FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodney Archer's build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Rodney Archer's build thread

Hey everyone, I have been lurking around here for a while and have spent hours reading through the build logs. I have some quick questions about placing my order. I think I have missed the year end sale (50% off options if over $5000) but was wondering if there are any other sales coming up. I thought once or twice a year they have a sale?

Also, what is the typical time frame from time of order to ready to ship? I understand the shipping is a variable especially with the weather and that I am in California.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by RodneyArcher; 02-15-2018 at 04:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney,

Was just at the factory this past Thursday. I think the sale runs till Dec 31. I placed my order in person with Dan and got a $5,090 discount. I think if you call them (not sure if they are around on Saturday) or place an order on the website I bet you can still get the discount.

Dave from Marketing said they are running about 6 to 8 weeks on build time. This discount was a big success and they have a bunch of orders to fill. Our order is scheduled to be ready in Mid-March but that is due to us saying we are in no hurry and they agreed to delay slightly until we can get out there to pick it up.

Good Luck

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Steve and congrats on the order and upcoming build!

I tried calling them today and it seems like they are closed. I guess I can place the order online and adjust as needed. I have some questions on what options I want / need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what is on my build sheet so far...

MK4 Complete Kit, Powder Coated Chassis, Headers 5.0 Coyote Stainless 4 Port Full Length Headers, Body Cutouts, Leather Seats, IRS,Coyote Power Steering, GPS Gauges, 18” wheels/tires, assembled louvers, battery cut-off switch, front & rear sway bars, drivers side and passenger side chrome roll bars with gromets, Koni double adjustable coil overs, wind wings, sun visors, floor mats, center dash support, 14" leather steering wheel, double adjustable IRS front and rear shocks, IRS Center section, spindles and hubs, 12.88" Willwood front and rear brake kit, and the Coyote installation kit.

I am struggling with what to eliminate from the options (if anything) and what I should be getting from others (Forte, Breeze, etc.)

Thank again for all the support and Happy New Years!

Post Thanks / Like
    You've configured a highly optioned build there! If you're trying to get in on the sale, which is an excellent one and seems that you still have time, go for it. You're not locked in. You can change aspects of it up until the actual production time. I've called several times to make changes on orders I've placed, apologizing each time, and they said don't worry about it. Happens all the time. There are other sources for some of the things on your list, e.g. power steering, shocks, brakes, IRS center section/spindles/hubs. But the core of what you have there is going to be from Factory Five.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks edwardb, do you think there will be other sales coming soon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyarcher1 View Post
    Thanks edwardb, do you think there will be other sales coming soon?
    Sorry, I have absolutely no idea. And neither would anyone else outside of Factory Five. As already mentioned, they typically have a couple a year. But the exact details, timing, etc. aren't public knowledge until they're announced.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney,

Welcome to the community. I'm a bit envious of the build you have laid out. If I were you, I'd get the order placed on-line before this particular sale ends. They typically only have one like this a year and the others that pop up usually won't save you as much money as the current sale. As everyone else has said, you will be able to make changes to your order all the way up to about two weeks before your planned completion date. All you'll need to lock in is to give FF a deposit that they will take when they call you to review your order. Until you give them that deposit, you aren't committed to anything.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    DEPOSIT PAID!!!!

I have waited for so many years for this and still can't believe iit's happening!

Post Thanks / Like
    DEPOSIT PAID!!!!

I have waited for so many years for this and still can't believe iit's happening!
    Congratulations! Now comes the worst part of the entire process; waiting for the car to arrive.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    DEPOSIT PAID!!!!

Congrats! Its a blast, enjoy and keep us updated, we are here to help and help ya spend money!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Any chance you would be willing to share your contacts for the Gen 3 Coyote? I am looking at doing the same set up that you are doing in your Coupe (if the trans will fit in the roadster).

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Any chance you would be willing to share your contacts for the Gen 3 Coyote? I am looking at doing the same set up that you are doing in your Coupe (if the trans will fit in the roadster).

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Thanks!
    My understanding is the T56 will fit in the Roadster with IRS, which you listed in your plan. Might be a little tight, specifically mainly for the e-brake (?) but I don't know for sure. As I recall, you may have to slightly modify the transmission mount frame. The Coupe appears to have a little more room in the transmission tunnel, the e-brake is on the top vs. on the side, and the mount was designed to also include the T56. So I'm hoping it will fit without any drama. Time will tell.

Regarding the Gen 3 Coyote crate, for me it's a question of whether it will fit in the Coupe and when it will be available. The "fit" part is specifically about the direction injection (DI) pump that's mounted on the RH cylinder head. Appears to be very close to the Coupe chassis rail in that area. Note this doesn't appear to be an issue with the Roadster. I haven't seen the Gen 3 Coyote yet -- only pictures -- but the Roadster is open in that area of the engine compartment. So should not be an issue.

I don't want to give out specific contact information. But I will keep my Coupe build thread updated with what I'm able to learn. I expect Factory Five to be following this as well. They were represented at the recent PRI show in Indy where Ford displayed the Coyote Gen 3 crate.
    Last edited by edwardb; 12-30-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where in CA are you located? There are lots of builders around that would love to help etc. You can add your city to your profile page so I show under your screen name .

Welcome to the family.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, you won’t regret it. I’m two months into my build and loving it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the new Gen 3 Coyote at SEMA, unfortunately at that time I didn't even know what to look for as far as size. Thank for the input and I will follow your new build.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Bakersfield, I tried to edit my profile but was unsuccessful. Hopefully that isn't a sign for the upcoming build...ha ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Bakersfield, I tried to edit my profile but was unsuccessful. Hopefully that isn't a sign for the upcoming build...ha ha.
    Think you need 20 posts before you can add that info. Post a few more times and you will be there.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the new Gen 3 Coyote at SEMA, unfortunately at that time I didn't even know what to look for as far as size. Thank for the input and I will follow your new build.

I think Duke used a T-56 if I am remembering correctly. Check his build thread. I emailed with my guy at Ford (mutual friend of mine and EdwardBs(Paul)) this week about the Gen 3 coyote. He indicated the lower dimensions of the coyote are still essentially the same. The part in question is on the upper passenger side of the motor and as Paul mentioned it doesn't appear to be an issue with fitment in the roadster. Duke also used a coyote so with that being said it appears the Gen 3 coyote/T-56/IRS package should be able to work out.

As far as options from FFR I will throw my input out there as well. Like you when I ordered I loaded up on FFR options. Partly because they were half off and partly because I did not know a lot about the aftermarket vendors and some of their products that were a good substitution to what FFR offered. I also liked the ease of getting all the IRS parts and brakes from FFR. Simplified my process a bit. I will say in some cases the aftermarket substitutions are a definite upgrade and generally there is a small price premium for that upgrade. However when the FFR pieces are 50% off it now becomes a significant price premium for the upgrade and I think the FFR option is the way to go because paying twice or more for an somewhat upgraded option is not really worth it in my opinion.

I basically got all the same major options you did. I think you will be pleased. I was very dissatisfied with the coyote power steering kit but it is my understanding since I ordered they have significantly upgraded that kit and I think you will be just fine with that. You did not mention side pipes. That was my only other area of unhappiness in retrospect from what I ordered from FFR. The stock pipes were just to loud for my liking. Ear hurting loud after 30 minute drives. I ended up ditching those pipes for a quieter option. Not sure how you plan to go on pipes but I love my flow master slimline mufflers that I had welded in. They did not offer the Coyote full length headers either when I ordered so I cant speak to that. Otherwise I think you did very well with your order.

Welcome to the forum and feel free to reach out anytime with questions.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 12-30-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    DEPOSIT PAID!!!!

Nice! You will not regret it! Looks like a great build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you wareaglescott!!!

Between edwardb's and your meticulous write ups I'm sure I will reaching out on more than one occasion (if it becomes too much just let me know...ha ha). I spoke with Tony (Factory Five) at SEMA and he mentioned the side pipes as well. He described it more of droning noise though. I figured I would go with what they offered and then can always swap out later if need be. I would assume that swap should be fairly simple to do.

Now getting the garage ready and to hurry up and wait!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you wareaglescott!!!

Between edwardb's and your meticulous write ups I'm sure I will reaching out on more than one occasion (if it becomes too much just let me know...ha ha). I spoke with Tony (Factory Five) at SEMA and he mentioned the side pipes as well. He described it more of droning noise though. I figured I would go with what they offered and then can always swap out later if need be. I would assume that swap should be fairly simple to do.

Now getting the garage ready and to hurry up and wait!
    Yep it is simple to swap. Just more money. We are good at spending your money here.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I ordered my kit in November, I asked about deleting the pipes and was told they would not give a credit for them. I was able to delete some other items that I am going aftermarket on like the seats for credit. I figured that I would use the stock pipes for go carting and maybe some drag strip runs just because they are louder. They seem to be easy to sell when you don’t want them any more. My kit was completed on the 23rd and I am anxiously awaiting Stewart’s call at this point!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am SOOOOO jealous!!! Congrats!! Keep us posted on how it goes!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there anybody that has gone through the build process near Bakersfield?

So I have been going through the notebook that I have been using to write down all of my "wants". I will post here and gladly accept and advice.

1. All LED lighting. Need to find good quality headlights. I would also like to incorporate interior LED foot well lighting.
    2. Dyno-mat as much as possible for both heat and sound. Open to suggestions on best product for this.
    3. I would like to use something similar to this...https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9415548/00622 in a series to operate initial power on, seat heaters, and additional electrical switches that are still TBD.
    4. Push button start (Watson's Street Works?)
    5. Drop trunk mod
    6. Turn signal mod
    7. Trunk mount battery
    8. USB Charger ports
    9. Cup Holders
    10. Pocket on trans tunnel for cell phones?

Plus 100 other things as well!
    Last edited by RodneyArcher; 01-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Watson Street Works has a full LED light package for the mk4 kit that includes headlights and interior lights with magnetic door switches
    3. I have used this style switch in other applications. The issue I see for this confined interior is the red safety cover. It has to be up to turn the switch on and sticks out quit a bit. Flipping it down shuts off the switch. Placement would be important to avoid bumping it on accident and shutting off your car.
    7. Personally, I don’t understand putting the battery in the trunk. Trunk space is at a premium and it is a long cable run to the starter. I ordered Breeze’s battery tray for the engine compartment.

Just my 2 pennies.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. EdwardB is a great source on LED lighting info
    2. I used Thermo-tec. Bought on Amazon. Cheaper than Dyna mat and works just as well. Very pleased with that product.
    4. Jazzman used Watson street works push button starter - last I talked with him he was having some complications with it. He would be good to message about that.
    7. Breeze forward battery mount works great with the Coyote and makes the wiring runs shorter. May be worth considering
    8. I put a under dash USB plug in. Used the radio wire on the Ron Francis harness to power it since I don't have a radio. Bought USB from dell city.
    10. I have a pocket on my trans tunnel I intended for my cell phone. I ended up just putting it in the door panel all the time instead. Found it was easier to get in and out of there in the tight space. Would not do one again on the trans tunnel but you may like it there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing a trunk mount battery inside of my drop trunk mod. you can check it out on my thread, I have posted multiple photos. I'm almost finished with it. I got the idea from 2Bking.
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried Watson's Street works pushbutton start with RFID security and never got it to work. Spent several full days and several phone calls with them. Engine would never turn over. Finally took 15 minutes, ripped it all out and wired in a standard ignition switch and voila, it turned over. Stayed with the switch and never looked back.

Just my personal experience... But I'm usually pretty good with this stuff.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    February 17th!!!

That's the scheduled completion date. I thought I had more time...time to get some things done in the garage and start planning for delivery!

Post Thanks / Like
    Feb 17. Dave said about 6 week kit prep time. Was pretty much right on, actually a bit faster than that!

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I have the frame dolly complete and will be finishing the body buck this weekend. I am planning on doing the elevated version so it will fit over the frame during the build process. Things are coming along and the arrival date is about a month away!!!

Frame Dolly.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I have the frame dolly complete and will be finishing the body buck this weekend. I am planning on doing the elevated version so it will fit over the frame during the build process. Things are coming along and the arrival date is about a month away!!!

Frame Dolly.jpg
    I'm planning on an elevated version too. Are you working from a design on this ? If so, can you share it ?

thanks!
    mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my plans from Jazzman, he was gracious enough to share both plans for the frame dolly and body buck. The links are in his signature but I copied it below.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-MkIV-Roadster

Without having the frame yet I'm not sure if I added enough height in wood for the size of my casters.

*Side note: I used MDF instead of plywood (I'm sure it will substitute ok for this purpose). If you get a 2' x 4' piece as the instructions call for make sure when cutting it that you don't go too far past your cut lines. There is a little room to adjust but there isn't much waste when making these cuts.
    Last edited by RodneyArcher; 01-31-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thankyou sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my build thread, I have detailed drawings of a raised buck with a heavy duty shelf for storing a lot of parts. If you are interested, check out my build thread...link in the sig. I wouldn't suggest building my version unless you need the storage.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question, when do you get access to build manual? I would like to start reading through it but my delivery is still a few weeks away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question, when do you get access to build manual? I would like to start reading through it but my delivery is still a few weeks away.
    You'll get a paper copy with your kit delivery. If you want an electronic version, $10 in the parts store. You'll get an immediate download. I like having the electronic copy even with the paper copy. Allows quick/easy searches. http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/sear...ssembly+manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rodney, Congrats on an awesome order. You will be truly happy with the combo chosen when complete!

Here are a few threads to help with pic hosting, and maintaining your thread title as you work the build:

Embedding pics:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tures-in-posts
    Maintaining thread titles:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...tle-Guidelines

You've already been granted full access so you are good to go with the pics, updating your profile and sig, etc.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast