FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Galaxie / Country Squire with a Coyote swap???

Post Thanks / Like

Galaxie / Country Squire with a Coyote swap???

So I know that lots of FFR builders are now installing the Coyote engine - in fact, it seems to be that it's the most common power source these days.

Well, I've been looking at another project - even though the '65 Mustang race car isn't done yet - and was hoping to get some helpful advice from you knowledgeable Coyote guys, especially if you've ever installed one in a full-size Galaxie or Country Squire from the early sixties.

For years my fancy has been tickled by the thought of an original appearing early '60s Country Squire wagon (complete with fake wood on the sides) with a Coyote and a six-speed manual. It'd make a perfect car for cruise nights, parts runs, dog hauling, and perhaps a cross-country trip on Route 66. Recently, I came across a possible candidate and have been researching the process for installing the Coyote. It seems fairly straight forward, but would like to hear from those who have been involved first hand so I know what to look out for in the process.

Also, even if you haven't been involved in this particular swap, I'm sure those of you who have used Coyote engines in your FFRs will have some suggestions on things like the best year for the engine, what transmission, e-packs, pedals, and such... as well as potential sources for good used set-ups.

My thought is to get a pallet engine / trans combo with all the necessary wiring and controls - basically what some of you do when building your FFR - and then make it work in the wagon.

Fire away with your comments, suggestions, cautionary tales, and encouragement.

Not my car.... just a file photo of a '64 as an example.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay - getting ready to take the plunge into this new project.... made an offer on an all-original 23k mile '64 in Wimbledon White (like the one above), but with red interior. It currently has a 390 with a three-speed manual trans, so the right number of pedals at the start.

We'll see if it goes through - now to get busy working on an old-school single axle trailer to haul the FFR behind the wagon.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Project planning spinning out of control and taking on a life of its own...... would ya lookit what I found.... Maybe a Voodoo instead of a Coyote for that '64 wagon - now that would wake up the exhaust (and the neighbors).

And no, I didn't buy it... just window shopping. Nice to know this stuff is starting to hit the market, though.

Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool project Chris. the more I see these old wagons the more I like them. Add a Coyote drivetrain and modern suspension & brakes and you have an uber cool cruiser. A Voodoo would take it to a whole new level. A friend of mine's dad resto-modded an old Oldsmobile about 15 years ago that turned out absolutely beautiful. He also used it for hauling his hotrods.

About 2 months ago I was at a local shop that was installing a Coyote drivetrain in a 90's Mustang, He was showing me the "Running Pallet" that he had bought (he didn't say where), but it came with EVERYTHING already hooked up, connected, wired, and plumbed on the pallet. Just add gas & battery and it runs as-is on the palllet. I thought this was a great way to go for one of these projects.

Good luck on this project and keep us posted, that looks cool!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    So Gumball, did this deal go through? It sounds like a great idea to me. I can't say enough nice things about the Coyote. It is a great power plant!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    So Gumball, did this deal go through? It sounds like a great idea to me. I can't say enough nice things about the Coyote. It is a great power plant!
    It did not - found some concerning things on the car I was looking at, so his top-dollar asking price became an issue. Upgraded the '17 GT350 to a GT350R, instead, and I'm continuing the search for the right wagon. It's out there, just waiting for the seller to become ready to part with it, and for me to find him. Sort of cool, when you think about it that way.....
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I love what you are contemplating! I'm a long distance traveller and would love to have a wagon. I have a friend here in the Phoenix area that is currently building a 67 Fairlane (?) wagon for his wife that he is putting a Coyote with A/T in. It is currently a rolling chassis ready to set the body on. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay - time to resurrect this thread. I'm back on the hunt for a Country Squire (or Country Sedan) to build into the perfect period correct tow vehicle, cross-country cruiser, and dog hauler. I've honed my focus a bit and I'm searching for a '61 or '62 in wimbledon white with red interior. Definitely going with a Coyote for power, but not sure if I'll make it an auto or manual conversion. If anyone has leads on a nice, solid prospect, PM me with details.

Here's a pic of the look I'm going for.....Ford_Galaxie_Country_Squire_Wagon_eBay_1417658869.jpg
    Last edited by Gumball; 02-04-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074