Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  51
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 35 Hot Rod Pickup

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wallace18's 35 Hot Rod Pickup

Since the build thread is open now I wanted to post how I am getting ready for my kit kinda like Erik. I put down my order as soon as FFR would let me. I have since bought everything I need to put it together once I get the kit here in Florida. I am using engine and AOD from a 1988 Lincoln LSC I bought a while back on Craigs list. The rear end is out of a 2009 Mustang GT with low miles. I hope as soon as the weather warms up to clean and paint the unit as well. Last week I disassembled the 5.0 and checked out everything I could reuse. Threw out all the stuff I won't use. I ended up replacing all the bearings and rings for the bottom end. I had a Trick Flow top end kit that was used in the Challenge Series to finish off the long block. I will end up using FITech F.I. and have the AOD professionally rebuilt with shift kit and 3000 stall converter. It does get cold once in a while here in Fl. It was 32 in my shop at 8 AM. Solid frost in the yard and bird bath froze solid. It has been like getting Christmas presents the last few weeks with all the parts coming Fed EX and UPS. I am planning on this being a nice cruiser type build. I will post here as I do other stuff.

Kit is ordered as follows. I may add wood bed and floor mats if available at time of pick up.
    Hot Rod Truck Kit
    302 engine install
    Powder coated frame
    AOD drive shaft
    Vinyl bench seat
    Chrome tilt column
    Gauge cluster
    Electric P/S
    Hot Rod A/C kit

IMG_2239.JPGIMG_2240.JPGIMG_2236.JPGIMG_2237.JPGIMG_2253.JPGIMG_2254.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPGIMG_2246.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallace18; 03-27-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: 2009 rear now used, no 3-link option

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on my drive train a bit. I cleaned and painted the outside of my AOD that I had rebuilt. It has a shift kit, 1 qt larger aluminum pan and a 3000 stall B&M converter. I bolted all up and started on my Lokar shifter stuff. Also installed my starter.

IMG_2308.JPGIMG_2307.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom
    Those are good looking headers but the collector is pretty far back compared to the flywheel. You may want to look at nudging the
    engine forward a bit when you have the chassis in hand. The radiator is more straight up on the truck vs the 33 so I'm hoping that
    means more room for belt driven accessories etc. My concern is the tight turn to get the exhaust through the floor tubes of the
    chassis. Moving the engine forward will be a win win because of the extra footbox room that comes from the bellhousing shift.

I bought some tight radius SS bends from Wolff <sp? tubing to make that transition on the Hemi in my 33, good stuff IMO.
    Looking forward to watching the build as you blaze a new trail.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I will definitely keep an eye on them. Since they are replacements for the stock 5.0 shorty headers I do think they will work OK. I used similar ones on my first 33 without a problem. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent all morning cleaning and painting my 8.8. Still have to install the lugs.

IMG_2309.JPGIMG_2310.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Since the build thread is closed for now
    Build threads should be opened soon, surely? Looks like things are happening!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have done all I can do till I get called to go get my kit. I did clean out the shop, as well as put all the 35 stuff on the 4-post lift.

IMG_2311.JPGIMG_2312.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some great news today. My 35 kit will be ready for pick up ( pun intended) on 4/7/18. I just wired the money and found out I will get the first customer one after the BETA builders, Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is 2 weeks after yours - April 28!

Got some great news today. My 35 kit will be ready for pick up ( pun intended) on 4/7/18. I just wired the money and found out I will get the first customer one after the BETA builders, Woo Hoo!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well its up to you to set the bar high! We know you will.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to wait until 5-26.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Just worked out a deal with my painter Chris. I will build him a MK4 and he will in turn do the paint and body work on my 35 P/U. Works great for both of us. Both kits will be ready about 4/7/18. Now I have to come up with a plan to bring both home at the same time in my trailer, LOL. I am hoping I can double stack them inside my trailer with some 4"x6"s and 3/4" plywood.

14. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

I think both of you got a great deal! Although, I think he may have ended up a bit better. I know he will be getting an awesome car, built to a very high standard!

I look forward to following along with both builds! I also look forward to seeing what kind of magic you will be pulling off to get both kits home...

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    After getting some measurements from Tony at FFR and RoadRacer I am 100% sure both kits will fit in my 20' FFR enclosed trailer. The 35 is 14' long but the frame is only about 19" wide at the very front. This allows me to put the 35 way into my v-nose on the floor up front. The distance from the frame front to the rear of the cab is 8'. This allows me 13'6" from the rear of the cab to the rear door. The MK4 is 13' long. I will build a platform above the 35 bed for the MK4 and stack them staggered. There will be plenty of room on the sides for boxes as well as my F-150 bed and rear seat area. We will have to attach the MK4 floor to 4"x6" side rails after the 35 is in place and tied down. Should be an adventure for sure, but will save me another trip and money. Thanks again to everyone who gave me measurements to make this happen.
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-17-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Noticed the wheels/tires in your pictures. What size are you using? I would like to stay with something in the 15" wheel size to lessen making the stock supplied brakes look tiny. I like the torque thrust designs. I realize you are limited in sizes with the 15's, but the large wheels require big Wilwoods to look right.
    Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    Noticed the wheels/tires in your pictures. What size are you using? I would like to stay with something in the 15" wheel size to lessen making the stock supplied brakes look tiny. I like the torque thrust designs. I realize you are limited in sizes with the 15's, but the large wheels require big Wilwoods to look right.
    Thanks, Ralph
    I got them from these folks.
    https://www.wheelsforless.com/About_Us.html

J used 15x10x3.75 in the rear and 15x8x4.5 in the front. I hope my backspacing will be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some bad news today. They decided to not support the older 8.8 rear ends. 2005 -2014 Mustang GT rear ends will be the only ones the chassis will support. I have a rebuilt 88- 8.8 with new 5-lug axles, aluminum rear cover, 3.27 rear gears and 3-link with extra support bar for sale now. $600.00 plus shipping.
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-20-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some bad news today. They decided to not support the older 8.8 rear ends. 2005 -2014 Mustang GT rear ends will be the only ones the chassis will support. I have a rebuilt 88- 8.8 with new 5-lug axles, aluminum rear cover, 3.27 rear gears and 3-link with extra support bar for sale now. $600.00 plus shipping.
    Looks like you have the first part (8.8) of the next project after the 35
    Now go back and edit out the first sentence of your first post, it just confuses us slow kids when we see that the "thread is closed".
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Just Found a 2009 GT rear end with only 46K miles on it in Moultrie Ga. Going to get it Friday. Sold my other 8.8 today as well, Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just Found a 2009 GT rear end with only 46K miles on it in Moultrie Ga. Going to get it Friday. Sold my other 8.8 today as well, Woo Hoo!
    Somebody got a good deal on that rear end

FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, you are on a roll. Keep us advised.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday morning I picked up my 2009 GT rear end. Lots of cleanup and painting ahead, again.

IMG_2336.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    For those wondering how I am going to bring home 2 kits in one 20" trailer here is what I worked out with measurements from Tony at FFR. The P/U is 14' long but the front of the frame is only 20" wide. This will allow me to put the frame up in my V-Nose and gain another 20" over the 20' trailer interior. The back of the cab is 8' from the front of the frame. This gives my 13'6" to the rear door. The game plan is put the 35 on the floor all the way up front and tie it down. I have made a frame that will sit above the frame area of the 35 for the MK4 to sit on above the rear of the truck frame behind the cab. The truck frame behind the cab is only 20" tall as delivered. My staggered deck is 24" tall. this gives me 46" to the top of my door way. The MK4 is 13' long and 27" tall. I made all the second floor and center supports removable so we can load the 35 and then install the second deck. Should be some kind of adventure for sure. But it will save me another trip or paying shipping. Lots of room for boxes in trailer, F150 P/U bed and rear seat of F150. Sorry for crude drawing but I thought it would help folks visualize.

IMG_2352.JPGIMG_2353.JPGIMG_2358.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-09-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You must be really good with a tape measure.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty cool - shipping is so expensive! Until you realize they are driving 2-3000 miles for many of us
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a great plan, can't wait to watch the builds!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    That's pretty cool - shipping is so expensive! Until you realize they are driving 2-3000 miles for many of us
    We paid for 2 semis to deliver the materials for our home from Asheville, NC to Custer, SD, almost $11,000. The manufacturer (DELTEC HOMES) has delivered as far away as Manchuria. I wonder what that cost

Post Thanks / Like
    Loaded up and strapped down 8.8 to deliver to FFinisher when we get up to FFR in April.

IMG_2359.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    always look forward for your builds im sure you wont disappoint!

Post Thanks / Like
    Had time today to clean and paint my 2009 Mustang GT rear end for the 35. The calipers leaked and rotors are rusty so I will install new ones for that part. After wire brushing off all the rust I painted with Rust-oleum rust reformer then gloss black. Came out nice, IMO.

IMG_2397.JPGIMG_2401.JPGIMG_2402.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    In case anyone wants to know the difference between the 92 Mustang 8.8 and the 2009 I have for my 35 here it is in pictures. The one with tires is a 92 the one with just rotors is a 2009. Big width differance.

IMG_2407.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I thought they said the difference was about 5" in the axle they planned to ship, but that looks a bit more.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed new rotors, rebuilt calipers, pads and reinstalled the E-Brake cables.

IMG_2411.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got an email from Tony Zullo at FFR. I am picking up my 35 kit on April 9th. Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome Tom!! Looking forward in following your build thread.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    All loaded up and ready to go Friday morning to get the 35 and a MK4. I have stops in NC, PA the first 2 days. Hope to be in Wareham on Sunday evening. Stay at the Towneplace overnight. Then get to FFR early Monday morning to load up. Weather should be OK but very cold up in the NE. I will miss our 80's down here for sure, LOL.

IMG_2414.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Safe travels Tom.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it up to Wareham about 4 PM yeserday. Going to pick up the pick up this morning, LOL. I will post pictures later.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, you posted at 4:05AM. You are not anxious for the pickup
    are you?
    Like me. Ralph

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast