Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  51
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narly1's Speedstar build

Post Thanks / Like

Narly1's Speedstar build

So the next phase of my project has been set in motion.

On Monday I paid my deposit on a Speedstar kit with a (selected by me) completion date of March 2023.

I've got a lot of garage clean-up to do in advance, hopefully that will keep me busy until then.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations... here, I hope, is a little motivation. This is one I transported not too long ago.

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

3. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. Erik did an amazing job on the new body!

Earl

5. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Domino Effect

So I've been off on holidays this past week and took it upon myself to work on cleaning/organizing/decluttering my 2-car garage. In the process I've come to the conclusion that I need a garden shed so all of the GARDENING stuff can gracefully exit the garage which is supposed to be for CAR stuff LOL.

At least 1/3 of 1 bay is occupied by these items. An additional third is stuff that needs to go one way or another.

So all in all I'll easily get 2/3 of a bay back by doing this.

I will say that I re-found a couple of things that will come in handy for the build:

4 wheels and tires that I can use as part of a "body buck on stilts". This will allow me to roll the body in and out of the garage while I work on the the chassis.

and

A bunch of pool noodles to use as frame protection.
    Last edited by narly1; 07-02-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's never too early to order that vanity plate. We wouldn't want somebody else to scoop it on us would we now?

20220708_155019[1].jpg

8. Likes WIS89, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    It's never too early to order that vanity plate. We wouldn't want somebody else to scoop it on us would we now?

20220708_155019[1].jpg
    Nice....

Ontario must have different rules. In SoDak I can't order a vanity plate for an unregistered car. I could order it for an existing car and then transfer the plate to the other car once it's registered.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a long time since I last updated this thread and for good reason. I've been patiently saving up my $$$ to fund this dream project. A few weeks ago I ordered the completion parts from Valins (albeit minus the brakes for now as the USD/CAD exchange rate is so poor) and in the past few days I paid for my kit in full. You need a paid in full invoice from FFR so you can apply for and have the necessary Transport Canada importation documentation when bringing the kit into Canada. Apparently they are running about 2 months to process these requests.

Since putting down my deposit last June the past 8 months have seemed like an eternity.

To say that I'm excited is an understatement!

The plan is to make the trip down to pick up late March/early April, so only another 1-1/2 - 2 months left to wait!

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 02-08-2023 at 09:01 PM.
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

11. Likes TxMike64, Jeff33Ford, 33fromSD, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's great Earl!!! Looking forward to seeing this build start!

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    That's great Earl!!! Looking forward to seeing this build start!

Steve
    LOL I was more expecting you to say "It's about time!" LOL

Thanks for being patient with me.....I've got lot's of ideas on my mind and hopefully enough tricks up my sleeves to make them reality.

Earl

14. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Transport Canada has gotten back to me in record time by all accounts. Their letter of importation authorization came today after submitting my application only 6 working days ago!

Here's hoping that March begins the trend of "going out like a lamb" sooner than later....it's not looking like it tonight here in southern Ontario Canada...we're supposed to get 15-25 cm of snow overnight!

Earl

16. Likes Just 1 More liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had a snow blitz a week ago as well, hope it's the last of it!

That IS darn fast for Transport Canada. Mine was pretty quick back in 2018 but if I remember correctly it was about 2 weeks....

So, you've been farting around with some stuff related to your build over the last couple of years, better get that info into this thread ASAP!!!
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so at Steve's request here are links to what I've done so far and the parts I've amassed for my build:

302 engine, 1st time build project for me (it runs!): https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...LIVE-SEE-VIDEO

I built a stand to run the engine on: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...e-Run-up-Stand

AOD transmission: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ep-myself-busy

Going with IRS option, hub carriers and new bearings: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...h-brand-to-use

Bought a Lentech 2200-2400 stall torque converter

Got a 3.55 limited slip diff with only 100 km on it.

Kootenai rear trunk reinforcement/lift kit: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...light=kootenai

The only "special" tools that I've bought so far were a shop press (already used it to push out the wheel bearing studs) and bag of 50 clecos + pliers.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 03-04-2023 at 10:52 PM.

19. Likes FF33rod, TxMike64 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW: Other auto-trans using builders (including Alan_C and Svtfreak) have strongly recommended using a torque converter with 3400 - 3600 - 3800 stall speed. The Hot Rod is so light that a lower stall is less driver friendly for street use. You might want to talk to the torque converter manufacturer about this.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    FWIW: You might want to talk to the torque converter manufacturer about this...

Keith HR #894
    That's exactly what I did Keith. I dealt with Chris at Lentech and ordered a torque converter for my specific 302 build and AOD transmission combination.

Based on the torque/hp dyno results from an almost identical build and predicted vehicle weight of 2200-2400 lbs he suggested their 7902-CONV-11SS which is 11.25", 2200-2400 stall speed, coupled spline unit.

$800 CAD later I hope Lentech knows what they're doing.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    FWIW: Other auto-trans using builders (including Alan_C and Svtfreak) have strongly recommended using a torque converter with 3400 - 3600 - 3800 stall speed. The Hot Rod is so light that a lower stall is less driver friendly for street use. You might want to talk to the torque converter manufacturer about this.

Keith HR #894
    Hey Keith, I followed that same suggestion for a 3500 stall converter on my 347/AOD build. I was extremely disappointed with the darn thing. It was like an old time burned up clutch trying to leave the line. I had a local guy build me one set at 2400rpm and could not have been happier. I believe that the 36-3800 range is probably a good range for a racing/drag strip setup but it is lousy for the street. my opinion, of course, is subject to interpretation based on how the car is used.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll anxiously wait for you to get it on the street and see how it works. I'm tearing down my car to have the chassis powder coated soon, so I have some time until I have to order my torque converter.

Keith HR #894

24. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tools....
    Hey Earl, as far as tools go....
    - buy a "gaggle" of 1/8" drill bits, tons of drilling to be done. You have a cordless drill?
    - I have no idea what FFR is shipping for a rivet gun these days but I didn't like the one that came in my kit. I bought a Stanley with swivel head. I also bought an air powered one but wouldn't say it was really needed. Drilling the holes are more of a pain in the butt than setting the rivets themselves.
    - Also bought a much better nutsert tool, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers
    Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Tools....
    For sure if there's one thing I hate more than dull drill bits, it's cheap *** ones that break or go dull if you even look at them wrong LOL. I need to make a trip down to Aircraft Spruce to get some glass microspheres for my DIY Lizard Skin paint so will grab a dozen or so #30 cobalt bits while I'm there.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 03-05-2023 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    For sure if there's one thing I hate more than dull drill bits, it's cheap *** ones that break or go dull if you even look at them wrong LOL. I need to make a trip down to Aircraft Spruce to get some glass microspheres for my DIY Lizard Skin paint so will grab a dozen or so #30 cobalt bits while I'm there.

Earl
    Earl, why #30 drills verse 1/8?

Also, regarding tools.

I used a battery powered drill for about 90% of the holes I drilled. The other 10% the drill wouldn't fit. I wound up getting a very compact 90 degree pneumatic angle drill from HF for those holes and still needed to cut down the drill bit to get into a few tight places.

Most of my riveting was done with a two handle tool but you will still need to use the one hand tool like the one supplied in the kit for the tight places.

Post Thanks / Like
    #30 bits are a hair larger than the 1/8" bits. Makes it easier to insert the pop rivet. Use a #10 for the 3/16" rivets.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Namrups View Post
    #30 bits are a hair larger than the 1/8" bits. Makes it easier to insert the pop rivet. Use a #10 for the 3/16" rivets.
    I realize that the #30 is .0035" larger, I thought there may have been some technical reason to use the larger drill. I had no issues installing my rivets with 1/8 or 3/16 drill bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
    I realize that the #30 is .0035" larger, I thought there may have been some technical reason to use the larger drill. I had no issues installing my rivets with 1/8 or 3/16 drill bits.
    Ya, you're probably right. Given that the rivet heads are aluminum going into steel they probably just yield to fit LOL. And they're a lot easier to come by at retail.

Once again I'm overthinking things LOL.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can get 6-packs of #11 and #30 drill bits fairly easily and fairly inexpensively, from places like Grainger, or that jungle website, or even aircraft spruce or aircraft tool supply.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the day has (almost) finally come. Today we set out on our trip to Wareham. I'm picking my kit up at 9 am tomorrow morning then high-tailing it home.

Wish us a safe and uneventful journey!

Earl

33. Likes Jeff33Ford, RoadRacer, TxMike64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy travels bringing the baby home.

Cheers, Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

35. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ask for a tour while you're there if they can. I got one when I picked up my kit. It was the day before last June's Open House. Seeing the cars in the showroom is awesome! May you have a great and uneventful trip except while your there of coarse!
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

37. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so back home after what was probably the longest day of driving in my entire life.

Friday started off with a 2 hr drive from our hotel to FFR. Then after loading up and leaving Wareham at about 10:45 it took us until just about midnight to get home. That included the usual fuel/bio break stops as well as pulling in off of the interstate for a proper sit down dinner in Rochester. The last 1/2 hr of the drive was slow due to very foggy conditions.

Some random thoughts:

RickyBobbie and the shipping dock crew were helpful beyond belief. They have seen everything in terms of loading for these kits and their experience is INVALUABLE! To that end my load made the long journey home without any shifting at all. The 6'x16' landscaper trailer and extended cab F150 was the perfect size for the load. We ended up standing the hood up vertically and strapping it securely to the beavertail ramp which worked out great. Hood sides got strapped crossways to the inside of front wall with just a bit of overhang.

The kindness and hospitality shown by everybody at FFR is another thing that sets this company apart.

Fellow FFR Speedstar builder DGC33 made the effort to come out and meet me at the plant which was very special. Thank you for that Dave!

I finally got to sit in the completed Speedstar and can confirm that this 6'3", 36" inseam builder fits in it.

Clearing Canada Customs was a breeze. Understanding the importation process and being able to confidently explain it to the customers officer really helps. So the moral of the story is have your documentation together and know what you're doing when you get there.

Having a great navigator and travelling companion along for the trip really helped. Thank you to my wife Monique for your support and help with this part of my journey.

Finally I slept more soundly last night than I have in a long time, so exhausted!

Next step unpacking and inventory!

Earl

39. Likes RoadRacer, Nigel Allen, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You thought you were excited during the pick-up phase of your journey ..... It gets better!!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

41. Likes narly1, Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a successful journey! So far so good. Inventory is a blast, haha! Let us know how the new system FFR uses works out. How long is your POL list? Hopefully shorter than the 1 1/2 pages of mine and that was just for the Stage 1 Hot Rod kit. 3 weeks till Stage 2. It's only a 50 mile trip for me.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

43. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so everything has been inventoried and short of a few wrong/missing items everything that I was supposed to be bringing home is here.

The POL list is also very short, just missing a few of the items currently known to be on backorder: steering column, steering shaft flange bearing 15.08" DD steering shaft, driveshaft/diff adapter, cockpit rear trim panel, floor foam core inserts, hood/trunk prop rods, door handle fastener pack, some push on trim, and the E-brake cable clevis.

Happily all of my IRS mounting hardware was there.

So here we go!

Earl

45. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Digging further than the documentation it seems I am missing more items beyond what the POL list + missing parts I found during inventory + Canadian completion kit items would account for.

E.g. I thought I would likely find the firewall sheet metal taped to the body/frame floor as they are bigger pieces but they were not there. Similarly the fuel tank stored in the trunk....also not there.

What I did find were 2 L-shaped fibreglass pieces. I have no idea what they're for, I've never seen them in any previous build posts/pictures. So guessing they are Speedstar specific.

And then it dawned on me that I don't have a build manual to refer to other than an e-copy of the generic 33HR one that I purchased a couple of years back!

Earl

47. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I got mine the firewall was in its own box along with a tube with all the fuel and brake lines. I had to wait for a couple months for the footbox pieces.

49. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK so I think we have it figured out that the Canadian completion kit includes a lot more items than what is shown on the list at https://www.factoryfive.com/wp-conte...red-canada.pdf

So standing down regarding my POL/MIK lists until the completion kit shows up.

I can still do a few things but not much, LOL.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Proof that you can always find something to do with the parts that you've already received while you wait for your POL items. I'm making it my goal to try and make some progress, however little, every day.

Tonight I ground down the heads on the rear wheel studs to clear the seals on the IRS hub bearings and pressed them into place.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Between yesterday and this evening I managed to cut the IRS knuckles down and install a new set of SKF bearing hubs into them. I didn't have a sawzall so I used my angle grinder....messy but got the job done. Used my belt sander to dress the cut surface, happy with the results. The 98 ft-lbs torque required for the bearing hub bolts was just about all I could muster with my breaker bar. Between that and the red Loctite they're not going anywhere. I went with new bearing hubs as I had no history on the ones that came with the knuckles. Replacing them is cheap insurance IMO.

20230406_215120[1].jpg

53. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just received word that the Canadian completion kit for my order will be here early next week.

What's even more amazing is that the POL associated with it is only 1 item!

Earl

55. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So POL and MIK bits have been trickling in over the past few days. U-shaped pad that goes on top of the waterfall, steering shaft bearing (still missing one), a few lock nuts and a biggie today, steering column, name plate and CoE documents.

So all of that has been inventoried and sorted as appropriate into the right box #'s.

Tomorrow is a big day, a skid with 350 lbs worth of Canadian completion kit items are being delivered!

Once I get that all inventoried it will be interesting to see what all is still missing.

Earl

57. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get the power steering? You only need one steering shaft bearing for PS. The motor mounts to where the other bearing would go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastertech5 View Post
    Did you get the power steering? You only need one steering shaft bearing for PS. The motor mounts to where the other bearing would go.
    No, I did not order power steering with the kit. I will likely be going a different route.

And thanks for the heads-up.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    So the completion kit came today. It's all been inventoried with only 1 POL item, that being the fuel tank vent gasket.

There does seem to be a mix up though in terms of what was sent for engine/transmission mounts & driveshaft vs what I need for my 302/AOD combination.

I'm sure we'll get that sorted out in short order.

Earl

61. Likes wrp, FF33rod liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast