Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  51
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace18's 35 Hot Rod Pickup

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found out why my POL parts are not showing up. My list got accidentally closed out. Lucky for me Jay at FFR is going to get going on sending me my POL stuff. All part of the fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Bruce Horkey in Minnesota for bed wood as well.
    https://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adubbelde View Post
    Check out Bruce Horkey in Minnesota for bed wood as well.
    https://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com
    Thanks, after checking these couple places I decided to buy wood and do it my self for about 1/5 the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Thanks, after checking these couple places I decided to buy wood and do it my self for about 1/5 the price.
    Hi Tom I am also making my own bed I think out of walnut . but I found these on ebay (polished stainless steel strips )
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/302675846495 he has others for less but no polished
    Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by herb fraser View Post
    Hi Tom I am also making my own bed I think out of walnut . but I found these on ebay (polished stainless steel strips )
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/302675846495 he has others for less but no polished
    Herb
    Thanks Herb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had some free time today. After squaring up the bed floor and sides, I drilled for my rivets down the road. Also drilled the rear cab flange for rivets down the road too.

IMG_2857.JPGIMG_2856.JPGIMG_2854.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, I noticed you commented on the gas tank filler fittings. Did you get the nice gas cap that fits in the bed. I didn't and don't even see it on my inventory listing.
    I noticed a picture of it in the Beta version of the assembly manual that was emailed today. Wahoo.
    Also, I see the wood bed liner on their options list on the order form for the pickup. Priced at $699.
    Ralph

PS. does the SS bed liner butt up against your trimmed cab bed lip that you drilled today in your last picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    Wallace, I noticed you commented on the gas tank filler fittings. Did you get the nice gas cap that fits in the bed. I didn't and don't even see it on my inventory listing.
    I noticed a picture of it in the Beta version of the assembly manual that was emailed today. Wahoo.
    Also, I see the wood bed liner on their options list on the order form for the pickup. Priced at $699.
    Ralph

PS. does the SS bed liner butt up against your trimmed cab bed lip that you drilled today in your last picture?
    You should be getting the fuel filler. FFR knows they omitted some items on early orders. The front of the bed lays up against my trimmed cab flange and the bed floor lays on top butted against the front S/S part. You should be getting your manual soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Trimmed dash with template and clearance around roll bars. Trimmed front and installed bulb seal. Take your time and do a little at a time.

IMG_2859.JPGIMG_2860.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you drill all the holes in your dash? Also, the small 4 hole panel below the gauge cluster opening, is that something you made up, or was it part of your shipped parts. I am missing the bulb seal if that was part of the supplied parts.

I hope you don't get irritated with all my questions.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rponfick View Post
    Did you drill all the holes in your dash? Also, the small 4 hole panel below the gauge cluster opening, is that something you made up, or was it part of your shipped parts. I am missing the bulb seal if that was part of the supplied parts.

I hope you don't get irritated with all my questions.

Thanks, Ralph
    Yes I drilled all the round holes. The part below gauge cluster is the A/C control panel. The bulb seal I had laying around from previous 10 builds. Feel free to ask questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a 36lb box from FFR of some of my POL parts. Electric steering, hub, fuel filler parts, hood hinges, templates. Unfortunately I am leaving on vacation so they will have to wait on my return. I do have enough to go-cart soon after I get back, Woo Hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Woo Hoo is right ! enjoy your vacation !
    herb

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it seems I had some free time today anyhow. I installed the electric P/S. You will most likely have to trim the motor mount plate and chassis motor plate as well to make it fit. At least I did for my 35. Do not forget to dimple the shafts so they stay secure and use red locktite. I mounted the ECU as well. Well that should be all till I get back, LOL.

IMG_2866.JPGIMG_2867.JPGIMG_2868.JPGIMG_2869.JPGIMG_2871.JPGIMG_2872.JPGIMG_2870.JPG

15. Likes Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was it your engine choice, headers, oil pan, that required the steering bracket mods? I noticed in previous posts that you installed spacers on the motor mounts. Can you elaborate on what caused issues.

Just curious, as I have a small block Ford and Canton split sump oil pan. Most of the capacity is to the rear of the pan.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    All that info is in prior posts. Just read thru. As in any kit you build there are always mods you may have to do. All part of the process. As long as you use regular shorty headers you should be fine. Though that oil pan may give you problems. Time will tell. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case you were wondering what I was up to I drove our truck and camper out to the west coast and back for a 3 week vacation. As well as visit family in Los Angeles. We drove thru FL, AL, MS, TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, ID and UT. Had a great time and saw really neat stuff. I did some work on the 35 today. I aligned the front end and wired up the Electric P/S. I have a few dash things to do then I will go-cart. Then I will put 35 aside to finish up MK4 for my painter.

IMG_2588.JPGIMG_3046.JPGIMG_3047.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Wouldn't mind seeing pics from your road trip.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put in the dash stuff and drove the 35 today. Very quick. Ran out of gas doing video, LOL. At least it was in my driveway.

IMG_3048.JPGIMG_3049.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Tom!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome job, looks great

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks and sounds great, Love the horn!

Post Thanks / Like
    HI Tom do you or anyone else know why I cant load the videos ?
    Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    You first must post your video to You Tube. Then you click on the second to last icon that looks like movie film. Copy the you tube web address (URL) for your video in the box and click OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    your the best , thanks Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build (again) Wallace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really looks and sounds great !
    Herb

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,
    Looks and sounds great.
    Will be sending a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, could you elaborate a bit on your assembly sequence for the rear roll-panel? The roll-panel, since it fits inside the side bed panels, it is hard to get in place unless you leave the side panels loose and force it into place. Then, it just flops around until you secure it somehow. Did you affix the roll panel to the frame first to stabilize, and then lay up the side panels? And, then reaching under to secure all the side panel bolts is a real test. I am trying to envision the process after everything is painted.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it in this sequence:
    1. Driver side panel securely affixed.
    2. Passenger side only half affixed
    3. Pull on the passenger side enough to get it in - didn't take loads of force but some.
    4. Then I put 2 holes and clecos on the under side affixing the side to the roll pan. Button heads and acorns are coming
    5. Then I put 1 hole on each side on the vertical face between the roll and and side below the bottom seam of the tailgate. Cleco for now, button head later.

I didn't attach it to the frame at all because it would have caused the fuel tank bracket to be modified.

So in short - the sides are fixed. The roll pan is fixed to them and it gets all pinched together with the tailgate at the top.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just removed the back few side fasteners on the drivers side and slid the roll pan in place then trimmed it to fit then attached it. You may need to remove and install a few times to get it correct. same goes with doors, hood, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally finished up my other projects and had some time to work on my 35. I drilled and tapped the chrome door hinges. Was going to install the t-hinge brackets to the chassis. I am 99.9% sure I did not get them or any of the hardware for the door hinge stuff. I sent a photo and email to Tony at FFR. I am sure he will make it right for me. The stuff I am missing is the brackets on page 305 of Beta manual. Here is what I have. I am pretty sure the 4 on the left are 33 brackets. The 3rd set is for the 35 rear door striker. and the last set is for the inner door frame stuff. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks, TW

IMG_3064.JPG

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 4 brackets on the left are not for the truck

the far right brackets are for the door bear claw assy inside the door

the brackets to the left of those are for the door striker pin
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    the 4 brackets on the left are not for the truck

the far right brackets are for the door bear claw assy inside the door

the brackets to the left of those are for the door striker pin
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony and David at FFR are sending me the missing stuff. Yea!

Post Thanks / Like
    My t- brackets and hardware came in. Here is a photo of them. If you got one of the early kits see if you have these. If not, contact FFR. Due to the MK4 and parts delays I will have to shelf the 35 for a little while. I promised a customer to build his MK4 starting the 20th. Leave me little 35 time. Maybe the rest of the POL parts will show during that time.

IMG_3075.JPGIMG_3076.JPG

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    The Hot Rod Grill & Lack Of Fenders Is Spot On Perfect!

Super Cool Truck Proving That Less Is Often More, Way More!

Post Thanks / Like
    Got in 3 hours today on the 35. I finished up my door hinges and mounted the frame, hinges and latch to the doors. Pretty simple stuff following the Beta manual. here is some pics.

IMG_3088.JPGIMG_3095.JPGIMG_3091.JPGIMG_3096.JPGIMG_3097.JPGIMG_3098.JPG

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    in the second picture... you have the bearclaw mount behind the main door piece... I had mine that way initially and ended up swapping the order... carriage bolt - bearclaw mount piece - main door piece - then nut... it worked great the way you have it now....until I installed the widows... then not so much.
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 10-15-2018 at 07:56 PM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    in the second picture... you have the bearclaw mount behind the main door piece... I had mine that way initially and ended up swapping the order... carriage bolt - bearclaw mount piece - main door piece - then nut... it worked great the way you have it now....until I installed the widows... then not so much.
    So if I understand you correctly you have Bolts then door skin, then latch, then inner door frame, then nuts is that correct? Jay at FFR told me the first batch of windows they received were incorrect, and a new batch that has the correct dimensions will be here mid November. I may wait to see if the way the Beta manual has them will work with the new windows. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by wallace18; 10-15-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast