Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inertia Switch Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Inertia Switch Integration

The Holley Sniper EFI instructions state to go directly to the battery for power on the fuel pump and EFI computer for clean power (it has its own relay and fuse inline), if I do this doesn’t it bypass the inertia switch then? How should I keep the power clean & direct as suggested while integrating the inertia switch? Or am I missing something else here?

Thanks
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Wire the inertia switch between the fuel pump wire coming from the ground and the wire going to the pump itself. This way if it trips you don't lose power to your efi system but power is cut to the pump. I have a similar aftermarket efi system.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 04-15-2018 at 10:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JOP33 View Post
    The Holley Sniper EFI instructions state to go directly to the battery for power on the fuel pump and EFI computer for clean power (it has its own relay and fuse inline), if I do this doesn’t it bypass the inertia switch then? How should I keep the power clean & direct as suggested while integrating the inertia switch? Or am I missing something else here?

Thanks
    I'm not an expert, but I just spent a lot of time discussing a similar question for my FAST XFI Street EFI. What I learned is that the inertia switch wiring is a ground from the Ron Francis fuel pump relay. With the switch depressed, you complete the ground circuit and if the switch trips, continuity to ground is lost thereby turning off the fuel pump. The FAST XFI Street provides a fuel pump control wire that essentially establishes or breaks continuity to a ground circuit (negative control). For my system, I'll connect that negative control wire to the chassis ground side of the inertia switch. This way, the ECM is controlling when the pump runs by completing or breaking the ground continuity to the fuel pump relay and in the event the inertia switch ever gets tripped, it will do the same and shut off the fuel pump. I don't know how the Holley system works, but this may still offer you some useful information. I would think you could just take the relay-side wire from the inertia switch and connect it to the ground wire going into your EFI's fuel pump relay.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 12-17-2017 at 03:44 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I just spent a lot of time discussing a similar question for my FAST XFI Street EFI. What I learned is that the inertia switch wiring is a ground from the Ron Francis fuel pump relay. With the switch depressed, you complete the ground circuit and if the switch trips, continuity to ground is lost thereby turning off the fuel pump. The FAST XFI Street provides a fuel pump control wire that essentially establishes or breaks continuity to a ground circuit (negative control). For my system, I'll connect that negative control wire to the chassis ground side of the inertia switch. This way, the ECM is controlling when the pump runs by completing or breaking the ground continuity to the fuel pump relay and in the event the inertia switch ever gets tripped, it will do the same and shut off the fuel pump. I don't know how the Holley system works, but this may still offer you some useful information. I would think you could just take the relay-side wire from the inertia switch and connect it to the ground wire going into your EFI's fuel pump relay.

Dave
    Sounds very similar to the Holley set-up. Thanks guys for the input.
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    On another note, make sure to mount your inertia switch somewhere that you can fairly easily get to it. When my in-tank fuel pump failed (due to bad connections in the pump itself), my first assumption was that somehow the inertia switch had tripped. Fortunately, I mounted mine just under the right side cowl access panel. So it was easy to check - and figure out that wasn't the problem.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw here that the factory harness was wrong on the inertia switch, that you should use the center terminal instead of the 2 outside terminals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmish View Post
    I saw here that the factory harness was wrong on the inertia switch, that you should use the center terminal instead of the 2 outside terminals?
    My switch only has 3 terminals with the wires connected to the 2 outside pins, these are the correct pins to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    good follow up. I used a factory switch from a ford mustang and oriented it upright and wired it using the terminals specified by ford. I grounded one switch wire and the other wire went to the pump ground. Ii thank you all for setting me straight on the wiring.