FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR Fuel Tank for the 33

Post Thanks / Like

FFR Fuel Tank for the 33

Does anyone have pictures of the FFR-supplied fuel tank?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to opt for the Boyd tank, or spend the 600 bucks on other parts.

Curious, too, if FFR has made any recent improvements to the supplied tank in light of the mass defection to Boyd.

'Preciate any help, guys. This forum is a treasure chest of information for me. Without all of you, the rest of us would have to step on every land mine on the way to a complete car!

Bryon
    Last edited by bellingson; 01-13-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bellingson View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of the FFR-supplied fuel tank?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to opt for the Boyd tank, or spend the 600 bucks on other parts.

Curious, too, if FFR has made ant recent improvements to the supplied tank in light of the mass defection to Boys.

'Preciate any help, guys. This forum is a treasure chest of information for me. Without all of you, the rest of us would have to step on every land mine on the way to a complete car!

Bryon
    Hey Bryon, I can take some from mine tonight, i as well have been reading up on this and this blog is a wealth of info. I can also ping FFR to see what they have done to improve the tanks as well over the last couple years. In looking at photos i really don't see a huge difference other than possibly weld quality and the method of sealing the fittings to the tanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is mine

From what I have read there are just a couple things you have to do to resolve the filling issue. I went ahead and stuck with the stock one to see how it works out.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a list of those things to fix the filling issues?

Thanks for the pictures!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    (In before the the haters chime in)

I'm going to come clean on this one. For the longest time when the subject came up I advocated for using the stock tank unless you had a specific reason for upgrading. The stock tank works fine for modest HP applications and if you move the filler opening to the deck instead of the trunk, it will fill much easier (and it looks cool and you don't have to open the trunk to get gas and there's no risk of spilling fuel in the trunk). If installed properly and pressure tested before putting the body on it's fine to use. The rubber o rings need to seat correctly and the clamps are finicky to get set right but it will work. All that being said I've upgraded to the Boyd tank but for other reasons. I increased the performance of my fuel system with bigger injectors and fuel line and felt uncomfortable about an external pump sucking out the top of the tank cavitation/vapor lock). I even tried finding an old style original tank that was unused and would have welded on a sump to gravity feed the external pump but never found one. So I think it's personal preference, either one will work depending on your needs.

(Just noticed with the redesigned FFR tank, mounting the fill on the deck might no longer be an option)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    (In before the the haters chime in)

The stock tank works fine for modest HP applications
    I'll be running a 525 horse LS. Is there a flow rate limitation on the FFR tank to worry about?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looks like the tank has a large opening on the right side, well below the top of the rest of the tank. If that ever leaks, you'll have half a tank leaking all over. All opening should be on the top, IMO.

You can't beat an in-tank fuel pump, like a Walbro 255 LPH. That will feed the 525 hp motor. You'll need the WIX fuel filter/regulator with return to the tank, to work properly.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Most filling problems are due to the lack of a vent, specifically for the fill tube, in addition to the tank vent with roll-over valve. I had burping problems until I routed a 3/8" hose from the top of the tank to just below the filler cap. Fortunately my tank had two spare 3/8" NPT fittings on the top. With that mod, I can run the gas in, full blast until I get to the last gallon or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS53 View Post
    Most filling problems are due to the lack of a vent, specifically for the fill tube, in addition to the tank vent with roll-over valve. I had burping problems until I routed a 3/8" hose from the top of the tank to just below the filler cap.
    I just saw that mod on another 33 owner car - a new fitting that will run hose into the main filler hose.

I wonder why we couldn't just T off the existing vent line (which comes off top of tank), and take that to the filler?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    I just saw that mod on another 33 owner car - a new fitting that will run hose into the main filler hose.

I wonder why we couldn't just T off the existing vent line (which comes off top of tank), and take that to the filler?
    The roller-over valve is about 2 inches long. It might fit, with a close nipple off the tank, then a tee with the fill tube vent coming off the side, then another nipple (vertical), then a coupling, if there's room above the top of the tank. You don't want the filler tube vent restricted or it won't work. With limited room a dedicated 90 degree street elbow (male x female) is usually needed to feed the filler tube vent.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd97.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be running a 525 horse LS. Is there a flow rate limitation on the FFR tank to worry about?
    I think what bothered me was having the pump outside the tank and having to suck up out of the tank. I was concerned with vapor lock or cavitation in the line. I would have felt better if I had added a sump to the bottom of the stock tank with an outlet fitting on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    We recently tried to fit the tank and instead of trying to "make it fit", we opted for a small trim of the corners and while we did that we moved our fill spout to the angled side. It cost me $60CDN but was well worth it with the final results.
    20180222_190737.jpg 20180222_190647.jpg 20180222_190619.jpg 20180222_190612.jpg
    We still need to rework where we will be filling the tank but i think this is more workable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at the weld quality and decide for yourself if you trust it. I opted for the Boyd tank, the FF tank leaked when I applied 1psi of air pressure and soap solution to welds. There were over 2 dozen leaks in it most notably around the fittings. Look at the pictures AJT '33 submitted around his adapted fill neck and the original welds around the fitting.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five folks -- Are you paying attention??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeman View Post
    Take a look at the weld quality and decide for yourself if you trust it. I opted for the Boyd tank, the FF tank leaked when I applied 1psi of air pressure and soap solution to welds. There were over 2 dozen leaks in it most notably around the fittings. Look at the pictures AJT '33 submitted around his adapted fill neck and the original welds around the fitting.

Bob
    When I had it modified they did a leak test on the whole tank and it's all good. Unfortunately I screwed up and did not put the fill spout far enough forward go avoid the trunk hinge. going to have to bring it back and have it moved.... crap! Oh well!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five folks -- Are you paying attention??
    They are, sent all the details to Tony so I am confident they will take note as he liked the change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had an email from Tony Zullo waiting in my inbox first thing this morning with a picture of the current top-fill tank design.

I guess that answers my question: The Factory Five folks ARE listening!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Had an email from Tony Zullo waiting in my inbox first thing this morning with a picture of the current top-fill tank design.

I guess that answers my question: The Factory Five folks ARE listening!
    Could you please share with us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony said:

"Morning Bryon

Hope all is well! Don’t know how old your hot rod is but we have revised the tank so the fill is part of the top of the tank…

This is the only picture I have sorry if it’s to dark…

Thanks !"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, can't seem to be able to post the image.

Post Thanks / Like

You just got over 20 post so you should be able to post the photos now.

I got my tank with my Hot Rod about 7 months ago and it does not have the tank fill at the top. Must be something very new.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    ugh. i suppose I should be happy it's changed for new builds, but ugh..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Talked with Dave Correia with FFR this afternoon to finalize my order that will be complete March 10th. Had him check with Tony on new fuel tank and call me back. He called back and stated I would get the new top fill tank design on my order. Thank everyone for bringing the issue to light or I would never have known to ask. Was prepared to order the Boyd tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to post pictures now that you have 20 posts... can you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony said:

"Morning Bryon

Hope all is well! Don’t know how old your hot rod is but we have revised the tank so the fill is part of the top of the tank…

This is the only picture I have sorry if it’s to dark…

Thanks !"
    My '33 kit arrived today, I'll unbox the FF tank tomorrow and see if it's the new design.....I hope so.
    I ordered my kit on 12/26/17.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-27-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is the new or old style fuel tank. The welds do look good.

image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the same tank as I have. The fill tube is on the side of the tank... Close to the top, but still on the side and not on the top by any means.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Not sure if this is the new or old style fuel tank. The welds do look good.

image.jpeg

That's the old style.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about any one else but to me being a welder by trade the welds look like my 15 year old grandson did them. Look closely at the the weld around the fitting and at lower left corner lots of unfused material and pinholes that I see. If in fact FF did upgrade the tank I would sed this one back and request the newly designed one.

If nothing else I would buff all the welds and have a shop or buddy reweld the seams, if your close to Onalaska, Tx I will do it for you. it'll cost a you a case of beer though.
    The offer stands for any one in the Houston metro area and don't mind driving 1-1/2 hours north to Onalaska,

Just my two cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been asking FFR today about this 'new tank'. Just had it confirmed too:

"FFR does have a new tank design that is better flowing than the original and comes with new fuel level/pick-up, filler gasket and trunk front wall aluminum."

So, a few related parts have changed too. No pics yet.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    All, not a good shot but this is how the fill location is now setup on the new tank, much higher.
    IMG_0222 - Copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it will fill fast now that's for sure. Don't like that you can't mount the fill to the deck though.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That picture is actually of one of the prototypes, the production tanks have also been designed to use a different pickup/level sender that is all in one and has a bolt in flange.

tankfront.jpgtankrear.jpg
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    That picture is actually of one of the prototypes, the production tanks have also been designed to use a different pickup/level sender that is all in one and has a bolt in flange.

tankfront.jpgtankrear.jpg

And is freakin' Awesome!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    I think what bothered me was having the pump outside the tank and having to suck up out of the tank. I was concerned with vapor lock or cavitation in the line. I would have felt better if I had added a sump to the bottom of the stock tank with an outlet fitting on the bottom.
    I just unpacked the fuel pump box last night. My pump goes in the tank. Dec 2017 order, delivered on Feb 24th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I just unpacked the fuel pump box last night. My pump goes in the tank. Dec 2017 order, delivered on Feb 24th.
    Jim,
    Be sure to check the pressure and volume of the FFR pump against the LS3 fuel requirements.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    This install is clean, looks good... but then I thought about it... You have to pull the seats, roll bar(s) and waterfall to replace the fuel filter? And how noisy is that fuel pump?
    Wouldn't a better placement for both be under the tank? The filter would be easily accessible for replacement, and moving that noisy fuel pump away from the passenger compartment.

Post Thanks / Like
    So are you able to get the new tank out with the body on?