BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 2017 Virginia Registration - I have plates!!!

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Virginia Registration - I have plates!!!

Well Everyone,

I can't say the car is graduated, because she is still in gel coat. Chassis 8980 showed up on November 24th (Thanksgiving day. And yes, we gave the Stewart driver a huge plate of Thanksgiving food for the road). On November 21st of this year, I sent my paperwork to the Virginia DMV. Today, I picked up my plates. Here is a write up of what you need for VA registration.

Step 1:
    Pour a glass of your favorite brown stuff. Tell your wonderful and supportive wife the next car you build will be in a two car garage. Not the one car you build it in. My back hurts.

Step 2:
    Put together your packet to mail to the headquarters. This will consist of pictures of the car, the ORIGINAL MCO (manufacturer certificate of origin), form VSA 17a, form VSA 22, a notarized statement of how you built the car (don't get crazy, mine may have been two paragraphs), copy of drivers license, receipts for the chassis, engine, transmission, and rear end (Basically, you have to send a copy of your invoice from FF when you ordered because your "frame" is in that), a check for the sales tax of the car (when I did this it was at 4.15%. And yes, you have to calculate it yourself), and a check for the inspection fee and I believe titling fee (it was $135). Since you have a VIN plate from FF, you do not need a VIN to be assigned to you. I'm not the DMV, so double check this stuff.

Step 3:
    Mail it. Pour more brown stuff.

Step 4:
    Receive call from a DMV law enforcement officer. They will set a day to come out and verify the at the VIN matches everything you submitted and that the car isn't a toilet bowl.

Step 5:
    Wait 24 hours. The next day to go to the DMV to get your plates. Now, here is where VA is wishy washy. They would NOT give me antique plates. My registration and title is model year 1965, but since it is a replica they told me (AND I CALLED EVERY DEPARTMENT EVER MADE IN THE DMV), that since it was not assembled more than 25 years ago, it can not have antique tags. Hopefully, you get lucky, or the law changes, or they also poured brown stuff.

Step 6:
    Leave with your plates. Rip a giant burnout because 'Murica.

Lastly, I do have something to keep an eye for and contact the DMV about if it doesn't change. When I log into my DMV account online, it says that emissions is due in year 2021. It is almost like it is being treated as a new car. I will report back on how this is resolved.

Hope this helps.

2. Thanks Aircontroller, akim thanked for this post
    Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!!!!

On the antique plates issue, not sure how it works in your state, but here in Illinois I had the same issue. But, once I had the regular passenger car plates, I just went back to the DMV and applied to switch to the antique plates and had no problem. Yeah, it meant I paid for the plates twice, but once I had the antique plates, I could run any 1965 vintage plate I wanted and just keep the IL issued ones in the car in the event I get pulled over. Actually tested that once and the officer wrote the warning using my replica '65 California manufacturing plate that was on all of Shelby's cars.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Congratulations!!!!

On the antique plates issue, not sure how it works in your state, but here in Illinois I had the same issue. But, once I had the regular passenger car plates, I just went back to the DMV and applied to switch to the antique plates and had no problem. Yeah, it meant I paid for the plates twice, but once I had the antique plates, I could run any 1965 vintage plate I wanted and just keep the IL issued ones in the car in the event I get pulled over. Actually tested that once and the officer wrote the warning using my replica '65 California manufacturing plate that was on all of Shelby's cars.
    Thanks for the insight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Congrats!!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's fantastic Scott! CONGRATS!
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Scottiec!! That's a great feeling but remember not to pour to much of the brown stuff until you get home from cruising and ripping giant burnouts. LOL
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Scott! I hope to be in your shoes this time next year.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Scott! Here’s hoping for a short winter so you can drive and drive and drive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CVOBill View Post
    Congrats Scottiec!! That's a great feeling but remember not to pour to much of the brown stuff until you get home from cruising and ripping giant burnouts. LOL
    Of course! Those don't mix!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I took it to work today. Got caught in the hail/snow! Had a salty messy ride home! The underside will be getting clean this weekend. Lots of salt. Will post pics

Post Thanks / Like
    The weather said 30% chance. They lied!

IMG_2099.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    The weather said 30% chance. They lied!

IMG_2099.JPG
    Awesome smile! You get 5 ATTABOYS!! Great pic TKS!!
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Congratulations ... I have my package ready to send to DMV Richmond with a few exceptions that you might be able to assist me with:

Form VSA-22 and VSA-17

Vehicle Information Year or Construction Date Field. Did you just put 1965?
    CURRENT VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN, if any). Did you put the frame number or just leave it blank?

Sales Tax: This is probably a stupid question ... but I am a little freaked out about dealing with DMV ... did you calculate your sales tax on the amount supported by your receipts?

How long did the whole process take from sending off to DMV Richmond to getting your plates?

With respect to Antique Plates my research is the same ... only issued to cars that are "real antiques". The other limitation is that the car can only be driven to and from shows, events or for maintenance.

What I did find out is that you can purchase "old VA plates" from 1965 and take them when you get your plates and register the car with those "old plates". You can source these on the internet.

Thanks and congratulations ...

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats. Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    Scott,

Congratulations ... I have my package ready to send to DMV Richmond with a few exceptions that you might be able to assist me with:

Form VSA-22 and VSA-17

Vehicle Information Year or Construction Date Field. Did you just put 1965?
    CURRENT VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN, if any). Did you put the frame number or just leave it blank?

Sales Tax: This is probably a stupid question ... but I am a little freaked out about dealing with DMV ... did you calculate your sales tax on the amount supported by your receipts?

How long did the whole process take from sending off to DMV Richmond to getting your plates?

With respect to Antique Plates my research is the same ... only issued to cars that are "real antiques". The other limitation is that the car can only be driven to and from shows, events or for maintenance.

What I did find out is that you can purchase "old VA plates" from 1965 and take them when you get your plates and register the car with those "old plates". You can source these on the internet.

Thanks and congratulations ...

Carl
    Carl,
    I just sent you a PM. Call me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Carl,

I just went through the process in June. Here is what I experienced. I did everything in person in the Richmond office. I had all my paperwork (VSA 22, 17, description of the build process). The car is registered as "1965 Factory Five Roadster" and is noted as a replica. The FFR build number is used as the VIN. They actually calculated the tax when I was there. The documents I submitted and the state used for tax calculation was the original FFR invoice and engine & transmission invoice from Gordon Levy (stage 5, Inglese stack, TKO 600). I included the title of the donor as supporting documentation on other parts (no tax involved). I wrote the check then and there. Next step was the inspection. The state uses select officers to inspect the car and confirm the VIN. It took about 2 weeks from the initial submission to get contacted by the officer. We scheduled the appt. for him to come by my house and inspect the build. Title was released within a matter of days. All told, I had tags within 1 month of my initial visit. The only hiccup was the inspector had the title in hand a week before I got it from him. Hope this helps. Good luck with your submission.

Powhatan, VA
    Last edited by ej95Cobra; 12-16-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ej95,

I just sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like
    Reply sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Got My Plates Today

I followed Scottie's instructions to the letter, except for Step 6 'cuz I have a Jeep & it was slushy raining out at the Fairfax Courthouse.

Regarding the Statement Of Construction, there's no need to write a whole lot. This is what I sent:

Notarized Statement of Vehicle Construction 2 Oct 18

This replica of a 1965 Shelby Cobra was sold as a kit from Factory Five Racing. The kit included the frame, body, and front end. The kit was assembled per the instructions in the 561 page assembly manual provided with the kit. All procedures were followed and all fasteners were torqued to specification with the appropriate tools. All parts for the build were new or refurbished to new condition. The engine, transmission, and rear axle are Ford parts purchased separately from Forte’s Parts Connection, a supporting vendor associated with Factory Five. All parts used to build this car were designed to operate together safely.

In my case it took six weeks to the day for a law enforcement officer to come out & make sure the photos I sent in looked like the car in my garage. Yesterday Officer Friendly (not his real name) spent about five minutes with me, handed me my title, a VA VIN plate with the F5 frame number on it, and a couple of rivets, and told me to use his rivets to fasten the VIN plate to some part of my car that was permanently attached. I put the VIN plate on the frame under the dash on the right side, matching the position where F5 etched their frame number on the left. He left before I could get out my drill.

This afternoon I went to the DMV, where the nice ladies tried their best to give me antique plates. They were thwarted, however, by the computer in Richmond, which knew I had a replica titled in 2018 rather than a 1965 car. When I pointed this out, they happily gave me regular tags.

So as of November 2018, follow Scottie's recipe and you'll be good to go.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    OUTSTANDING, John!
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

23. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Achieving This Major Milestone!

25. Thanks phileas_fogg thanked for this post