Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Would like to build a Mk4 Roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to build a Mk4 Roadster

I am working on my "bucket list" and have owned a Cobra in the past. This time I would like to use as many 2018 Mustang components as I can. That includes the automatic trans. Will it fit the frame. If not why? What auto will work with 5.0 Coyote and fit the chassis? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to hear Factory 5 techs opinions. What are limiting factors? Frame width or maybe driveshaft length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vette40509 View Post
    I am working on my "bucket list" and have owned a Cobra in the past. This time I would like to use as many 2018 Mustang components as I can. That includes the automatic trans. Will it fit the frame. If not why? What auto will work with 5.0 Coyote and fit the chassis? Thanks.
    I'm not a FF tech, but here's some info. Ford says they are putting out a power pack with the 6 speed auto, to include the engine, trans, ECU, and stand alone wiring harness, just like they have for the five speed. But as of last month, my local Ford dealer was not able to order it. Should be soon, though. In the mean time, you can get a stand alone wiring harness from Power By The Hour, and use a stock ECU.

The 6 speed trans is bigger than other transmissions, mostly wider. You'll have to do some surgery to the trans tunnel to get it to fit. Only an inch here and there, nothing major. And you'll have to fab a cross member, or modify the FFR part. You'll also need to get a custom drive shaft made; also not a big deal.

You will not be able to find a shifter specifically for this 6 speed. You can modify a lokar floor shifter to work, as you only need Drive and Manual. You might be able to modify other cable shifters to work as well. The manual shift button is available from a number of companies. But one that mounts on the shifter would require some imagination. I decided to use an electronic shifter control from Powertrain Control Solutions. https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...utton_Shifter/ Paddle shifters are not yet available, as far as I know.

Again, I'm not a FF tech, but I hope that helps a little.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that helps alot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    You will not be able to find a shifter specifically for this 6 speed. You can modify a lokar floor shifter to work, as you only need Drive and Manual. You might be able to modify other cable shifters to work as well. The manual shift button is available from a number of companies. But one that mounts on the shifter would require some imagination. I decided to use an electronic shifter control from Powertrain Control Solutions. https://www.powertraincontrolsolutio...utton_Shifter/ Paddle shifters are not yet available, as far as I know.
    I think there's one available now. Any reason the one on page page 8 wouldn't work? http://lokar.com/catalog/#page=9

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, double post. Didn’t catch the message about mod review.
    Last edited by csmith; 02-04-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it should work pretty well.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s what I was hoping, thanks!