2" thick aluminum yokes they normally provide. So had to get FFR to send me some shorter bolts.

Here's the homemade fuel vent charcoal canister I made with Home Depot PVC pipe and fittings and Pet Smart activated charcoal bags.

Last edited by JIMLAND; 04-01-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, when you update you aren't messing around. You are really moving fast. Your build is very similar to mine except you just blew by me. What driveshaft hoop is that? I really like it and haven't ordered one yet.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great. Cant wait to see a first start video in the near future!
    One question - When you put the trunk floor panels in will you be able to access that fuel filter from below in case you need to service it? Hard to tell from the pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhunter View Post
    Wow, when you update you aren't messing around. You are really moving fast. Your build is very similar to mine except you just blew by me. What driveshaft hoop is that? I really like it and haven't ordered one yet.
    If comes from Metco Motor Sports, it was the MDL2500 driveshaft loop kit. When I contacted them they didn't have any in stock so had to wait a couple months before they made a production run. Happy with the quality of it and installed very easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Looking great. Cant wait to see a first start video in the near future!
    One question - When you put the trunk floor panels in will you be able to access that fuel filter from below in case you need to service it? Hard to tell from the pics.
    I've included a few pictures showing the room I have to get to it from below. Should be able to reach up between the rear differential bracket and the trunk floor panel. A little tight but should be able to get to it. Have it mounted with a screw and rivnut. Now that I looked at it again, I think I will go back and remove the rivet that is attaching the hose clamp on the line to the engine and install use a screw/rivnut to make it easier to pull the unit down to remove the lines. Thanks for getting me to think about this!

Post Thanks / Like

Jimland’s MK4 Roadster Build #9237 - First Engine Start

Did the first engine start today! Started right up and sounded great. Saw a little smoke coming off the engine but that was just burning oils off the block and stopped after about 10 minutes. Oil pressure was initially about 80-90 lbs and then as the engine warmed up it dropped to about 32 lbs at idle. If you rev'd the engine it would go up to about 80 lbs. Took about 10 minutes and the engine temperature got to about 180 degF and the cooling fan came on. Had the back end jacked up so shifted thru all the gears and the clutch and shifting seemed fine.

Here's a link to the start-up video: https://youtu.be/nNJwC6ncvZg

After running it about 15 minutes, I backed it up into the garage and while doing that the MIL light came on and indicated P0116 - engine coolant temp sensor 1 circuit range performance. Saw this thread from Oct 2016 that said I need to get my PCM re-flashed with an update.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ult-code-P0116

I got the engine in Jan-2018 so I would have thought the PCM I received would have already been updated. Is this a different problem?
    Last edited by JIMLAND; 05-20-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the engine start! You'll be go-carting soon!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...nice build thread and congrats on your engine start! One question. Regarding your powder coating. Were you able to get most of your panels done in that oven from a size perspective?

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the first start! Looks and sounds great. Always impressive to see how easily and well the Coyotes get going right out of the box. About the P0116 code, agree it sure seems Ford would have had this already fixed in your later purchase. But maybe it's something else or they're still selling PCM's without the change. Give the Ford Performance support line a call. They should get you fixed up.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-20-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Wow...nice build thread and congrats on your engine start! One question. Regarding your powder coating. Were you able to get most of your panels done in that oven from a size perspective?
    The majority of panels wouldn't fit into the oven so I sent them out to get powdercoated. I want to say it was about 20-25 or so panels I needed to get powder coated. So I used the oven for the smaller panels, FFR brackets, homemade brackets, etc which if I had to guess was maybe 20 or so items. The Eastwood powder coat kit was about $130 and got the oven for $40 at a repurpose store so about $170 invested. I'm glad I did it and can use it in the future for other home projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your first start! You're a little like me - six weeks or so on build log updates - but you're much quicker in getting things done!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMLAND View Post
    Thanks Wareagle! How soon I forget ..... did it right on my very first post but then screwed it up on my 2nd post!

I was limited to 7 pictures so to continue with my last post:

Last night I mocked up the installation of the Forte Hydroboost for my power brakes. When I temporarily installed the splash guards to the F Panel, it appears to have a slight interference. Saw older posts about this problem but hadn't seen any lately so thought it might have been corrected. Talked to Mike this morning and he says he's has modified it to be as short as it can be and hasn't heard of any problems lately with it interfering with the splash guards.

QUESTION: Has anybody recently installed the Forte Hydroboost setup and found that it fit without hitting the splash guards?

Could you provide a couple more pictures of the installed Forte Hydroboost/pedal kit? I am working through it now and think I have it mostly figured out but wanted to double check against yours.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw84 View Post
    Could you provide a couple more pictures of the installed Forte Hydroboost/pedal kit? I am working through it now and think I have it mostly figured out but wanted to double check against yours.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael,

I have lots of pictures of the setup so if you would PM your email address and let me know what areas you need pictures from I'll be glad to send you some.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jimland's MK4 Roadster - First Go-Kart Ride

Yesterday I took the roadster out for the first go-kart ride. It took awhile to get used to the sensitivity of the electronic throttle pedal on the Coyote but by the end I started getting used to it. Was limited to driving thru the subdivision that has a 25mph speed limit so only got it up to about 35mph otherwise the soccer mom's would have chased me down. All the gauges, power steering and power brakes worked great and had no leaks. Next is to finish wiring up the heated seats and then put on the body which hopefully will be in a couple weeks.

Here's a link to the video of the go-kart ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDyOdqATJ0o

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Now it's a car!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations From New Orleans!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim

Wow. The Go-Kart stage! I was on FFCars Website and I could not find you. Did you have any problems with the E-brake fitting?