Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  51
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 35 Hot Rod Pickup

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    We made it to FFR Monday morning and met with all our FFR family members. Chris was very impressed with all the showroom cars. Dave gave us a tour and was so kind to us there. Tony, Dan, Nate, FFR-Chris and Sally were all so helpful. I can't remember everyone else's names. Part of being 60 years old I guess, LOL. Mike Everson stopped by to say hello. It was great to finally meet Mike in person. We loaded the 35 and tied it down. Then Chris Dobbs and I put the MK4 deck in. FFR Chris, Nate, Chris Dobbs and I then loaded the MK4 and all the boxes. Everything fit in my FFR 20" trailer with room to spare. Thanks Tony for those measurement that made this possible! We left FFR at noon Monday and made it to Harrisburg, PA. It snowed the entire time we were in PA on Monday. Lucky nothing stuck to the road. Got up Tuesday Morning and made it home by 10:45PM. Here is a few pictures. I will start Chris's inventory and then mine. Hope to figure out how to get the MK4 out of the trailer on Saturday. We do not have FFR's boom and forklift, LOL. TW

IMG_2420.JPGIMG_2418.JPGIMG_2421.JPGIMG_2422.JPGIMG_2423.JPGIMG_2425.JPGIMG_2426.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That is one exceptional trailer packing job! Look forward to following the truck build.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Good meeting you Tom. Nice to put a face to all these post by you.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job of loading the truck and the car, looking forward to hear what you think of the truck as you start building it.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    That is one exceptional trailer packing job! Look forward to following the truck build.
    Great job

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Nice job with the trailer; you had plenty of room left too!

I look forward to following along with both builds. However, I am really anxious to see the '35 truck come together!

Best of luck with both projects!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Got all the boxes out of the trailer yesterday. MK4 inventory done. 35 is half way done. My buddy Jerry Ryan helped with the 35 inventory. Hope to finish it up today and start getting the MK4 stuff going. No manual for the 35 yet but it came with the 33 manual so the front part is the same as far as suspension and engine stuff. I am sure lots of new stuff is to come. I was told it is still a work in progress. No problem for me I have the MK4 to do. I am just so stoked to get one of the first customer 35's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see you back home safe and with both kits. I'm customer kit #4 and now a bit worried about them saying it's a work in progress. I'll be interested to see what that means. I'm hoping that we aren't going to be subsidizing their R&D while paying full price for the kit. We'll see and I still remain excited about the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater35 View Post
    Nice to see you back home safe and with both kits. I'm customer kit #4 and now a bit worried about them saying it's a work in progress. I'll be interested to see what that means. I'm hoping that we aren't going to be subsidizing their R&D while paying full price for the kit. We'll see and I still remain excited about the project.
    What I meant to say is they are still finalizing some supplier stuff and manual. That its the price you will always pay for being among the first ones. I went thru that with the 818. If that sorta thing is a bother I always tell folks wait 6-12 months before ordering. I am in no hurry so it is all OK with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    What I meant to say is they are still finalizing some supplier stuff and manual. That its the price you will always pay for being among the first ones. I went thru that with the 818. If that sorta thing is a bother I always tell folks wait 6-12 months before ordering. I am in no hurry so it is all OK with me.
    Totally fair. Can't wait for mine in about 4 weeks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    /... I am just so stoked to get one of the first customer 35's.
    Actually, I was told you are the FIRST customer car that isn't a beta build.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Actually, I was told you are the FIRST customer car that isn't a beta build.

That is true.
    Did not want to brag. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    That is true.
    Did not want to brag. LOL
    Oh great, David is stroking your ego, now we need to get you a metal hat band so your head won't swell.
    Now hurry up and finish that 35 so you can drive it to the Nostalgia drags. See you there
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the 35 Truck kit look? Welds good, finish on the body. Anything missing? Any other issues?

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR World is watching Tom!! No pressure Looking forward to seeing pics of the little changes made to the chassis on the truck. Liked Dave's announcement of full roll cage and structural running boards...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the kind words. I will be building the MK4 first for Chris my painter. Then my 35. I am exchanging labor for a paint job. Plus there is a fairly big list of POL parts so it works out great for me to wait. I will post every day when I start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    How does the 35 Truck kit look? Welds good, finish on the body. Anything missing? Any other issues?

I really like the 35. The welds are the usual great job by FFR welders, IMO. Body is looking comparable to MK4, Gen3 Type 65, IMO. I am very happy with what I see so far. See post #56 about parts. Being Chassis #4, I knew there would be some stuff coming later. All part of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, my build is close to yours. My shop is in Bushnell. I start my build in November when I return. I’d like to meet you when I come down. I’m going south on 75 in a little over a month in my motorhome, headed to Bushnell.
    Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prslegmaker View Post
    Wallace, my build is close to yours. My shop is in Bushnell. I start my build in November when I return. I’d like to meet you when I come down. I’m going south on 75 in a little over a month in my motorhome, headed to Bushnell.
    Ronnie
    PM sent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I am held up waiting on parts for the MK4 build, I decided to do a little on my 35. I cleaned and painted the steel stuff for the front suspension. I use Brake Klean, Eastwood rust encapsulator, Gloss chassis paint instead of powder coat. I do not have to mess with ball joints. I remove all the boxes from my trailer and have all my 35 stuff on top of my 4-post lift. I jacked up the 35 and put a furniture dolly under it and just rolled it out of the trailer by myself. This way I can do some small stuff till Wednesday when I have surgery. I will be laid up for 7-14 days it seems. But at least all is unloaded now.

IMG_2548.JPGIMG_2549.JPGIMG_2550.JPGIMG_2554.JPGIMG_2553.JPGIMG_2555.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today was a good 35 day. I had my tires mounted and balanced on the wheels Dave Smith set me up with. 225/40/18 front and 245/40/18 rear. Rims are all FFR 8x18. I was able to install most of the front suspension and steering rack. Waiting on shock hats. Hope to do some more stuff tomorrow.

IMG_2556.JPGIMG_2557.JPGIMG_2560.JPGIMG_2562.JPGIMG_2563.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    My last day before surgery. So I got a lot done. I installed front brakes, hoses and front wheels. Waiting on front spring hats for all 4 shocks. I had 3 hot rod friends stop by and help me remove the cab from the chassis. I also installed the rear end and rear wheels. I ran into a couple easy to fix problems with the rear end. The lower control arms bolt to the rear with 14MM bolt. My steel bushings in my control arms were 12MM. I ended up drilling them out with 9/16" drill, easy peasy. Then the control arm bolts to the frame with 16 MM bolts. the frame holes are 13MM. Out with the drill again and problem solved. I am pretty sure FFR has this fix coming. I dropped Tony and Dan a Email. It felt good to at least have 4 wheels and tires on it. Still waiting on a ton of POL parts. I will be out of service for 1-2 weeks recuperating from minor surgery. Here is some pics.

IMG_2565.JPGIMG_2566.JPGIMG_2568.JPGIMG_2572.JPGIMG_2574.JPGIMG_2575.JPGIMG_2576.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 05-22-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Tom. Good luck with the surgery and the recuperating.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Just FYI my 2009 rear axle fits the driveshaft adapter perfectly if anyone wanted to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Surgery go OK? Nothing serious I hope! I also hope recovery goes without incident, and is swift and painless!!

I look forward to seeing you back in the garage soon.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything went well. I can't lift over 20lbs for the next 12 days. It is killing me not to work on truck or MK4, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Yeah, but could you lift 20 lbs before the surgery? HAHA

Pleased the surgery went well, and hope the rehab goes great. I know you miss working on the cars, but to be frank, I enjoy reading about all your hard work!!

I look forward to seeing you back at it.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Using my floor jack I mounted the fuel tank. For some reason there is no hardware to install the tank straps. I shot FFR an email about that. I had some 5/16" hardware laying around so I could finish it up. I am at a standstill on both kits till PLO parts come. Hope to hear good news from my Doctor tomorrow also.

IMG_2585.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Done all I can do for now on the MK4, so the 35 goes on the 2-post lift for some serious work starting Monday-Yea!

IMG_2616.JPG IMG_2617.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I got to work 3 hours on the 35 today. I installed the POL bushings for the rear lower control arms and the correct bolts for the front shocks. My kit did not come with a panhard bar. I guess it was a typo mistake on the rear suspension parts page. FFR is sending me one. I did locate the 3 front firewall pieces. I had to trim the areas around some welds for a good fit. Take you time and get everything aligned properly side to side and up and down. I will drill and tap the frame for 10-32 S/S button head screws with rubber backed washers for final install.

IMG_2621.JPGIMG_2622.JPGIMG_2624.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I tapped the frame for 10-32 S/S button head screws to install the firewalls. I mounted the battery and drilled the floors to mount in the chassis later.

IMG_2625.JPGIMG_2627.JPGIMG_2626.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I was asked to post better photos of the rear end install. I do believe the manual is coming soon. Here are a few . I hope this helps. Mine is a 2009 mustang rear.

IMG_2628.JPGIMG_2629.JPGIMG_2630.JPGIMG_2631.JPGIMG_2632.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I was asked to post better photos of the rear end install. I do believe the manual is coming soon. Here are a few . I hope this helps. Mine is a 2009 mustang rear.

IMG_2628.JPGIMG_2629.JPGIMG_2630.JPGIMG_2631.JPGIMG_2632.JPG
    Thanks , this is a great help ! Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, are those all suppled parts, or are some your custom items?
    Hope mine shows up in next few days.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    Wallace, are those all suppled parts, or are some your custom items?
    Hope mine shows up in next few days.
    Ralph
    Depends on what parts you are talking about. The S/S button heads for the firewall are all my own custom stuff I use. The rear end stuff came with the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I engine turned the firewalls and mounted them after I cut and drilled out for the Whitby Motors Power Brake kit. Also started to drill for interior aluminum some.

IMG_2633.JPGIMG_2634.JPGIMG_2640.JPGIMG_2639.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am installing the Whitby power brake kit. I also am using an AOD so no need for a clutch pedal. As you can see in previous post the kit comes with a template and you then drill out for mounting and pass thru for brake rod. You remove studs from Wilwood pedal box as well as pedals. Using the Wilwood shaft you mount the kits pedal to the pedal box and install pedal pad. I offset it to the left for extra clearance from the gas pedal. Then you mount the booster/master to the firewall as it shows in the directions that come with the kit. I used this setup from Whitby on my Type 65 Coupe and had great success. Here is a few photos .

IMG_2635.JPGIMG_2636.JPGIMG_2637.JPGIMG_2638.JPGIMG_2643.JPGIMG_2644.JPGIMG_2645.JPG

https://www.whitbymotorcars.com
    Last edited by wallace18; 06-20-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I was unclear. I meant the rear axle items. So, all from FFR. Great.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice engine turning Wallace! Mines in the mail to you, LOL
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up drilling and mocking up interior aluminum. I installed steering shaft thru firewall. Always dimple D-shaft so set screw really holds well. I then ran the front brake lines. I also ran the rear down the frame some. I have to go look for some braided lines for rear calipers.

IMG_2646.JPGIMG_2647.JPGIMG_2648.JPGIMG_2649.JPGIMG_2650.JPGIMG_2651.JPGIMG_2652.JPG

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast